The Hut of Baba Yaga

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Retro Banana
Established Member

The Hut of Baba Yaga

Post by Retro Banana »

You can now buy my electronic rendition of "The Hut of Baba Yaga" from Bandcamp now at retrobanana.bandcamp.com for a minimum of $1. This song is a cover of a song of the same name from Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition suite, and inspired by another song of the same name by ELP. If you liked it, I'd like you to post your reviews here. Thanks!

-- Retro Banana
Last edited by Retro Banana on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retro Banana
Established Member

Re: The Hut of Baba Yaga

Post by Retro Banana »

Does nobody like this?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Hi RB!

Great stuff indeed! I really enjoyed listening to both tracks. What did you record them with?

I know its tough but try not to get too disconcerted when people don't comment on your stuff - we're all suffering media overload! :)

A friend of mine knows Keith Emerson, he has met him several times and lent him organs on occasion too as he is the keyboard player in the UKs leading Nice/ELP tribute band "Noddys Puncture" - you'd love 'em I'm sure! Tom also does the sound for Coronation Street but I've not met Keith myself - yet! :)
Retro Banana
Established Member

Post by Retro Banana »

I didn't record anything. It was all either synthesized (in the case of everything) or pulled from Freesound (in the case of the clock chain and chimes).

And wait...THE Kieth Emmerson? That's cool.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

When I say I recorded something or ask how someone else (in this case you) 'recorded' something, it doesn't necessarily imply the use of mics at all. The track may be entirely programmed or sequenced using synths and samples. I think its safe to say I'm not the only person who uses the word record this way.

So, what did you use to record (construct) the track with?

:)
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

A quick OT reply:

Back in the day I saw Emerson with The Nice, anyone remember that group ? They opened for The Velvet Underground at The Grande Ballroom in Detroit, probably in the very late 60s or early 70s. Yes, KE was doing his idiotic thing with the knives driven into the keyboard, but thankfully his real talent showed through. What a great player. (I say this even though I really didn't care for ELP).

By comparison The VU was sedate that evening. Another great band though.

"You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread."

@Retro: I'll get to your music asap, I'm a Moussorgsky fan too.

Best,

dp
Retro Banana
Established Member

Post by Retro Banana »

danboid wrote:When I say I recorded something or ask how someone else (in this case you) 'recorded' something, it doesn't necessarily imply the use of mics at all. The track may be entirely programmed or sequenced using synths and samples. I think its safe to say I'm not the only person who uses the word record this way.

So, what did you use to record (construct) the track with?

:)
Oh...okay. I gotcha.

I made the drums and the two extremely panned bass synths with Caustic, which was then exported to a .wav which I then used in Qtractor to add a few parts. I used a piano Gigasample that I had lying around in Qsampler and the amSynth DSSI plugin. Then, I just added some effects, mixed it down with Audacity (I am well aware of the "export" feature in Qtractor, and even though I did record the piano and synth onto their own tracks, it always gives me wierd artifacts), and Bob's your uncle.
Retro Banana
Established Member

Post by Retro Banana »

StudioDave wrote:A quick OT reply:

Back in the day I saw Emerson with The Nice, anyone remember that group ? They opened for The Velvet Underground at The Grande Ballroom in Detroit, probably in the very late 60s or early 70s. Yes, KE was doing his idiotic thing with the knives driven into the keyboard, but thankfully his real talent showed through. What a great player. (I say this even though I really didn't care for ELP).

By comparison The VU was sedate that evening. Another great band though.

"You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread."

@Retro: I'll get to your music asap, I'm a Moussorgsky fan too.

Best,

dp
BTW, have you ever heard Night on Bald Mountain as preformed by Mannheim Steamroller? It's pretty good, if not short.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

DP:

Wow! That sounds like it would've been an amazing gig! The Nice and VU on the same bill!!! I'm like yourself in being a fan of the Nice but not ELP. I would've loved to have been able to see them live in their prime when you did. We all know how good Emerson is but no-one ever talks about Brian Davison who is one of my fave drummers and I think much more interesting than the much more well known Carl Palmer who succeeded him.

There is (almost) a full Nice gig from '68 on YouTube which, despite it being B+W and both the picture and sound quality aren't the best, everyone should watch as its one of the best performances I've ever seen and I've literally watched it 100's of times. Its the Nice playing at a John Peel 'charidee' gig and its sadly the only full Nice gig that was ever filmed. I discovered in recent years that the Nice reformed for a while in the 2000's but sadly I missed that and Brian has passed away since.

RB:

Have you reported your qtractor export bug to Rui? He is totally intolerant of bugs in his apps and chances are he'll fix it for you the same day. He's a total star!

Are you running the latest release or a recent svn version of qtractor?
Retro Banana
Established Member

Post by Retro Banana »

Actually, my bug was nil--the "glitch" was just an xrun while I was recording.
I seem to get a lot of xruns. How can I reduce them?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

What distro are you running? If you're not already running an audio-focused distro and don't mind doing a fresh install you could save yourself time by installing the latest KX Studio or AV Linux.

The LM wiki also has lots of good tips on setting up your system for good audio performance if you want to tweak your existing non-audio optimized distro.

http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php ... figuration
Retro Banana
Established Member

Post by Retro Banana »

Actually, I just fixed my problem.

JACK was not running realtime, and Pulseaudio can be MEAN!

I still have a wierd quirk that when I'm clicking inside a softsynth or Qtractor or something like that, occasionally the entire screen will go black as long as I click the mouse.