newbie: recording electric guitar with JACK creax ardour????

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Idzme
Established Member

newbie: recording electric guitar with JACK creax ardour????

Post by Idzme »

Hi,

I just started with ardour, creox and JACk. I followd some instructions but I can not get the sound of guitar through the pc boxes.
My quetsions:
1. I started JACK, but how can I connect my electric guitar (plugged into MIC-in) to eg Creoz and ardour.
2. I want the osund of my guitar through my pc boxes

any help please?

ps: I installed ubuntu-studio (RT kernel)
studio32

Re: newbie: recording electric guitar with JACK creax ardour

Post by studio32 »

Idzme wrote:Hi,

I just started with ardour, creox and JACk. I followd some instructions but I can not get the sound of guitar through the pc boxes.
My quetsions:
1. I started JACK, but how can I connect my electric guitar (plugged into MIC-in) to eg Creoz and ardour.
2. I want the osund of my guitar through my pc boxes

any help please?

ps: I installed ubuntu-studio (RT kernel)
first: welcome at the forum! :)
second: this belongs not here but in distro and other software ;)

Third: start the pc with your RT kernel and configure jack
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=41

you can start the program jack by

Code: Select all

qjackctl
in your terminal.

4th: If jack is running, listen if your here your guitar making noise... (it should make noise without jack also... I think you can plug it in in mic or line in (I use mic))

5th. If you here sound without and with jack, I think you better start using jack-rack for effects

sudo apt-get install jack-rack
6th. start jack-rack if jack is already running!

jack-rack
7th. connect jack-rack to jack: http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/2966 ... ectwj8.png
(you do better to connect both out_1, out_2 and the both 'gverb' or whatever)

8th. load a jack-file: you can download some here: http://offog.org/stuff/racks/

9th. play guitar!!! :)

maybe this could be usefull too: http://www.64studio.com/node/321

Let us know if it works!

MAybe you want too much at once, but if you want to start recording you could start to make it work with this howto: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=93
Idzme
Established Member

Post by Idzme »

4th: If jack is running, listen if your here your guitar making noise... (it should make noise without jack also... I think you can plug it in in mic or line in (I use mic))
thanks for you're clear answer, but:

when I plug in my guitar in the MIC, I do not here anything, so I think something is going wrong at the very begin :(
Also with JACK running: no sound...
Before starting all the programs and Howto's, first I have to make sure that the sound of my guitar is coming out of my pc boxes :)
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Idzme wrote:
thanks for you're clear answer, but:

when I plug in my guitar in the MIC, I do not here anything, so I think something is going wrong at the very begin :(
Also with JACK running: no sound...
Before starting all the programs and Howto's, first I have to make sure that the sound of my guitar is coming out of my pc boxes :)
Ah ok,

Please try to setup jack first and pay extra attention to the alsa mixer settings, described in the named tutorial.

Make sure the 'ports' are all open (80%) and on....

when that's done.... make sure that also 'capture' is open and the one where your guitar is in is on (mic or line-in)
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

1) You don't really need an RT kernel if stock suffices

2) We've had pam security handle access to realtime for a while

3) So all you need is a system with pam security enabled; and a login manager

4) In fact, I'm doing fine _without_ realtime on. But there's a limit to how much i/o can be handled sanely.

5) Basicaly what you need to know is that qjackctl is your best friend. It starts the jack server, and provides you with a GUI to "connect" application to application, or any input to output/vice versa.

6) Click on "Connect". You'll see "system" and "system". Left is hardware, right is software. You should see capture on the left, and playback on the right. playback_1 == left speaker and playback_2 == right speaker, capture_1 == mic port and capture_2 == nothing/built-in laptop mic.

7) You'd want to connect capture_1 to playback_1 and 2. Highlight capture_1 and highlight the "system" on the right panel. Drag your cursor from the former to the latter and you should hear your guitar. You can save your setup via "Patchbay", so next time you can load it. This is called "patchbay persistence" if you want to load it automatically on qjackctl startup.

8) If you don't hear anything, click on your alsa mixer of choice and check everything has been turned up and unmuted.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

@ schivmeister: seems we have a new experienced user at our forum, welcom! :)

@Idzme: I've posted two howto's about guitar effecting processors: ams and jack-rack.
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

Heh, I don't know about experience but I'm talking as long as it's linux and/or music :mrgreen:
nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

schivmeister wrote:Basicaly what you need to know is that qjackctl is your best friend.
Amen to that!
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Just go into your also mixer, select input, and check the little green dot above "mic". If the red dot bellow it is check, then it is set as your recording source and if the green dot above it is check, then you will hear what is going into your mic input. The reason that it is off by defualt it to prevent feedback.

-Matt :D

studio32

Post by studio32 »

@ Idzme, did you solve your problem?