Any apps for finding Keys & Scales for a song?

Do you typeset your scores on Linux? Share your thoughts, tips, and tricks here.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

buzzy
Established Member

Any apps for finding Keys & Scales for a song?

Post by buzzy »

I'm learning to solo on guitar and an app like this would be really helpful. Are they any?

If not, any websites you recommend that show you how to?
ssj71
Established Member

Re: Any apps for finding Keys & Scales for a song?

Post by ssj71 »

I recently had this discussion with someone. Basically its an impossible task because the same set of notes can be part of many different scales. It really depends on context. Say for example the notes c and f. It could be a5th chord of an f major scale or a sus chord on the c major. Even a full scale can be interpreted different ways like c major and A natural minor. I don't want to discourage you from learning theory, but theres a reason there aren't many programs that try. They have to assume a lot and won't end up accurate. To help you out there are sites about music theory. I like the wiki pedia articles on different scales. Feel free to ask specific questions and i'll try to help. :)
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

There is also an app called play it slowly. Very useful for transcribing as it slows music without changing pitch. As a guitarist, I use it a lot for figuring stuff out.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I always just had to just use my ears. Its tough but give it ago. If you have a teacher ask them for pointers.
TheSafePlaces
Established Member

Post by TheSafePlaces »

Use GNU Solfege to train your ears to recognize musical intervals and chord 'qualities' (major, minor etc). Practice finding out by ear and singing the root note of chords (a teacher would be handy here, to guide you). The chord-recognition bit (next para) is also important for this. After a month or so of regular practice of this stuff, you just need to use a reference note (instrument, or preferably from a tuner or tuning fork) and your ears to know the key. Foolproof, no need to see any tab/sheet/other guitarist's fretboard - you hear it and you know it.

And I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by 'keys and scales for a song'. There's usually one key, and when one knows the key, why would one need to know any scales? Maybe you meant chords? Again, the answer to that too is GNU Solfege with the MMA package (train your ears to recognize chords - the 'Harmonic Progressions' exercise in Solfege).

(An additional benefit of the first para training is you no longer need sheets/tabs to play - you can just hear and play. And improvising becomes way better, because you hear the lines in your head and you can play them as you want them - once perfected, it takes out all the crappy trial and error, there's just pure spontaneous expression.

An additional benefit of the second para training is you'll innately know exactly what'll go well with what chord the rest of the group is playing. You always know what can sound good over what chord - another important skill for improvisation.)

(Alternatively, use this for ear training, it's pretty good and web-based, although there's no chord progression training - http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ ... ning/main/ )

PS - Are you a guitarist? ;) edit - Ha, guessed right, a fellow guitarist ^^
Looking for the ideal distro. NixOS?
Newbie composer, somewhat-experienced classical guitarist.
Largely known as HisaoNakai/contrapunctus on IRC and other places.