Nvidia why they don't release 3D driver source

Completely and utterly unrelated.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

SR
Established Member

Re: Nvidia why they don't release 3D driver source

Post by SR »

Heavy Duty wrote:their so-called "copyrights" should never be respected.
While I agree with most of what you said this statement is the kind of attitude that has the MAFIAA lobbying for the reduction of civil rights in the name of stopping piracy.
brummer

Post by brummer »

warkus wrote:Hi all, I recently asked Nvidia via their website why they don't release the source code for their 3D drivers.
(My question was more like a short essay on the benefits of open source :lol: )
I recieved two emails in response without being able to provide another answer than the one on the Nvidia FAQ (which I stated in my question to them as being a weak excuse).
slowpick wrote: In warkus OP, he admits calling nVidia 'weak', and with a snickering smiley, so it's clear the intent
of his question was provocative, not 'reasonable'. And also using 'why don't you', instead of 'will you please', implies some wrong-doing on nVidias part, rather than just asking them politely, without the agenda.
Aha, well, now that you stated that out, I see it also, well, warkus call nVidia 'weak', and the format of his question is truly 'provocative' :lol:
slowpick wrote: These subtle insults are remembered by heads of successful businesses, and the linux community looses credibility, every time these ridiculous code ownership issues are brought up. [. . .]
:lol: :lol: :lol:
warkus wrote: The response from the Linux Support team said that my question was going to be taken to the decision makers, I am not sure who the "decision makers" are but at least the question of open sourcing drivers will be asked at an executive level.

Anyway just thought I'd share this, I will post any info/replies I get from Nvidia in regards to open sourcing the 3D driver, I'm not holding my breath tho.
Thanks warkus that you share your experience with us, by the way. :)
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Heavy Duty wrote:AutoStatic is right on this one. Downloading music should be free, and artists should get paid for concerts.

Go to Reverbnation, and see how many artists give all of their music for free. They want to get famous, downloading is like radio play for them.

Hollywood and record companies are nothing but leeches and culture vampires, and their so-called "copyrights" should never be respected.
Downloading money from your account, should be free,
you should be forced to work more jobs, have fewer possessions,
and sleep shorter hours, so freeloaders can enjoy
what you worked for.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

The Beatles got a penny for every single they sold in their early days. Later on that went up to a whopping 69 cents. And where did the rest go? Not to the hard working musicians. Who are the freeloaders here?
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

It's obvious where this discussion is going.

Here's an example of me shamelessly copying and pasting someone else's hard work without proper attribution:

Code: Select all

/          \       the trolls        |
                /      \     \                        |
               /   _    \     \ ---------------------- 
              /    |\____\     \     ||                
             /     | | | |\____/     ||                
            /       \|_|_|/   |    __||                
           /  /  \            |____| ||                
          /   |   | /|        |      --|               
          |   |   |//         |____  --|               
   * _    |  |_|_|_|          |     \-/                
*-- _--\ _ \     //           |                        
  /  _     \\ _ //   |        /                        
*  /   \_ /- | -     |       |                         
  *      ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________    
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

AutoStatic wrote:
'They' should
Why don't 'they'
There is this common thread, that strangers are entitled to things other people own,
and that successful individuals and business entities, should, on the
whim of strangers, change the policies, practices, and pricing that enabled their success.

My general point, is, that nobody will impose the same decrees upon themselves,
that they wish to impose on businesses, and 'the rich'. You want to own that which makes nVidia and Coldplay, successful, but your cars are locked at night, rather than letting the homeless drive them away, your homes are locked when you go to work, rather than letting strangers come in and take what they like, your wallets are in your pocket, closely guarded.

Asking you to give me your best guitar is one thing, but should I then go on a forum to tell the world
that your refusal to do so, proves you don't understand how to manage your possessions?

People have the right to manage their own property and business, and to succeed or fail in the marketplace. Let the chips fall where they may. Now Spain has the chance to learn from
what happened in America: Our politicians bailed out banks, took over corporations,
and transferred bad debts into the future. The nations credit was downgraded, meaning higher interest and deeper debt, and now faces a second downgrade, since the bailouts predictably failed miserably. Investors trapped in the uncertainty of such chaos, are sitting on
their money, making the situation worse, unemployment has risen so fast, that anyone who
exhausts their unemployment account, is taken out of the employment statistics. :twisted:

The media calls it 8%, when it is close to 19%. :roll:

Discussing critical economic policies an personal philosophies, is not trolling.
But the post from SR does prove again, that this is a talented community!
Heavy Duty
Established Member

Post by Heavy Duty »

Slowpick has a point, asking a company for something they've already decided they don't want to give, and acting like they have a responsibility to do so, does seem a bit naive. Although it would certainly be nice, and all of us in the Linux community would appreciate it.

But the case of music downloads is entirely different. The natural state of music distribution has always been free - via soundwaves through the air. Historically, the only way musicians made money was through live performances, it was only in the twentieth century that it could be sold on different mediums. It could be argued that this was a form of artificial scarcity, where a middleman stepped in and took control of distribution for their own profit.

At least back then a record company had useful functions, such as creating tracks in a studio or pressing discs. But now anyone with a computer can produce studio-quality songs, and discs are no longer necessary. All we're left with is a bunch of corporate leeches parasitically trying to take a cut of our cultural output via power and unjust laws.

The Internet has levelled the playing field and brought music back to where it was before the record player. All music should be free to hear, and musicians should make their money from live performances, as they have throughout history.

That is all.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Heavy Duty wrote:acting like they have a responsibility to do so, does seem a bit naive.
As far as I can see no-one here is acting like NVIDIA has any responsibility or obligation to release their sources.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Heavy Duty wrote:
All music should be free to hear, and musicians should make their money from live performances, as they have throughout history.
You are no king, free people can still sell, trade, or give music away, as THEY please.
The music itself, however created, cannot be separated from the
infrastructure needed to deliver it, cables spanning the oceans, satellites in space,
transmission towers, service providers, banks of servers, the real estate needed for it,
vast empires make it all possible.

Are you a thief, who is in possession of commercial music files stolen by download
or copied media?
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

raboof wrote:
Heavy Duty wrote:acting like they have a responsibility to do so, does seem a bit naive.
As far as I can see no-one here is acting like NVIDIA has any responsibility or obligation to release their sources.
If the OP did not impute responsibility and obligation to nVidia,
the question posed would have been even more meaningless.

Folks liberally state that record companies and pro musicians SHOULD do
a, b, and c, like petty tyrants, so the cheapskates don't have to pay for music, stating

'what you call thieving downloaders I call a sign of the times'.

A sign of dark times, indeed.
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

Heavy Duty wrote: All we're left with is a bunch of corporate leeches parasitically trying to take a cut of our cultural output via power and unjust laws.
You are claiming ownership claiming 'our cultural output', but I submit that Imogen Heap,
the Gipsy Kings, and Britney, who create their fair share of cultural output,
all work hard for their money, as do the roadies, mastering technicians, office staff,
studio musicians, songwriters, royalty houses, and even teh eeeevilll boss man himself,
who dares to own a business, in the face of such enlightened opposition.

Tell me which of the above, should go penniless, so you and your ilk,
can hoover the cultural output, without paying a dime?
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

slowpick wrote:Discussing critical economic policies an personal philosophies, is not trolling.
It is when when then sole purpose of your contributions to the discussion is to insult anyone whose opinions run counter to your own.
Heavy Duty
Established Member

Post by Heavy Duty »

SR wrote:
slowpick wrote:Discussing critical economic policies an personal philosophies, is not trolling.
It is when when then sole purpose of your contributions to the discussion is to insult anyone whose opinions run counter to your own.

Oh, please. He isn't trolling, he merely disagrees with the idea that a company is under an obligation to share their intellectual property.

(And that's coming from somebody he disagrees with!)
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

Heavy Duty wrote:
Oh, please. He isn't trolling, he merely disagrees with the idea that a company is under an obligation to share their intellectual property.

(And that's coming from somebody he disagrees with!)
Merely disagreeing and being insulting are completely different things. His metaphors are childish at best and serve no purpose other than to belittle any other point of few (or do you agree that open source is equivalent to letting the homeless borrow your car?)
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

AutoStatic wrote:The Beatles got a penny for every single they sold in their early days. Later on that went up to a whopping 69 cents. And where did the rest go? Not to the hard working musicians. Who are the freeloaders here?
Musicians sign contracts with free will, not always with intelligence. It's a business.
Using the Beatles as an example of musician poverty, won't get many tears to fall on my street.