New sound card suggestions

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

newcard
Established Member

New sound card suggestions

Post by newcard »

Hi all,

I would appreciate your suggestions for a new sound card. currently I have M-Audio Fast Track Pro which works on Windows and barely on Linux. There's enough inputs, but the sound quality is not good, so I'm looking for a new card.

The ultimate card for me would have:
1. Full Linux support :-) that means all sample rates and bitrates are supported
2. Excellent sound quality - must be very clean converters towards a more professional sound.
3. Priced upto 400$ US
4. Enables recording of any two analog inputs simultaneously: (1) mic + mic, (2) mic + inst, or: (3) inst + inst. This is a feature of the Fast Track Pro which I much like. That means it should have all the preamps needed for DI of mic/inst.
5. Any of PCI/USB/FW

Now there are a few firewire cards which satisfy all but don't have 2 guitar inputs:
* Edirol FA101
* PreSonus Firebox (guitar input only in #2)
* ESI QuataFire_610 (has HiZ button for guitar direct in to input 2)

What are your experiences with such audio cards? Do you get a good sound from it, similar enough to the sound you get by plugging directly to your amplifier?
Do you have a any samples recorded with your card on Linux you could share?
Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you! :-)
ntnunk
Established Member

Re: New sound card suggestions

Post by ntnunk »

I only have real experience with one soundcard: the M-Audio Delta 66. In combination with a Omni I/O module, it has the inputs and outputs you want (4 ins, 4 outs, the Omni I/O has two mic preamps built in). I've been using one for a couple of months now and it's worked great.
newcard
Established Member

Post by newcard »

Hi ntnunk,

Thank for the reply. I'm glad to hear you have Delta 66+OMNI IO fully supported. I'm currently considering these to be a good option. 2 things are on my mind:
1. How is the sound quality (signal distortion, signal noise ratio) of this package? Could you share a recording of yours, either privately or publicly, to get an impression of the card capabilities?
2. the OMNI I/O (or OMNI studio) are discontinued now by M-Audio. I cant find anyone who sells them. Maybe eBay will have them used sometime.

Thanks again! :-)
freqrush
Established Member

Post by freqrush »

I use a Delta1010 soundcard, and added Tapco Blend6 mixers to have preamps for line/mic and balanced connections to the soundcard. This may not what you mean to have, but I don't really get the point of a sound card with built-in pre-amps. Or I'm getting something else totally wrong.

For you, a stereo sound card would be enough, if you add a little mixer with at least 2 mic and 2 line channels.
Probably you'll get aux in/outs and aother usefull stuff along with the mixer.
newcard
Established Member

Post by newcard »

I have bought an OMNI studio as I saw it got great reviews. In windows the device is working properly and the sound is very good. However in linux I'm not able to record. In alsa apps (e.g. audacity) there's only one D66 device: "M Audio Delta 66:ICE1712 multi". It's not getting any sound in or out. Is it a soundrc configuration problem?

Thanks in advance!
newcard
Established Member

Post by newcard »

As it turns out the volume on ADCs where very low. After some recordings the sound seem very good in linux.
I've lowered the latency to 1.3ms in order to hear LADSPA plugins in real time. During recording with that latency there are pops and clicks but that will be solved by moving to a realtime kernel.

Great recommendations for a great product. I'm glad I bought it.

Thank you all for your responses! :-)