Where is Cadence-Render?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Irwin J. Cespedes
Established Member

Where is Cadence-Render?

Post by Irwin J. Cespedes »

Hi, I was looking at KXStudio site and I found this lovely piece of software called Cadence Render. I would like to install it because Ardour does not supprot RealTime render, so I have to open Audacity in order to mixdown my projects becuase some software synth are not pretty happy with non-RT rendering.

the question is, as the title suggest, Where is Cadence-Render? I have added KXStudio repo, and neither Cadence or Catia are available to install. Thanks for you help!
I am also known as altiplΛne, this is my music

¡Pura Vida! Image
Irwin J. Cespedes
Established Member

Re: Where is Cadence-Render?

Woah! that was fast!

I'm installing them. I'm not going to upgrade the whole distro at the moment, but I'll do it in a few more weeks after I finish some stuff.

Regarding Cadence-Render, I'm installing it. Thanks a lot FalkTX!

¡Pura Vida! Image
amsel
Established Member

Post by amsel »

@ Irwin: Would you report back after testing the current Version. I'd like to know what works and what doesn't :-)
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Glad I'm not the only one with the problem of no RT render. On top of it usually being the most accurate rendering method, I thought I was just missing something in ardour 3 as far as getting synths in songs rendered. Not very useful of a midi sequencer if they haven't provided either of the two most common methods of rendering. Gotta say, the JACK render tool though is probably the simplest yet most important audio tool I have in my setup. I like using a lot of random samples from old footage, and most of it can't be downloaded. JACK render is my best friend!
Irwin J. Cespedes
Established Member

amsel wrote:@ Irwin: Would you report back after testing the current Version. I'd like to know what works and what doesn't :-)
Absolutely, I will report as soon as I remember where the hell is the LADSPA plugin "Simple Low Pass Filter". After that I'll render the project and give the output.
i2productions wrote:Glad I'm not the only one with the problem of no RT render.
Yes, It's a shame Ardour does not support Real Time rendering. Soft synths have a terrible time when rendering sounds. Specially the monophonic ones like AMS. That's what I thought tha Cadence-Render is a killer app for these situations

¡Pura Vida! Image
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Concerning Ardour and real-time rendering you could always create a new audio track, record your synth track into the audio track, then disable the synth track. This is also desirable because it then saves CPU time to not re-render the synth all the time.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Sure it saves on CPU power, but I've found that it also looses something from using the original. It generally mixes better coming directly from the soft synth, mainly because you're adding more to the gain staging. I could also route everything to just one new track and get my final mix that way. But jack render just makes it too easy.
Irwin J. Cespedes
Established Member

i2productions wrote:Sure it saves on CPU power, but I've found that it also looses something from using the original. It generally mixes better coming directly from the soft synth, mainly because you're adding more to the gain staging. I could also route everything to just one new track and get my final mix that way. But jack render just makes it too easy.
Indeed. There is a huge debate about Pro RT Rendering vs. Non RT Rendering. Personally, I do prefer RT rendering over NonRT in situations where soft and hard synths are involve. Basically, because in the mixdown you may lost character or some bits of the real time processing. It is just a personally issue. but people consider is a major thing that should be included in DAWs like Ardour. Nonetheless, there are other tools for this purpose, like Cadence_Render. Thanks God to it.

By the way, let me give you the report.

Ardour3 beta5 behaves super well with Cadence-Render. There are some things I haven't tested, but the usual rendering without using Jack Transport on Ardour works terrificly well. However when I hit the Jack Transport button and try to render using Jack Master Clock, there is a huge click when Cadence attempts to connect to Jack. One suggestion to FalkTX, why don't you create a autocreate pin for Cadence and not a "when-hit-the-record-button-I-connect-to-JACK" feature. because that click affects the beginning of the render.

As far as that, there are not huge DSP processing and CPU works well. One advice, use the maximum power for your computer by using the Performance governor. I use Jupiter for this, or you can do it via Terminal.

With all these points in mind I could efectively mixdown a song to wave in order to send it to master it. No problems at all. Just an automation issue in the project, but Cadence-Render worked extremely fine.

My final score: A, just these suggestions and it would become A+

Cheers!

¡Pura Vida! Image
Irwin J. Cespedes
Established Member

Noup, I'm using: jackd v2 from KXStudio repos. Specifically 6:1.9.8-1+kxstudio6~precise2 package.

¡Pura Vida! Image
Irwin J. Cespedes
Established Member

I'm using Ardour3 Beta5 from the Ardour website: http://ardour.org/files/Ardour_64bit-3.0beta5_13072.tar
I'm on Linux Mint 13 x64
My soundcard is a CMI8738 @42.5ms of latency (A piece of...:lol:)
It happens when I hit the Record button on Cadence-Render when I'm using Jack Transport activated in Ardour.

Padding is something I thought at first time, although, I didn't remembered the term for quoting it. Nonetheless I'll use it in my projects till Cadence-Render gets fit.

¡Pura Vida! Image