Mid Side Processing in Linux

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Mid Side Processing in Linux

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I've stumbled across the video in YouTube after I watched Let's Play TLoZ Twilight Princess Part 23 and here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... y84ctvSE8M

Watch the video. You can adjust the overall volume of center and side to narrow or widen the stereo image. You can take out stereo imaging for the lows and widen it in the mids and to me, I like it a lot and I really wish there is one in Linux. Are there any plugins like that?

Is this the wrong forum to ask? I found "Other Software" to be very confusing.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
warkus
Established Member

Re: Mid Side Processing in Linux

Post by warkus »

Yeah that's ok, but you could just do it yourself. If I understand (I didn't hear the sound of the video, but saw the plug) you want to have lows in mono and the rest in stereo. Is this correct?
When doing live sound, I always used to send the lows from kick and bass from the respective channels out a spare aux, this way only the low-bass frequencies were being sent to the sub amplifier which increases the efficiency of your system and removes the unwanted bass from the rest of the mix at the same time.

So we may be talking about different things here. This is what I suggest you try.
1.Create sends from kick + bass etc to a mono bus (which will be your low-freq bus)
2.On that mono buss insert a low pass filter somewhere between 80Hz and 150Hz (depending on music)
3.Place High pass filter over master buss
4.Monitor and bounce from 3 channel output to stereo eg L+R master buss / Mono subs buss

This method works for me, I don't normally do it in a studio environment but there is no reason why it wouldn't work. This way your subs are in mono (Mid) and the rest in stereo (side) and you have the mono buss for bass level and the stereo panner on the master channel to control width :)
warkus
Established Member

Post by warkus »

and removes the unwanted bass from the rest of the mix at the same time.
Sorry, you do this at the crossover stage. It doesn't do it automagically lol. But you get the idea :D
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I think you miss the point about what mid side processing does to the sound during the mastering phase. That's what the video is shown.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

Now that's interesting.... any DAW having this feature built-in? Or what plugins to use? I use it all the time when mastering, but haven't made a mastering in Linux yet.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

As the video even points out, "If you don't have access to the original parts of the mix." It seems like a mastering tool to me, to correct something that you should be correcting in the mix itself. This could also be done in ardour, or similar, by creating buses for your centered and your hard panned stuff, and adjust this way. I do see the point though that linux can use all the cool plugins it can get, and we do need a good stereo widener, but IMHO, this isn't a super necessary plugin for anything but a pure mastering house. All of it can be done though final mix adjustment before render.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

There are some linux midside plugins though I have not tried them myself:
Steve Harris ladspa: Matrix: MS to Stereo and Matrix: Stereo to MS
Calf Stereo Tools (lv2).