danboid FINALLY tries KXstudio!!!

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

danboid FINALLY tries KXstudio!!!

Post by danboid »

I feel I was almost rivalling the supreme delay of the release of DNF with my talk of one day trying KXstudio so sorry F, I'm obviously not the keen distro hopper I used to be but I'm happy to say I finally installed KXStudio, in this case 12.04.1 amd64 so as I do I'm here to moan as much as poss about my initial experience! :)

Seriously though, we were all very impressed with it but there are a few lil' things I'd like to see fixed or improved in the next release.

The biggest prob we had was getting sound working under Skype. We fixed this by renaming the ~/.asoundrc and restarting ALSA ie switching to ALSA defaults but maybe that wasn't the correct way to go about it? I didn't take time to look at what that config file was up to but Cadence/JACK still seems to work after doing so. If there is a 'proper' way to fix Skype could you add this to the KX FAQ OP or its docs please F!

Cadence 'complained' about our user not being in the audio group so I was suprised the KX installer doesn't automatically add your user into the audio group. Why not? Is this a planned feature for the next release? I think this should also be covered in the current FAQ or docs.

I say all this but I'm not even sure how we are supposed to use KX studio yet! Do we use Catarina or something else to graphically manage JACK connections and LADISH sessions/studios? I ask this as http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Applications is a bit vague as it says "Catarina is a Patchbay test app, created while the PatchCanvas module was being developed.". So we should be using the PatchCanvas module? Where is that? Under what app? Maybe another addition to the FAQ?

Another thing that stumped us was one of the options given after install by the KX 'first run wizard'. I can't remember what the window was called or exactly what it asked but it was something like 'Do you want to reset the defaults?'. Which defaults? What was esp. odd about this was the recommended choice wasn't the default.

Apart from those issues - KXstudio is looking very impressive indeed!

Thanks falkTX!
danboid
Established Member

Re: danboid FINALLY tries KXstudio!!!

Post by danboid »

My 1st app request is good ol' kwrite (and kate) please F!

I think every KDE distro should include the default and also arguably the best KDE text editors, text editing being fundamental to Linux use and dev.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Am I correct in thinking their is no KXstudio or Cadence specific docs yet? If so, they're not linked on http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Documentation yet.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Applications doesn't seem to list all of the Cadence apps and their descriptions yet - at least I think Catia is missing from there.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Hi F!

Thats a bit odd with Kate. kwrite def wasn't installed for me and then when I d/l'd it it seemed to pull in Kate too so I presumed Kate was also absent. The machine was connected to the net when we installed, if that matters.

So, do we use Catarina to manage JACK under KX or what? IIRC qjackctl and patchage don't quite work properly with Cadence/LADISH and just what is that 'reset defaults' post-install option all about?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

My last attempt at asking this question here:

Catia vs Catarina vs gladish vs ????

Catarina was just a test? What is best to use?

Please make this clearer on http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Applications please!
steevc
Established Member

Post by steevc »

danboid wrote:My last attempt at asking this question here:

Catia vs Catarina vs gladish vs ????

Catarina was just a test? What is best to use?

Please make this clearer on http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/KXStudio:Applications please!
I also have issues with knowing what apps I should be using. I can understand that falktx lacks the time to write it all up, but we should be able to spread the load. Isn't that what open source projects are good at? I think a wiki would be good (I like wikis). falktx can review the results between his intense coding sessions.

I'm happy to help where I can.

I'm not spending as much time as I'd like with kxstudio as I'm dual-booting into my old Kubuntu system for general use and the family need to use it too. I could really do with another PC to dedicate to audio.

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

Dan, just use Catia for quick stuff without LADISH. Use Claudia primarily for the main setup and patch connections and everything. Forget the other options.

re: audio user group, there's an issue with needing sudo for this, but it does seem like it could be automated better anyway.

And yes, Kate is installed by default. I use it. Why bother with kwrite?
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

OK thanks wolftune!

gladish wasn't a serious suggestion, I just felt I should still give it a mention.

I'm surprised with the kwrite backlash, its just Kate feels a bit too much for me most of the time and kwrite was the 1st app I installed after installing KX. Not to worry!

Once I've found my feet with KX & the Cadence suite I'll be more than happy to help with documentation.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

wolftune wrote: And yes, Kate is installed by default. I use it. Why bother with kwrite?
I say why bother with either one. Vi should be all anyone will ever need.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Good ol' text editor flame war anyone?

I miss nedit

:D
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

If you have different tastes of text editors, use it.

Me? I use vim as I found it easy to work with, even though it does not support the use of mouse, but I am able to get around with using my keyboard just fine.

/ = find
:w - save but do not quit
:q! Discard changes and quit.
:wq - Save and quit.
i = edit at the current cursor
A = edit at the end of the current line
ESC = exit out of edit mode
;%s/find-what/replace-what/ - find and replace

Once again, use what you want. If I don't want kwrite, apt will remove kxstudio-desktop-kde4 meta-package. We don't need any more of the bloat with hundreds of text editors dependent by a meta package, even if kwrite takes up only 10KB of space.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

getting off track here, but I use the VIM mode in KATE. :mrgreen:
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

wolftune wrote:Dan, just use Catia for quick stuff without LADISH. Use Claudia primarily for the main setup and patch connections and everything. Forget the other options.
Putting the same thing a bit differently...

If you do not need to have connections remembered then Cadence/Catia is all you need. In this case, you probably wouldn't even be looking at Catia much --- but it is a patch panel, and as well as telling you how stuff is connected, you can change that or add in stuff on an ad hoc basis.

But, when you spend time setting stuff up and patching it together, you probably want it still there next time, so... Claudia.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Thanks for elucidating Thad!

The sooner you get that apps page updated F the better for KX / Cadence because as it stands it doesn't even mention Catia OR Claudia, never mind explaining why the user needs them. This is in stark contrast to AVL which comes which an excellent PDF manual by default which covers the basics of Linux audio. Then again, GMaq didn't write a custom suite of audio tools for his distro. I'm trying not to belittle either of you here as I love and respect your work but this is the other big difference between the two distros right now.

The apps page does mention Klaudia but not Claudia- is that the old spelling/name of Claudia? I'm presuming its not a typo as its been written twice and in that way for some time.

Also F, you've still not explained what the 'resetting defaults' option is all about and its even odder choice of non-default defaults? I'll have to re-install KX to tell you what it says/asks if you don't know what I'm asking you about.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Also, is there anyone else here who has tried Skype under KX? Did it just work for you or did you have to reset .asoundrc or do something else to get it to work?