Terratec PHASE 88 RACK, only spdif?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

touchstyle
Established Member

Terratec PHASE 88 RACK, only spdif?

Post by touchstyle »

Hi at all.
I'm having some strange problem with a "new" TERRATEC PHASE 88, the RACK/PCI version:
1- it has been recognized only after addin a string in "alsa-base.conf" :

Code: Select all

install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 && { /sbin/modprobe -b snd-ice1712 ; }
options snd-ice1712 model=auto
2- using envy24 tools I can show all outputs, with vu-meters working as good if connected with synth output by qjackctl, but i cannot view any analogue input channel. Only SPDIF (L&R) inputs are present: Image

3- no sound when I tried to connect speackers to phisical output plugs.

Uhm... it seems a disaster!!!

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance,
Touch.
Dedenis AKA Touchstyle
Site : http://www.touchstyle.it
EMail : touchstyle (at) gmail (dot) com
touchstyle
Established Member

Re: Terratec PHASE 88 RACK, only spdif?

Post by touchstyle »

I tought that it was a "Phase 88" matter, so i bought a "EWS88MT" but... ther result it is the same! :cry:
No analogue input/output! Only SPDIF and PCM...

root@touchstyle-desktop:~# envy24control 
using	 --- input_channels: 0
	 --- output_channels: 0
	 --- pcm_output_channels: 8
	 --- spdif in/out channels: 2
Any helps?

Thanks,
Touch.
Dedenis AKA Touchstyle
touchstyle
Established Member

[SOLVED] Re: Terratec PHASE 88 RACK, only spdif?

Post by touchstyle »

Solved!
I did some changes on my bios concerning latency, and I added this line in /etc/alsa-base.conf

install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 & { /sbin/modprobe -b snd-ice1712 ; }

#options snd-ice1712 model=ews

options snd-ice1712 index=0
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712

This trick is good also for Terratec PHASE 88.

Ciao a tutti!
Touch.
Dedenis AKA Touchstyle
janedek

Post by janedek »

Hi!

I bought a Terratec Phase 88 Rack (PCI).
http://www.philrees.co.uk/audio/AUDPHASE88RPCI.html

I found that the error is the exactly the same for me. After I added the following 2 lines to etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

"install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 && { /sbin/modprobe -b snd-ice1712 ; }
options snd-ice1712 model=auto"

, the soundcard is recognized, the envy24control started
"using --- input_channels: 0
--- output_channels: 0
--- pcm_output_channels: 8
--- spdif in/out channels: 2"

I found this topic, and the soultion which was posted by touchstyle, so I changed the lines above in the alsa-base.conf file to the following
"install snd-ice1712 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-ice1712 & { /sbin/modprobe -b snd-ice1712 ; }
#options snd-ice1712 model=ews
options snd-ice1712 index=0
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712"

Now the envy24control doesn't recognize any ice1712 card.
"No ICE1712 cards found."

I changed the following line in the first attempt "options snd-ice1712 model=auto" to '"options snd-ice1712 model=phase88" but the card isn't detected. "No ICE1712 cards found." I checked the PCI card and there is a text on it, "Phase 88", so I'm sure that it is a Phase 88 PCI card.

Very strange but if I changed this line to "options snd-ice1712 model=ews88d" or to "options snd-ice1712 model=delta1010" the envy24control starts and I see all of the 8 input and 8 output channels, but if I plug in some music to line 1, there is no signal in the monitor.

If I change this line in alsa-base.conf to "options snd-ice1712 model=ews88mt" or to "options snd-ice1712 model=ews88mt_new",the feedback is "No ICE1712 cards found." again. (This two models are also Terratec soundcards, but not the Phase 88 Rack PCI).

I tested the card using Windows 7, and after driver installation the card worked perfect, so this problem comes from the Linux driver I think.

The following link contain the alsa configuration for envy24 cards.
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Do ... ration.txt

Could anybody help me, what can be the problem? Is there more version of this card, and I have a different Phase 88 card type??? :cry:
scorpius.milo

Post by scorpius.milo »

Hello, sorry to reactivate this topic.

I am trying to get this Phase88 Rack Pci (No fw) to work with Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS

I just added the line "options snd-ice1712 model=ews88d" in etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf which activates all inputs and outputs in Evny24Control or Mudita24

Subsequently, I have exactly the same problems mentioned above, on the other hand when I disconnect the power supply I have a slight sound filled with crackling but sound.
It is impossible for me to control the volume, and control anything with Mudita24 or Envy24Control

Apparently there seems to be a problem with power supply and rack detection under Linux.

I don't think that the electronics of the Rack FW is different and moreover the Rack FW is also powered with the same power supply. (It's not the firewire port that powers it)

For me it would just be necessary for Ubuntu to "know" that the Rack is powered by a power supply and not by the sound card in PCI

If someone could help me, or have an idea

Thank you

PS: I'm sorry for my bad English I use a translator