Anyone usning Aritstx

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dweb98
Established Member

Anyone usning Aritstx

Post by dweb98 »

HI, I've just installed Artistx on a Debain System on my Hard Drive. Artistx is a Free Linux Live CD - DVD. You can discover this Multi Media, audio - video Distro at Artistx.org ... I followed the instructions on their web site to install it on my Hard Drive, sicne it runs allot faster that way for me. First you have to Download and install a Base Debain System, Etch -in-a-half is what I used. After you get Debain installed, you just have to copy and paste the commands from the Artistx web site into a Terminal and hit enter. Be Online for the install and this too... I'm still installing my favorite Apps and discovering all the new ones... I was hooked on Blag Linux for the past 3 years... but their servers went down and last time I checked, now one knew when they would be back up for updates and new apps. So, I decided to take this time to try something new. There are so many Apps - Programs with Debain and Artistx installed, that I have only begun to scratch the surface. Anyone who has tried it out, let me know what Ya think...

Don
DonSongs! Download Both Albums in MP3's Free! Also, there's Pages of my Songs, Poems and Pic’s of me and friends:>) www.DonSongs.com

Don
studio32

Re: Anyone usning Aritstx

Post by studio32 »

They don't seems to have a RT kernel.... So not an optimal distro for music production imho
Grep
Established Member

Post by Grep »

Yeah! They did not use rt kernel back then ,two years ago when I have tried Artistx the last time. Otherwise I liked the concept of installing basic Debian and pasting list of packages to turn it into DAW using apt-get.
Maybe the best way to try Linux audio distribution before installing,in my opinion is to Google 64studio-live 2.0 image for download for your arhitecture.I am running 64studio for almost two years,and it is also based on Debian but built with audio production in mind.I was also making recordings from live cd setup and it has worked fine.
dweb98
Established Member

Post by dweb98 »

Well, my machine is only a P4 2.4gig with 890mb of ram and it only runs 32 bit OS's. Do you have any ideas, given those parameters or... limitations?

Don
DonSongs! Download Both Albums in MP3's Free! Also, there's Pages of my Songs, Poems and Pic’s of me and friends:>) www.DonSongs.com

Don
dweb98
Established Member

Post by dweb98 »

Thanks for the link to Ardour... looks good, I will try that one out, it is already installed with Artistx or Debain Etch-n-a-half, not sure which... But that's what I'm running now after all the installs...

Don

Don
Grep
Established Member

Post by Grep »

dweb98 wrote:Well, my machine is only a P4 2.4gig with 890mb of ram and it only runs 32 bit OS's. Do you have any ideas, given those parameters or... limitations?

Don
There is version of 64 Studio for 32 bit architecture.There is also Jacklab and Ubuntu studio. IIf you are familiar with Linux and if you may want to install separate hard drive for Ardour session(i would go rather for sata then ide) to write to ,so you can relieve system drive during recording and I would try to move swap to the external drive if you have one.You can also move it to cheap usb stick but if you write often to usb sticks they wear off,so external hard drive trough usb might do a better job if handy.These measures and tweaking of your system(cutting all unnecessary services) should give your system some releif,but wont be able to make up for dual or quad core processor,with more memory available.Taken the low prices of the hardware these days,and the fact that software we are using for audio editing comes free for all of us,depending on the budget I would considere that option as well.
dweb98
Established Member

Post by dweb98 »

Thanks, I didn't notice the 32 bit mentioned on the 64 Studio site before... I'm downloading the Live CD to see what it's like. I do have an SATA HD that I got in a PC which I worked on for someone. The thing got zapped by lightning and blew the Mother Board... but the HD with Vista (vista of no use to me at all) works fine. the customer decided to just buy a whole new PC. My computer has no SATA interface, but I have been thinking about getting a USB Hard Drive Adapter for this 320GB SATA HD. Well, unless I get enough money from the present computer I'm working on, for someone else... to buy a Mother Board... I did quite a bit of looking around on the Debain Site and on Google to see if the version of Debian which I have... 27 Jul 2008 : Updated (4.0r4) aka etch-and-a-half... http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf
is an RT Kernel or not. It seems to me that it would be since it is one of the newest releases. But, I can't find any exact inf on Etch-And-A-Half and Real Time Kernels... Hmmm... If it is, then I might just try installing the apps that I like on the 64 Studio Live CD... since I already have a good Debian System up and running and I have already done allot of tweaking on it already...

Thanks,

Don

Don
Grep
Established Member

Post by Grep »

You can enable Etch repositories together with 64Studio repositories in your sources list or in Synaptic after installing 64Studio.I kept 64Studio rt kernel and music apps from their repository in my installation but all other packages I am getting from Etch repositories.For major upgrades I turn Etch off,leaving just 64studio repositories on.After Install I got Vlc player,Serpentine cd audio creator( just drag and drop wave files from folders and burn your audio cd quick as lightning,great app).I have manualy compiled Lame (needed to export your recordings into mp3) guide here: http://www.howtoforge.com/video_streami ... flowplayer
Recording studio basedEtch has its problems and for some things to work we need to roll up the sleeves and dig into .conf files(in Ubuntu Studio you can install Lame and other stuff with mouse click) but real time kernel performs great and system works just fine once set up.I hope it works for you too :D