Tracktion 4 Linux open beta available

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

pc999
Established Member

Tracktion 4 Linux open beta available

Post by pc999 »

http://www.tracktion.com/linux

Seems to work well, a few bugs but mostly stable, and really cool.

You can get some VST here
The "Tal" ones work flawless on my Ubuntu.

http://distrho.sourceforge.net/index.php
autostatic
Established Member

Re: Tracktion 4 Linux open beta avaiable

Post by autostatic »

I get an 'Illegal instruction (core dumped)' message when running it. I've done a gdb backtrace on it but not much interesting came out. I'm running stock Ubuntu 12.04 64-bits on a Intel Core Duo CPU. Maybe it crashes because I don't run Ubuntu 12 OS? Or maybe it detected that I'm kind of a Linux fanatic who doesn't really favor binaries starting with a capital ;) And according to the system requirements Linux is not supported?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

I was also assuming the illegal instruction error is related to some CPU optimization build flag mismatch. I recall getting these errors when testing Yoshimi or guitarix when they were build with non-matching optimization flags.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Same here with 12.04 64 bits, dual-core 6800
pc999
Established Member

Post by pc999 »

Runing perfectly on Ubuntu 13.04 (just a few bugs but nothing major).
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Looks interesting...

Too bad I can't even have a look... you need Ubuntu and 64bit..?! Nothing wrong at all with Ubuntu but counting Lightworks this is the second app to hit the streets spec'ing Ubuntu and 64bit, not liking this trend much at all... :(
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Well I do understand that 64bit is the new normal and of course it makes sense to start with 64bit betas, I do however believe that there are a lot of working and active 32bit machines still in use especially in developing countries that are going to be around for a while yet.. :wink: I'm more concerned by this whole "Ubuntu-only" mindset, I mean other great projects like Blender, Ardour/Mixbus, Skype, Chrome and even you falkTX are providing binaries that work on pretty much all Linux variants. It seems like some of these projects simply think Ubuntu IS Linux... of course it is a great and popular Linux but come on if they want to sell units to make money then they better aim a little higher than a single architecture on Ubuntu only.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

GMaq wrote:... other great projects like ... Ardour/Mixbus...
It may not require a 64-bit CPU but it definitely wants its recommended multicore.

Too bad for the old iron, but it's time to admit that backwards compatibility is not always possible or even desirable. New designs for new CPUs are more or less guaranteed to fail on older machines. Mixbus runs like a dead pig on my 2.4 GHz single-core but it flies right along on my dual-core laptop. Ditto for Ardour3 and other apps. I don't expect the devs to "write down" their software to accommodate ancient chipsets, in fact I want them to "write up" to the new possibilities. As others have said so frequently, 32-bits may well be useful but it is not the standard for contemporary hardware.

Yes, I know we can't all of us just run out and purchase new hardware. I wouldn't worry about it, there's plenty of available software that still runs sweetly on our cherished i386-compatible boxes. I don't *need* all the new stuff coming out - actually I don't need any of it - but if I want it I'll have to abide by its requirements. And I don't have a problem with that.

Best,

dp
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

I signed up for the licence at work and then finally came home to try and download it but it looks like it's not available to me anymore. Oh well, probably would not have worked anyway as I'm using KXstudio.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

it worked for me on ubuntu/kxstudio 12.04 but I couldn't figure out how to get midi working.

edit: nevermind, i've got some lasery sounds with noisemaker looping in tracktor, fun.
Excds
Established Member

Post by Excds »

I had totally missed this. Now I know what I'll be doing after work today...
Ever noticed something?
Unix comes with compilers.
Windows comes with solitaire.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

It works on a Core i5 I use at work. So it's probably some CPU flag mismatch. I've clicked around a bit but got quite annoyed by the tooltips popping up every time. And the Juce GUI seems a bit rough on the edges. Seems to work well with JACK though. Other than that, great that there's another alternative becoming available!
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

This is on 12.04. And I agree that this is not the best promo for your product but on the other hand they at least give it a try.
fedexnman
Established Member

Post by fedexnman »

I used to use Tracktion 1 as my 1st DAW , then T 2-3 it was exciting to see the original DEV get it back Jules , T4 has along way to go with bug fixes and stability , but they will get it there , dont know if the Linux version will survive though ? So, its Ardour3 for me at the moment , aside from my Windows7 stuff .
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

AutoStatic wrote: I've clicked around a bit but got quite annoyed by the tooltips popping up every time. And the Juce GUI seems a bit rough on the edges. Seems to work well with JACK though. Other than that, great that there's another alternative becoming available!
Those tooltips can be switched off from what I remember - I used to use Tracktion back in my windows days, and found the modeless interface made for quick results. I'm pleased they are doing a Linux version, even if it might take a while to get right.