Mixbus; Does it worth it?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Snap
Established Member

Mixbus; Does it worth it?

Post by Snap »

I'd love to try Mixbus, but there is no demo or free trial period. It's a blind faith act! Any users around here? Experiences? Opinions?

I'm fine with Reaper and not really want to switch. I don't miss Samplitude excepting for mastering, mainly for final steps. But there's something in the Mixbus philosophy/concept that temps me hugely. It seems that it was designed with a analog console like workflow in mind, and mixing is alsmot as fast as OTB. Something I really miss in all DAWs I've tried and used.

Love to hear opinions before a blind purchase.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Re: Mixbus; Does it worth it?

Post by Alwaysanewb »

Why in every forum I am in there are people with low thread counts making posts about ardour with a tape emulator. Just use ardour and donate the money to it. It works great and sounds even better. plus if you install kxstudio. You get a ton of free plugs ins and most of the plug ins happen to be great.

Literaly in gearsluts and this forum there has been 40 new posts for a daw thats 3 years old and never had one post created about it besides the post in gearslutz created by harrison them selves. I'm thinking spammers.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

I use Mixbus and I am not a spammer. Personally I like it and I don't mind paying for it, but I think you should use whatever you're comfortable with.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

Not an spammer either. Just new to Linux audio and wanting to learn.

So basically Ardour with some extras... Hmmmm... been checking Ardour for a few hours this morning and I don't feel comfortable at all. I don't feel I can develop a workflow faster than in Reaper. Also I miss a whole lot of features. I think I'll keep going with Reaper and Wine for now.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

If you're fine with Reaper you'll probably not immediately care for Ardour/Mixbus, there's quite a difference in the UI design practices. Also, if you use MIDI in Reaper you'll need to use Ardour3 which is still in beta.

No harm in checking out Ardour, you'll get some taste of what Mixbus is about. I use Mixbus primarily for mixes of Csound material, I love its built-in EQ and dynamics processors. And yes, the tape saturation control is cool too. :)

Best,

dp
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

It's ardour with a slightly prettier interface, and an AWESOME eq, and a few other plugins and tweeks. I have been using ardour for 7 years and love it. It's as close to pro tools as u get without spending thousands of dollars. The only reason I haven't bought mixbus yet is because I don't feel paying for a DAW without a MIDI sequencer is in my best interest. If they build a version based on ardour 3 I will totally pay $150 for it!
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

i2productions wrote:...The only reason I haven't bought mixbus yet is because I don't feel paying for a DAW without a MIDI sequencer is in my best interest. If they build a version based on ardour 3 I will totally pay $150 for it!
I think it's on the roadmap.

I agree, with MIDI it's going to be a blast. But meanwhile Mixbus suits my purposes as a superb final/mastering mixer.

Best,

dp
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Snap wrote:I'd love to try Mixbus, but there is no demo or free trial period.
Of course there is a demo and you can find it preinstalled and ready to run as a demo an the AV Linux 6.0 LiveDVD. I personally use Ardour3 and Mixbus and they both have their strengths. If you are interested in using MIDI then Mixbus is not for you as it is an Audio only sequencer but it's hardware emulation and sound are top notch, however Ardour 3 combined with the excellent linuxDSP plugins (also included as demos in AV Linux) is also a terrific choice for professional grade work. You can try them all including the excellent open-source programs like Qtractor, Calf, Guitarix etc. on the AV Linux LiveDVD which will hopefully give you the opportunity to make an informed decision.

Have a look: http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

No actual need for a midi sequencer. I never use it for my personal projects and hardly ever for the bands I record, since I mostly track bands at once playing live. Maybe an overdub here and there and that's it. You know, the old fashion.

I'll give another chance to Ardour and that Mixbus demo in AVLinux. If the sound is as good as everybody seems to say, it deserves at least a try. If you are familiar with Reaper you'll know that many features are killer. It's fully customizable and I already have loads of Fx chains presets and macros, plus fully customized toobars and actions to improve my workflow. Hard to beat Reaper in that department. Also routing is just stunning. I certainly dream about a native Linux version of Reaper. Not under Wine. Of course sound is the main thing in any DAW. I just finished a project for a band. I'll mix a somng in Mixbus and let's see how It behaves througout a full mixing process trying to keep as close as i can to what I preaviously did in Reaper and how the final mix compares with the Reaper mix in terms of overall sound. The tape saturator doesn't tempt me a lot, but I always loved the old Harrison consoles EQ. It this thing sound anything close, it certainly deserves a go.