need help getting a Motu MTPAV USB working in Linux

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

msepsis
Established Member

need help getting a Motu MTPAV USB working in Linux

Post by msepsis »

This is a tangent off the "which MIDI interface to buy" thread I started after seeming to hit a brick wall with getting the MOTU MTPAV USB operating under Linux... I'm feeling adventurous, not so anxious to dish out for a new interface despite MOTU's lack of cooperation with the Linux community.

Ok, so I'll start with replying to the last post on my previous thread here.
raboof wrote: When you insert the device, does anything show up in /var/log/messages? When it is connected, what does 'lsusb' output? What do 'aplay -l' and (as slowpick mentions) 'cat /proc/asound/cards' tell you?
Hold on that till I get back to the studio. These steps are probably where I should have started though... read on to get amused with how far I went chasing this last night.

raboof wrote:
I said:
The alsa driver is MTPAV.ko
How do you know? http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. ... dule-mtpav doesn't mention anything about usb, might be it only supports PCI.
Good point. I used to have two other Motu 8x8 interfaces that I was trying to get working in linux a few years ago, a parallel MTPAV and MIDI express XT. I just sold them a year back in exchange for one USB MTPAV. So my methodology for getting the USB MTPAV is from legacy experience. :?
I suppose it doesnt help that there seems to be a good bit of outdated info on the alsa-project site, especially on the page you refer to. Lots of legacy info on there so it didn't seem too odd that the USB version wasn't mentioned.

You're probably right that I'm making an incorrect assumption.

After discussing this a bit on the other thread I went home yesterday, determined to try to get a little further with getting the MTPAV USB working. Here are my notes:

Started with a fresh Ubuntu Studio 10.04 install, no additional software, just the base install.
apt-get installed linux-backports-modules-alsa for the kernel installed (I believe it was 2.6.32-22)
at the root of the file system I did a locate mtpav and found several instances located in:
/lib/modules/<kernel number>/kernel/sound/drivers
/usr/src/linux-headers-<kernel number>/include/config/
/lib/modules/<kernel number>/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/drivers/

great so no need to compile anything (still thinking mtpav.ko is what I'm after)

sudo modprobe snd_mtpav
gave me:
FATAL: Error inserting snd_mtpav (/lib/modules/<kernel number>/ubuntu/sound/alsa-driver/drivers/snd-mtpav.ko): No such device

I thought this was odd, the mtpav.ko file was exactly at the path given in the "FATAL" error.

So I opened one terminal to display the syslog with tail -f /var/log/syslog, then opened another terminal window to modprobe snd_mtpav again.

the syslog showed:
ALSA sound/drivers/mtpav.c:590: MTVAP port 0x378 is busy
snd_mtpav: probe of snd_mtpav failed with error -16

which as far as I can interpret was telling me that either the device isn't attached, or the port 0x378 which indeed is the ioport the MTPAV is connected to (verified in bios) is busy with something else.

I then unloaded a few modules that were not in use:

sudo modprobe -r ppdev
sudo modprobe -r lp
sudo modprobe -r parport_pc
sudo modprobe -r parport

bingo, I could then modprobe snd-mtpav successfully.

cat /proc/interrupts confirmed:
Motu MidiTimePiece on parallel port irq: 7 ioport: 0x378

cool.

I then opened Qjackctl, confirmed I was using the "raw" MIDI driver (seems illogical to set this to none, please explain that... maybe later?)

I started the JACK server, went to connections, MIDItab and holy crap I saw MOTU MTPAV Parallel port 1, all the way through port 8. I thought it was odd that it said "parallel" for every port but still figured I was in luck!! Ran out to have a victory smoke and came back in to realize that was where my success ended. I was not able to get any MIDI IO from any synth connected to my MTPAV or to any synth fromsay renoise (my sequencer of choice :) , the MTPAVs LEDs confirmed this. No activity.

I rebooted, once again unloaded ppdev, lp, parport_pc, parport and pp5-1-doodoo. the later gave me an error but I expected that. :)
Once again did a modprobe snd-mtpav and seemed to have success loading the driver, connections appear in jack's, Patchage, Renoise, etc but no activity.

I then realized that even with the MTPAV turned OFF I was seeing these connections... leading me to see the clouds part enough for me to realize I was chasing down a rabbit hole and came to the same question you brought up about the mtpav alsa driver being the "correct" driver to use for the USB MTPAV.

Then I started questioning my selling the LPT/parallel Motus... Frustrated, I called it a night and went to bed.

So. Back to your question. "How do I know"? I don't. I now am clueless as to what driver I need to load in order to get the MTPAV USB working.

I will try tonight loading the trusty ubuntu studio 8.04, as far as my research went, since karmic ubuntu has shipped with mtpav already compiled into the kernel - but maybe it isn't mtpav.ko that I want after all.
msepsis
Established Member

Re: need help getting a Motu MTPAV USB working in Linux

Post by msepsis »

Quick followup: I've posted to the ALSA mailing list on this, also the "motunation" site. If I get any good answers or leads I'll report them here...
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

msepsis wrote: I then opened Qjackctl, confirmed I was using the "raw" MIDI driver (seems illogical to set this to none, please explain that... maybe later?)
epic fail :lol:
Alsa handles midi, no Midi Driver is needed. Great to see your progress. I don't smoke,
but I'll join the celebration by inhaling extra smoke from the woodstove :D mmmm :D
msepsis
Established Member

Post by msepsis »

slowpick wrote: epic fail :lol:
You didn't just say that did you? am I being schooled by my 12 year old niece here?
Thanks for the tip. It's not all that clear that to keep Alsa as the MIDI driver you select "none" as the MIDI driver. To me "none" would imply you're not asking anything to handle MIDI.

Still..... besides the bizarre etiquette I appreciate the tip. Thank you.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

If the 'none' option had been removed from the front panel of the qjackctl gui, or at least re-named default, many users frustrations and lost hours could have been saved. It may have been included in anticipation of future changes, that either failed to appear, or are still planned. If there is anyone using raw or seq as their default setting, I have missed it on the path from the Caldera, and would actually like to see examples of recording setups using those settings,
in case they would be of wider benefit to linux musicians.

I apologise for the 'epic fail'. The contrast between your renewed efforts over some years,
and your decision to turn down such common 'niece level' advice, made me laugh.
While choosing 'none' does not guarantee success, choosing the others will likely require
a magic wand. Either way, if you succeed, a prize or honor of some sort is in order. :)
msepsis
Established Member

Post by msepsis »

raboof wrote: When you insert the device, does anything show up in /var/log/messages?
It's on and plugged in ATM, but if i unplug then plug back in I get:
Jan 26 18:34:55 paraD330 kernel: [ 1027.880254] usb 4-2: USB disconnect, address 3
Jan 26 18:35:04 paraD330 kernel: [ 1036.228031] usb 4-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
Jan 26 18:35:04 paraD330 kernel: [ 1036.434044] usb 4-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

raboof wrote: When it is connected, what does 'lsusb' output?
The obvious relevant line is:
Bus 004 Device 005: ID 07fd:0001 Mark of the Unicorn FastLane Quad MIDI Interface

aplay -l gives me
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 0: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 1: ca0106 [CA0106]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 2: ca0106 [CA0106]
card 0: CA0106 [CA0106], device 3: ca0106 [CA0106]

cat /proc/asound/cards gives me:

0 [CA0106 ]: CA0106 - CA0106
Audigy SE [SB0570] at 0x1000 irq 21
1 [port ]: MTPAV - MTPAV on parallel port
MTPAV on parallel port at 0x378

"MTPAV on parallel port".... ah HA

I got an email from one guy on the ALSA user forum who told me the MTPAV USB just doesn't work in linux... but he left room to question his certainty. I'm going to just go ahead now and give 8.04 studio a shot. AVLinux 5.02 doesn't seem to pick it up but I might investigate a bit further with other distros for the heck of it. I think 5.01 used the liq kernel.
msepsis
Established Member

Post by msepsis »

slowpick wrote:
I apologise for the 'epic fail'. The contrast between your renewed efforts over some years,
and your decision to turn down such common 'niece level' advice, made me laugh.
While choosing 'none' does not guarantee success, choosing the others will likely require
a magic wand. Either way, if you succeed, a prize or honor of some sort is in order. :)
ahh.. makes a little more sense now. I was simply replying with what I had done prior to receiving that advice.. epic failure or not :)

Yeah i'm gonna keep working at this, we'll see what I come up with. I started this thread because I could use a hand, but I'll keep posting my progress so others can learn from my epic failures or hopefully an epic success.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

I have read that devices with both usb and 5 pin midi have issues when the usb is plugged in.
If there is a wallwart or power cable, it may be worth testing without the usb. If bus power is
needed, its a long shot, but a second computer could be used for just power in testing,
hopefully the 5pin ports will be clearly seen.

This guide has helped people to use multiple devices, might be worth trying the MOTU
as device 2

http://linuxhomerecording.blogspot.com/ ... -jack.html
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

msepsis wrote: Yeah i'm gonna keep working at this, we'll see what I come up with. I started this thread because I could use a hand, but I'll keep posting my progress so others can learn from my epic failures or hopefully an epic success.
Did you get any further?

I'm running UbuntuStudio 12.10, with a MOTU micro express-USB. I removed all the parallel port modules, then modprobe snd-mtpav . I get "MTPAV on parallel port" in qjackctl Connections > ALSA in each of the input ports and output ports lists, and lsmod output includes a line about "Mark of the Unicorn FastLane Quad MIDI Interface". But my MIDI devices plugged into the MOTU don't appear or work.