YALS-e17 0.5.0

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

i2productions
Established Member

YALS-e17 0.5.0

Post by i2productions »

Yet Another Linux Studio-E17 current vesion:0.5.0Beta 2
http://sourceforge.net/projects/yals/
md5:

Code: Select all

6ede24a1553e3291cd6dbb9cf4da7d4f  yals-e17-0.5.0.iso

Downloads of other iso's temporarily disabled. Will have new builds posted shortly

I know what you're all thinking. Just what we need, another linux iso, based on ubuntu, for studio use. It's simply KXStudio on other desktops, and with a few cosmetic tweeks to make them all feel stream-lined. There are as many flavors of linux, and Ubuntu in particular, as there are users. Also true about the amounts of different types of hardware they will run on. This project is mainly intended towards new linux users. It provides a look at the different desktops and setups linux has to offer. The goal though is to make each one look somewhat like all it's other YALS cousins. I would like to give a shout out right now to falkTX, for his wonderful tools and KXStudio repos. And to the thousands of developers that have contributed to opensource linux projects over the years that comprise these distros!

ALL builds have been cleared as serious beta candidates. All are 32-bit(64-bit will come in interest peaks). All reports back so far are cosmetic and will be changed through updates. All the iso's posted have been tested on multiple machines for install and use without serious issue. At this time the only major bug is not installing with custom name. It always defaults to default user name and password on install. This is easily solved by setting up a new user and pass after install. Though these are mainly TESTING ISO's, for trying KXStudio on other desktops, and for new users to try out without going through the whole upgrade process.

YALS-e17 beta 2 (0.5.0) desktop is really becoming something special. I consider this to be the most stable of all the current isos. It can be installed at your own discretion. If you like bleeding edge development, this build includes the 3.7.0 kernel(pae is part of mainstream kernel)! Enlightenment provides another extremely lightweight desktop option, running in around 100 Megs of RAM, or less, installed(with cadence loaded to tray and both bridges started.) It's also the first iso to come in under 2 gigs! In beta 2 I have customized each workspace/virtual desktop to have a different kxstudio wallpaper. Should work great on almost any system. I've added my own favorite apps to the favorites launcher, by right clicking on desktop. You can change these to any apps you use regularly by going to settings>All>Apps>Favorite Application, then set them in the list and order tabs(note they will not show up til you do a log out.) The only problem I'm encountering is not being able to make the wifi manager stick to the panel. You will have to manually connect a wifi network the first time. Network manager can be launched by right clicking on the desktop, I've added it to favorites. There is no default photo viewer. I have tried several, but I'm looking for simple and low resource, so recommendations are appriciated.

YALS-Main-beta 1(0.7.3) is kxstudio on top of a cairo-dock session in panel mode, for a traditional yet modern desktop experience. It features the stock ubuntu 12.04 3.2-pae kernel. It has a lot of eye candy pre-installed(including the desktop rotating cube in live mode[go ahead and give that CLT+ALT+Click-drag a try!]) It includes everything up to and including things that probably should not be packaged at this time like ardour3. But let me tell you a little story. My submission to the tunestorm competition in the Original Scores forum here on linuxmusicians this month was done by me with YALS 0.7.0, in 6 hours from start to finish with the live DVD with only 1 crash of ardour3(as I was hitting CLT+S if you can believe it!)

YALS-LXDE beta 1 is here now! For older computers and those that want the lowest power desktop to save all your system resources for creating media! It is backed by peppermint os three with the 3.2-pae kernel. Check out the live ISO, install if you would like(should be stable enough for everyday use) and make feature requests. Will consider anything within reason that doesn't compromise system performance. If you have ideas for further reducing this system which already runs in between 100-150Megs of RAM live depending on the computer it's dropped into, please share.

The idea behind this "distro" is simply an easy to install and test media of KXStudio on desktops other than KDE. Just trying to make life easy on new users. By 1.0 I hope to have a much better welcome document, in pdf format with pics, and maybe a series of links to tutorial videos(maybe even include the videos with the distro?) The documentation is really where it's at. And maybe by the time it's all properly compiled in the 1.0 release of YALS, falkTX will consider it for KXStudio proper! All documentation is to be specific to linux audio and kxstudio, and not so much to the YALS distro(as all YALS is anyway is kxstudio on other desktops with minor tweeks.) Give these ISO's a spin and get back to me!

A brief rundown of packages included:

*Ardour3
*Yoshimi
*XBMC
*HandBrake
*Hydrogen
*Guitarix
*Rakarrack
*Cadence Tools
*wineasio
*festige
*Bristol
*Audacity
*Everything else in the kxstudio-meta-all &kxstudio-non-free repos

You can install these isos to a DVD, or preferably use the program unetbootin(linux,windows) to create a live USB(or SD card even). Format your drive beforehand in FAT, then load the iso into unetbootin and reboot!

If you like these iso's they are installable, but the best and cleanest way to get your own setup is to pick a flavor of ubuntu 12.04 of your choice, install it, and follow this guide http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9666 to create a KXStudio distro of your very own. These iso's are merely to show what different desktops can bring to the mix of the amazing kxstudio tools, and add some custom documentation while we're at it!

Keep checking here for new updated iso's. This thread is the official home of this project for now. :wink:
Last edited by i2productions on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 47 times in total.
Snap
Established Member

Re: YALS-0.7.3

Post by Snap »

Thanks for the md5! :wink:
brummer

Post by brummer »

I'm speechless, :o

FalkTX is somewhat responsible here in this forum, you wouldn't found a question/suggestion to him, here in the forum, which wasn't answered on the same day. I fail to found yours, no suggestions, far off-topic questions, that`s all.
AND now, you comes along, take all his hard work, create a customized ISO from it, which you present to us on a dropbox account, and still believe you do something good for the linux community :(

Clearly you didn't have a clue about what the term FREEDOM in the GPL is about.
Clearly, you have no Idea about how much work it is to sort all the underling stuff out, work with the upstream authors together to get it all fit nicely in a pair. It seems you believe "putting a nice picture over it is the hardest stuff"
On top of all this, you still fail to give credits to Falk in your announcement here, so, I'm speechless . . .
:evil:
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Really, you gotta come up in here and hate without even taking a look? I'm still writing the documention, including this one here. You are correct, I should give credit to falkTX and THOUSANDS of other programmers that made this happen. I'm not out for noteriety or to make people use this over that. Christ, I put something out there in the world to make it easy for new people to use, and you come and attack me? Damn! I'm not lowtech. It's not like I'm trying to sell this. It's just a fun project, and people are free to download it, or not, I don't care! It's there, face value, take it or leave it!

This will only benifit the community. The tweaks I make have virtually no effect on what falkTX does. It's no different than someone downloading the everything themselves from the repos. So any problems are going to be reported here on the forum, and falk and other maintainers see the problem. There really is no problem here. While this is my first serious attempt at distro creation, don't knock it til you've tried it. All I aim to do is make things easy for new users!
brummer

Post by brummer »

I haven't take a look, as well I haven't take a look at KXStudio, simply I have no need in this. I'm a plain old debian/sid user and do my stuff by my own. That's not the point.
Exactly the point is, it's a fun project for you, you are able to stick together your very first ISO and believe that you can heel the world now with it. Stupido, you will reach the exact opposite with this, but I see that you are not able to see that, nor to understand and I haven't the time nor an interest to declare it for you.You feel attack't by me, just because I say what I think?
You feel attack t because I ask for the missing credits to falk, didn't you tell in the other thread that it is a "copy" of KXStudio just with a other DE? So what, were are your sources live, which tools do you use, package list and stuff like that, where is it?
Do you give something back to upstream, do you believe that users of "your ISO" will get support from upstream?
Do you belive that such a unprofessional presentation will help to make LinuxProAudio serious?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x76sz7 ... 1969_music
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Give me time, to provide sources and all the rest. Hence in the title PRE-BETA! I don't think I'm going to change the world with this, and I don't care. I'll keep puttin the iso's out, and if they get downloaded great, if not, oh well!
do you believe that users of "your ISO" will get support from upstream?
No more or less than they would receive by installing a version of Ubuntu then adding kxstudio repos over it. This isn't a game changer. Just a great live iso that easy for new users to test and play with before they're ready to make a decision!
Snap
Established Member

Re: YALS-0.7.3 and LXDE 0.4.0

Post by Snap »

Damn it! It fails downloading over and over again. I think I'll wait for a torrent option. :roll:
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

It is just you too. I downloaded it last night to test it, and 2 other people have had no problems downloading. Sorry its not working out for you!
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Hey i2,

Just a note to say Good Luck in your endeavors and I look forward to giving YALS a spin sometime. :)

Best,

dp
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Thanks Dave. I hope to have 1.0 sollutions within a few months!

@Snap
Torrents may not come soon either. Drop box is a more stable connection right now. Need some real support to have good torrents. Probably won't happen til 1.0.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

i2productions wrote:It is just you too. I downloaded it last night to test it, and 2 other people have had no problems downloading. Sorry its not working out for you!
Yeah, I know it's me. This network has constant drop offs. I don't want to pasue and resume an ISO, maybe a torrent, but not a direct download. I'm afraid I'll have to wait.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Brummer, your condemnation is way out of line. Being able to fork a project is absolutely acceptable with GPL code as long as one doesn't change the license, and distributes his source with any changes. It's the same reason why Canonical has been able to release their own changes to upstream code, such as their own multi-touch code to the X server.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

brummer

Post by brummer »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:Brummer, your condemnation is way out of line. Being able to fork a project is absolutely acceptable with GPL code as long as one doesn't change the license, and distributes his source with any changes.
brummer wrote:Clearly you didn't have a clue about what the term FREEDOM in the GPL is about.
jeff, were in between my lines to you read what you are refer to?
note, that the first post in this thread is slightly modified in time,
brummer wrote:On top of all this, you still fail to give credits to Falk in your announcement here, so, I'm speechless . . .

Done!
brummer wrote:So what, were are your sources live, which tools do you use, package list and stuff like that, where is it?
Open!

Also, jeff, note that I fail to see a fork here, I just see a customized version of KXStudio, which, by the way in the first publish comes indeed as "KXStudio". That is clearly a bad behavior against the original developer/maintainer of KXStudio.

You talk about the right to fork, well, it is fundamental for GPL'd code, but, to be honest, there are some rules for "How to fork".
http://jamesdixon.wordpress.com/forking ... e-project/

This attempt here, fail at any step on this. So, critic is very well given here.
read here : http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... =30#p36197
tux99
Established Member

Post by tux99 »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:Brummer, your condemnation is way out of line. Being able to fork a project is absolutely acceptable with GPL code as long as one doesn't change the license, and distributes his source with any changes. It's the same reason why Canonical has been able to release their own changes to upstream code, such as their own multi-touch code to the X server.
I completely agree with Jeff, I don't see why there is any need to get upset about someone doing their own variant or fork. This is one of the freedoms of FOSS software and there is nothing bad about it.

Brummer, please give i2productions a break, some of your posts in this thread are borderline trolling.
brummer

Post by brummer »

tux99 wrote:I completely agree with Jeff, I don't see why there is any need to get upset about someone doing their own variant or fork. This is one of the freedoms of FOSS software and there is nothing bad about it.

Brummer, please give i2productions a break, some of your posts in this thread are borderline trolling.
Again, I fail to see a fork here, it is just a customized version of KXStudio.
As well, a fork require that the changed sources made be available, that isn't the case here.
A fork require proper credits to the original developers, that wasn't the case here.
A fork require that it get communicated, before it happen, with the original maintainers, as well, that didn't happen here.
Exactly that are my points of critic.

I agree that forking a project is a fundamental right of GPL'd software. But it is as well a fundamental right to have a meaning about a fork, and as well, it's a fundamental right to say/write this.
So, I say what I mean, and what I miss. That's borderline trolling for you? Okay, so be it.

The slightly modified entry post here may leave the impression that I have overact, be it.