HOWTO: REQUEST

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

HOWTO: REQUEST

Post by studio32 »

I think it is a good idea to have a topic where you can make requests for a howto.

It give a good indication which howto's are needed :)

!!!(maybe the mod can stick this one?)
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

I'd like to have a really short and understandable introduction to Pure Data with links to some ready-to-run patches like a simple synth or a sampler.
nostrum fungitur
studio32

Post by studio32 »

zettberlin wrote:I'd like to have a really short and understandable introduction to Pure Data with links to some ready-to-run patches like a simple synth or a sampler.
+1 = 2

(I have some pd patches, but how can I play them?)

EDIT 250408 : did you see: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=205

There is a manual in pd..
If you want to dig a bit deeper, I'd recommend to go to the menu
"Help->Browser->2.control.examples" and read through the first couple of
patches. Or print and read the HTML manual on your way to work
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I'd like to know more about SPECIMEN, but I can't find a howto about it...

http://zhevny.com/specimen/

EDIT: solved: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=234
Last edited by studio32 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claudio
Established Member

Re: warhammer accounts

Post by Claudio »

sherlock12 wrote:<snip spam>
Bad spam...Bad BAD spam!
"You must first control your voltage before you can oscillate."
McVegas

Re: HOWTO: REQUEST

Post by McVegas »

Hi,

I am very much interested in an easy solution to transform .mid files without much work into .mp3 of decent quality. Musical quality should only reflect the idea, nothing beyond.

What I have in mind is to generate a kind of template with whatever software necessary, which enables me to:
1. import the .mid,
2. upgrade the material by plug-ins,
3. export .mp3.

The purpose is to write a partition with lilypond and to produce a .mid-file of that very partition at the same time.

Thanks,

McVegas
drfreema

Post by drfreema »

I'd like to see a How To on how to set up your rig to get Ableton-like results for live performances.

Thanks.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

drfreema wrote:I'd like to see a How To on how to set up your rig to get Ableton-like results for live performances.
I've never used Ableton, perhaps it might be nice to break down what kind of features you use in a live setting, and for which parts you haven't found good components yet under Linux?
loophole

Post by loophole »

I like to have an Howto on using all those little progs that come with jack(d). Also how they interoperate together like jack_lsp to get the names of port to use with jack-connect.

Any one know of one allready exists? Maybe the file list of the debian package can be used as a guideline. http://packages.debian.org/lenny/amd64/jackd/filelist
Keith_EE
Established Member

Post by Keith_EE »

I agree with loophole about jack. Additionally I'd like to see a how-to on properly configuring the sound system to optimally work with jack. My sound is on my motherboard and in the personal configurations under multimedia about 5 different audio devices show up and I have no idea what they all are and what they do.

And something more detailed on how ALSA works with hardware and with PulseAudio. My understanding is that I should use both.

I'm willing to work with someone to help write some how-to manuals. Maybe I would learn enough to really understand how all the audio works inside the computer.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Jacob_79 wrote:best way of learning guitar on your own ??
Use two guitars, an acoustic with giant strings, practice 20 minutes for strength,
then switch to an electric with tiny strings, and play for 5 minutes. Do this at least
twice a day.

Do barred chords on the 3 lowest frets, and chromatic and scale runs and arpeggios
in the same area, where strings are hardest to press.

Try playing melodies in the dark, or with closed eyes. Brain synapses will begin
carving the paths into your brain, for future reference. Do some of this alternating to
the octave point on the neck.
alessandro
Established Member

Post by alessandro »

Hello,
would be nice have a tips about configuring jack or iack2 or cadence (Kxstudio) with firewire board:
i think there are same problems depending hardware (chip firewire on controller, driver video, irq interrupt...) and setting parameters on software.
I have ediroll FA-66 on HP DV6-2193el (i7-720QM) with FW controller JMicron Technology Corp.
For me is relatively good 44.1Khz, 128, 3 fps, with Kxstudio lucid 10.04, kernel 2.6.32.40/41 preempt (i use driver video noveau, not NVidia)...

Alessandro
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

alessandro wrote: For me is relatively good 44.1Khz, 128, 3 fps, with Kxstudio lucid 10.04, kernel 2.6.32.40/41 preempt (i use driver video noveau, not NVidia)...
Alessandro, I have a question and some info for you.
1 - Do you get bertter performance by using Nouveau and not Nvidia?

2 - Firewire cards are not all the same. Get a card with a Texas Instruments (TI) chip on it. They are universally agreed to be the best for audio production in Linux. Here's the one I'm using: http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-firewire-c4/ ... ress-p2634
Think like a gun.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

... bookmarked for some day if I get a motherboard without on-board TI Firewire. Thanks.
gkenne

Post by gkenne »

I am having a rough time getting anything to work through Jack, Ardour. I'm using a M-Audio Fast track, my friend seemed to think I shouldn't have any problem with it being supported. But, I can't get any sound through Ardour, I am very new with linux, at least tweaking anything. Jack seems so difficult to figure out and the documentation for both Jack and Ardour seems to be written for someone who has a degree in Linux or at least already knows exactly what they are talking about, Is there just a common sense step by step process for figuring out how to connect the existing audio connection to the applications. I don't get it, I tried getting this to work about a year ago and I got so frustrated with where to even find the information I needed to get started, I eventually just gave it up. I'm hoping I can get somewhere this time. I need much help, apparently.