Spammers working overtime

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nathan
Site Admin

Re: Spammers working overtime

Post by nathan »

As an FYI, we are running the latest version according the admin panel - phpBB 3.0.10.

If anybody wants to volunteer to install a mod it's fine with me. Send me a PM so I can make sure to do a bleeding edge backup and get you access.

Also, I'll be a way for some time starting this coming week, so we'd want to aim for the second week of August at the earliest.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Capoeira wrote:1st) The software needs an update. It's from 2007!!!!!
As Nathan mentions, we've been on PHPBB3 for a long while now. The 2007 in the footer is just the theme. I added 2012 so we look more modern now ;)
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

raboof wrote:
Capoeira wrote:1st) The software needs an update. It's from 2007!!!!!
As Nathan mentions, we've been on PHPBB3 for a long while now. The 2007 in the footer is just the theme. I added 2012 so we look more modern now ;)
sorry for that, didn't knew

nathan wrote: If anybody wants to volunteer to install a mod it's fine with me. Send me a PM so I can make sure to do a bleeding edge backup and get you access.
I would do it, but I would like to have someone to do it with me, perhaps via skype. just to share the responsibility

I also wouldn't want to decide what plugin(s) to instal. I guess one or two of the first 6 : http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modif ... ti-spam-9/
but they are not available for 3.0.10 yet
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

This is getting out of hand.

Just today (and it's only 18:30) I have deleted no less than 17 'users', all posting 1 or several spam posts.
nathan wrote:If anybody wants to volunteer to install a mod it's fine with me. Send me a PM so I can make sure to do a bleeding edge backup and get you access.

Also, I'll be a way for some time starting this coming week, so we'd want to aim for the second week of August at the earliest.
I won't admit to any PHPBB skills, but I'm willing to help install whatever mod might help.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122696 suggests a 'Q&A CAPTCHA' works well.

However, installing one removes the image captcha, that doesn't seem like a good idea. I see we already have some antispam questions, perhaps we should add 'name a linux distro' (and allow answers from a reasonable list)?
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

raboof wrote:http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122696 suggests a 'Q&A CAPTCHA' works well.
I am the administrator of a phpbb3 forum that was practically destroyed by spam, with literally hundreds of posts per day. The Q&A CAPTCHA solved the problem completely. It was very easy to set up. And the question can be somewhat obvious, like, "what is the word following "music" on the Linux Musicians banner above?" (freely), and still be effective. I definitely recommend the Q&A CAPTCHA.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Not to cheer too early, but after my changes the spam has reduced a lot, and what's left is from users that have completed their registration before saturday. So that's looking pretty good.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

raboof wrote:Not to cheer too early, but after my changes the spam has reduced a lot, and what's left is from users that have completed their registration before saturday. So that's looking pretty good.

what did you do?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Lol looks like i finally broke registration entirely - will look into it tonight. :)
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

raboof wrote:Lol looks like i finally broke registration entirely - will look into it tonight. :)
OK, looks like the more advanced captcha options don't work because our style/theme is incompatible with this newer version of phpBB.

I don't dare touch that without a recent backup and support, so I put a normal captcha back. sorry :/
werock
Established Member

Post by werock »

bhilmers wrote:
raboof wrote:http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122696 suggests a 'Q&A CAPTCHA' works well.
I am the administrator of a phpbb3 forum that was practically destroyed by spam, with literally hundreds of posts per day. The Q&A CAPTCHA solved the problem completely. It was very easy to set up. And the question can be somewhat obvious, like, "what is the word following "music" on the Linux Musicians banner above?" (freely), and still be effective. I definitely recommend the Q&A CAPTCHA.
I second that.

The Q&A 'plugin' should be installed by default in 3.0.10. You can configure it in the 'Spambot Countermesures' bit under the General section. The only thing I have found is that you need to change the question from time to time, as they eventually crack it. And you shouldn't use basic maths questions in the Q&A, as they are easy for spambots to crack.
The normal captcha's are useless - the spambots broke them ages ago.

Another thing you can do (although it involves more moderator work) is to set 'New member post limit' to 1. This will put all new members posts in a moderator queue, so at least if the spammers manage to register their posts won't go though.

PM me if you want any help.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

werock wrote:The Q&A 'plugin' should be installed by default in 3.0.10. You can configure it in the 'Spambot Countermesures' bit under the General section.
I tried that, but it seems our current theme/style causes trouble: the Q&A did not show up, and instead no-one could register anymore.

I'd love your help.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

raboof wrote:
werock wrote:The Q&A 'plugin' should be installed by default in 3.0.10. You can configure it in the 'Spambot Countermesures' bit under the General section.
I tried that, but it seems our current theme/style causes trouble: the Q&A did not show up, and instead no-one could register anymore.

I'd love your help.
what's wrong with changing the theme? would be nice to have a "repainting"
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Definitely open to updating the theme.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Is it not possible for the spam to be ended here ? How do the spammers get access to a board that requires a login ? Is there a way to foil attempts at logging in if it's not a real person ?

This morning every forum was topped by spam. Not attractive. Yes, I know to check back later, but a newbie directed here from one of my articles might think the site is just a spam collector and not bother returning.

Would a system using a capcha work better ?

Best,

dp