LMMS: connect to other apps?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

LMMS: connect to other apps?

Post by studio32 »

Is it possible to connect LMMS to for example hydrogen or linuxsampler? There are only master outs...
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: LMMS: connect to other apps?

Post by funkmuscle »

only if they fix it to work with jack. I've been trying that for years now and they say they've fixed the issue with jack but I installed the ltest beta that suppose to support jack and yet it runs slow this the xruns crashes it.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

funkmuscle wrote:only if they fix it to work with jack. I've been trying that for years now and they say they've fixed the issue with jack but I installed the ltest beta that suppose to support jack and yet it runs slow this the xruns crashes it.
But with only master outputs you can't connect is to other apps isn't it?

Try set off realtime in qjackctl settings for running lmms with jack
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, you can't sync it to others apps. What I do run it with alsa, once I have what I need, export to wav, then inport it to ardour then sync it with whatever. It now supports soundfonts which is cool.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

How is your workflow with lmms? Do you use embedded instruments/ samples ???
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I haven't used it for sometime as I got fed up with the high cpu useage. It distorts after a while but version .0.4 maybe promising. I'm waiting for it. I use to use samples I found on the net and some of the instruments that comes with it.
I
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Did the realtime thing solve your LMMS-jack problem?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

me and a few guys that use ArchLinux are messing around with the RT kernel and now my system is not working well. I'll let you know once I have things fixed.

LMMS just plan doesn't work with Jack. I've tried may distros. I use removal drives. Arch is the main(99.99%) distro I use but sometime, I will load sidux, JAD or UbuntuStudio. All have issue with LMMS and jackd but LMMS runs great without jack. Even at one point I tried 64Studio and same thing with LMMS. I still do love the app for though.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

well, LMMS 0.4.0 is out and no difference. It only works good with the OSS drivers. It's sluggish with ALSA no matter how much I adjust the latency, no hope at all for jackd (rt or not) but when OSS is chosen, I get very little pops.
See, I get a popping sound when using it with ALSA or jackd. It doesn't seem to be using up too much cpu going by the cpu meter on the app.
I really hope the next release will fix that issue... Looks great and lots of new toys.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Yesterday, I tried LMMS 0.4.0 out of curiosity. It zombified and crashed my jack session as soon as I started it. No way I will use this app :lol:

info:
jack version svn@3066
kernel 2.6.24.3-rt3
debian sid
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I know. I haven't found anyone who's happy with LMMS. It looks great, the idea is great but it is so frustrating to use. I got it going with OSS. That still was acting funny towards the end so I packed it in.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

funkmuscle wrote:I know. I haven't found anyone who's happy with LMMS. It looks great, the idea is great but it is so frustrating to use. I got it going with OSS. That still was acting funny towards the end so I packed it in.
Just adding a "me too". It looks neat and polished. The included demo's almost sound interesting enough to keep my attention to explore the app further. Unfortunately the pops and crackles destroy my motivation after a couple of minutes. Using OSS is almost tolerable but there are still too many audio artifacts for me to put any faith in the app.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I'm a bit curious here. My wife's pc has XP on it, I will install LMMS on there to see how it runs because I've noticed many apps developed on linux then ported to Windows, develop a Windows fan base then cater to that OS and forget the Linux fans.
Will let you know as soon as I have time.

Just like I thought, it runs flawlessly under Windows... In fact, it's an amazing app on Windows... Funny that it's call Linux MultiMedia Studio........
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

Crashes under Wine as soon as it loads a project.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

but on XP, it runs amazingly. This app is not made for linux.