E17 released

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Capoeira
Established Member

E17 released

Post by Capoeira »

why do I recomend to try it out, especialy for audio work:

generaly you have 2 options:
1) a lightweight DE
2) a beautifull, easy to use and configure DE

E17 is the third option: a lightweight, beautifull, easy to use and configure DE
and it's modular

http://enlightenment.org/
danboid
Established Member

Re: E17 released

Post by danboid »

At last!

E17 is the best looking lightweight DE/wm but I tried its git/svn a few months back and there were all sorts of bugs, missing features and things I was unhappy with then so I'll give this another go over xmas if not today to see if its more usable now.

I've still not tried MATE or Cinnamon and there's that other interesting new Ubuntu based distro/DE I forget the name of that has supposedly borrowed a lot of ideas from OSX that I've heard good stuff about that I really should try too. Anyone know what I'm talking about who's tried it?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Maybe Luna from Elementary OS?
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

falkTX wrote:My biggest "problem" with it is that it uses a completely different toolkit, so the themes don't match between Gtk or Qt/KDE apps vs E17 native ones.
Also the default theme is too bright, it hurts my eyes (but yeah, I know there's probably more).
EDIT: the one on the E17 about page is dark, did they change the defaults?

From what I've seen and tested myself, I wouldn't call E17 a really lightweight desktop...
I don't find it beautiful either, but that's just me.

Does anyone here has any kind of experience doing themes for it?
Default theme is dark grey now
my GTK-theme matches very nice.
Not lightweight? what is lightweight for you?
you find other themes and perhaps a how-to make themes here: http://e17-stuff.org/
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Luna / Elementary - yes thats what I was thinking of J! Have you tried it? Anyone?

They've supposed to have put a lot of effort into making it easy to use for newbs which would be a big draw if true and it works well.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

falkTX wrote:
Capoeira wrote:my GTK-theme matches very nice.
Is that because it coincidently matches, or is it some magic running in the background?
I'm not sure.
In the appearance settings there are checkboxes "try compatibilty with e17 theme" and another one.
My GTK-theme is "hope" my Qt-theme is GTK+
see in the "show your desktop" thread my screenshots
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

If anyone is keen to try E17 and you can't get up-to-date packages for your distro, I have been recommended this build script on the #e IRC channel:

https://github.com/ObiWahn/git_e17/

I've not tried it myself yet as I'd be amazed if I wasn't ultimately disappointed as there was too much stuff missing or not to my liking when I last tried it - I think I'll have a look at Luna next as I'm confident E17 won't be ready for non-geeks yet - not that I'm not geeky enough to go messing with this stuff.

For anyone else like me who isn't interested enough to go compiling E17, it seems the Enlightenment community is waiting for the updated Bodhi Linux for a no-hassle, ready-made distro to show us all how great E17 stable is.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

danboid wrote:If anyone is keen to try E17 and you can't get up-to-date packages for your distro, I have been recommended this build script on the #e IRC channel:

https://github.com/ObiWahn/git_e17/
don't install git versions

wait for a user repro of you distro having final release

I'm not familiar with ubuntu but I guess this will give you the final release: https://launchpad.net/~efl/+archive/trunk
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

falkTX wrote:yeah, it probably won't take long until someones makes a stable PPA.
like the one I posted? :lol:
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

Arch got it in official repro allready
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've just had a quick go with Elementary OS so I thought I'd share my first impressions here.

It is obviously heavily inspired by OSX as the dock, desktop and control panel look near identical. However, it doesn't look as slick and polished yet and it has significantly less config tools and options than OSX, which itself isn't famed for its configurabilty but it is still beta so maybe it'll get a few more config options before its first stable release?

They've chosen Midori as the default browser which seems an odd choice to me and its included apps - its text editor, music player etc - are simplistic in the extreme. What really killed it in my mind as a potential Linux desktop is its (seeming) current lack of virtual desktops so at that point it was goodbye from me for at least a major version or two and this is something I've never been without and fully expect under X11 as I make heavy, consistent use of virtual desktops.

Anyone who prefers the OSX desktop to KDE, XFCE, E17, Mate et al but has to run or they want Linux instead for whatever reason (maybe they can't afford a Mac or want to run a open system?) may want to check Elementary out but its not for me nor anyone else who likes the configurability Linux users have come to expect of their desktop.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I use Bodhi which comes with Enlightenment by default, but I hate it - the first thing I do to a new Bodhi installation is install LXDE
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

English Guy wrote:I use Bodhi which comes with Enlightenment by default, but I hate it - the first thing I do to a new Bodhi installation is install LXDE
you probably are using gnome/GTK for a decade? :lol:
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

you probably are using gnome/GTK for a decade?
Nope, originally a KDE user until they shafted that. Quite liked window maker (was quite into dynebolic for a while). I have used Gnome, Xfce even Blackbox in my quest for the perfect desktop (tm)

I just found enlightenment buggy, ugly and counter intuitive. I tried using it for months when I first installed Bodhi but after a few really annoying problems installed LXDE & found I could get what I wanted with far less pain.

I tried it again recently as I would prefer not to install anything else to keep things light, but we just didn't get on. Logged in to it as little as 2 days ago......

I did TRY to like it - honest :?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I've tried them all(though not E17 since it got stable), and I gotta say Cinnamon and LXDE are the only ones for me.