Linux audio configure GUI

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Linux audio configure GUI

Post by studio32 »

Inspired by the script by Raboof: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=452 and other posts in that section and the tools you've in Mint Linux I think it would be a great idea if we could make a tool which takes a newbie by hand and configure a linux audio system properly!

> I think it should be useful for newbies and more experienced users (if they want).
> It should be a good looking tool. Not a command tool, but a nice GUI one (would be nice if you also could use it in the command line)
> Newbies can choose the default options, geeks can add custom values...

Such a GUI tool could contain the following stuff:

- Do you need latency < x.x ? > yes , no
- (if yes) it's recommend to install a realtime kernel, ok (default), no
- (if yes) sudo apt-get install linux-rt

rtprio (description): 90 (default), other (add custom value)
nice (description): -5 (default) other (add custom value)
etc.

etc.

What do you think of the idea?
Do you like to help and what can you do?

Thanks,
ntnunk
Established Member

Re: Linux audio configure GUI

Post by ntnunk »

It might be a nice tool to have available. Just to having everything in one place so that newbies can set their systems up and more advanced users can check new or modified installations would be nice.

Depending on how you want to implement this I might be interested in helping. I think the Python scripting language would be a good choice for this task, but I'm a big fan of Python and use it fairly often so maybe I'm biased. Either the PyGTK or PyQT bindings could be used to create a nice native Linux GUI. I've never used the PyGTK or PyQT libraries and I've been interested in learning one or both of them for a while now, I just haven't really had a project to do it with. If you're interested in implementing this project with Python I'd probably be interested in helping with the GUI at the very least, and probably the everything else as well.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

uh, I don't want to lower your expectations but you are strongly assuming that the newbie is using Ubuntu ... As far as I know, the package called linux-rt is offered by Ubuntu Studio ... if you start by installing debian sid, there's no such thing. 64studio is not even based on sid. How do you overcome this limitation ? It would be a tiny bit unfair to distros that proved to fare as good or better than Ubuntu ;)
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Yeah it should be perl or python I think...
@ntnunk, thanks for your reply
@thorgal, I think you can skip some actions after answering a question
Do you use Ubuntu, Fedora, ... (distro with rt kernel) yes, no
brummer

Post by brummer »

most distros did'nt come with so mutch pyton installed. Do you realy think it is helpfull when you have to fight first with the pyton dependencies befor you can install a configure GUI ?
I think, if you would like to create a GUI for make it easy to check the audio/midi configuration, you need to make it simple to compile and install.
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

brummer wrote:most distros did'nt come with so mutch pyton installed. Do you realy think it is helpfull when you have to fight first with the pyton dependencies befor you can install a configure GUI ?
I'm surprised you say that. It's not been my experience at all. Every distribution I've used (flavors of Ubuntu, SUSE, Slackware, Red Hat, and Gentoo) in recent years has had Python and any number of GUI toolkit bindings installed by default.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@ Brummer, what do you think is a good language for this?
brummer

Post by brummer »

ntnunk wrote:I'm surprised you say that. It's not been my experience at all.
If get a lot of trouble the last 4 years with python in debian sid. Alone the version switch's take's me a lot more time then I willing to spend with. On top of that there comes a bunch off bindings. At least I dont touch python any more. So maybe you have a bit python in every distro, but there are a lot of different versions, bindings, . . . and every distro presented a different state of development.
studio32 wrote:@ Brummer, what do you think is a good language for this?
simple, #! /bin/bash gtkdialog --file=scriptname
comfortabe C/C++

To give a example for a bash/gtk script
studio32

Post by studio32 »

can I start your example script?