Bounce Metronome now fully functions under WINE!!

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wolftune
Established Member

Bounce Metronome now fully functions under WINE!!

Post by wolftune »

Bounce Metronome is one of the most absolutely amazing and stunning music programs in existence. It starts with a deceptively simple idea that is beyond compare: the very best visualization for rhythm ever. Add to this support for complete range of swing, accents, polyrhythms, additive rhythms, huge numbers of options to adjust every detail, and some incredible harmonic just intonation rhythmic fractal evolutionary craziness at the advanced level, and much more

The software has been developed for Windows over many years and now, after my testing and communication with the developer over a couple months, it is fully functional under WINE!

The program is proprietary, but the terms of the license are exceptionally reasonable. The program is usable forever at no charge for the basic metronome features. The professional features are licensed at $30 for a lifetime license. Furthermore, the developer is extremely friendly and responsive and this is simply every bit as ethical as can be short of being fully FLOSS. There's even discounted license rates for students or third-world low-income users.

Nothing else compares to this and being able to use this without running Windows is a major win for Free Software and GNU/Linux!

Here's the listing at winehq: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=28065

And installation in KXStudio is as simple as downloading the installer and running it. Then just choose the MIDI through as the output, and with the alsa-midi bridge running, connect that to the input of any GM soundfont player, such as fluidsynth.

YAY! :D
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Re: Bounce Metronome now fully functions under WINE!!

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

This is rather wonderful :D

It prompted me scrap my existing broken wine setup and get it working so that I can play with it. Now I have no excuse for not getting to grips with stuff like tisra nadai misra chapu talam --- 3 + 4 subdivided into 3s in Carnatic (S. Indian classical) music.

It is hardly expensive to start with, and the discount rates are fair to the point of generous. I will not be claiming the retired-person-living-in-India full discount: even as a musical education pastime it is worth far more to me :). I'll also post a mention on rasikas.org, a carnatic-music-audience forum.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

I should add, of course, that wine-rt should be used (which should be in KXStudio anyway)
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

I'm using wine from the KXS repositories.

(Now that I have it singing again, after a long period of being out of use, I wonder if my much beloved Cool Edit Pro might run again! But that is another story...)
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:I'm using wine from the KXS repositories.
Ok, but make sure it is actually the package wine-rt
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Thanks... yes, it seems to be :)