Please Help - Testing DISTRHO Plugins in KXStudio

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DoosC
Established Member

Re: Please Help - Testing DISTRHO Plugins in KXStudio

Post by DoosC »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install arctican-plugins arctican-plugins-lv2
TheFunction (standalone) -> Launches and works
ThePilgrim (standalone)-> Launches and works

TheFunction (LV2) -> Loads and works
ThePilgrim (LV2) -> Loads and works

Standalone versions have a preset menu that lv2 ones haven't.
Lv2 were loaded from LV2 Rack (I usually use Carla but has you pointed out in another post it is temporarly broken on 12.04).

Is that the kind of feedback you need ? If not what other informations would be worthwhile ?
I'm just a user not a dev so I just did some basics user tests :wink:
| DoosC |
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

falkTX wrote:The most important test is to make sure a session saves and loads correctly.
Not sure what you mean here. Session as in a ladish session or session as the state that should be restored in the standalones plugins ?

I can try to launch(standalone)/load(in lv2rack) the plugings and see if they work but not sure what would you like me to do as "sessions tests" ?
| DoosC |
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

OK I see sorry for not getting this immediately :oops:
So basically every plugin I tried to load seems to work fine (I mean at producing the sound it is expected to produce).

I did some more testing but I won't be able to do more until next week-end :

The first time I launch a standalone version it has a weird behavior :
- it connects automatically to H/W capture and playback
- it shows no midi port until you go to the Audio Settings menu and activate one
- if you uncheck audio port in intput/ouptut the ports not only disconnect but also disappear

sudo apt-get install arctican-plugins arctican-plugins-lv2
Standalone
TheFunction -> Launches and works and restores state (if I use the quit menu from the plugin not if I stop the plugin from Claudia)
ThePilgrim -> Launches and works and restores state (if I use the quit menu from the plugin not if I stop the plugin from Claudia)

LV2
TheFunction -> Loads and works but not tried state restoring
ThePilgrim -> Loads and works but not tried state restoring

sudo apt-get install distrho-plugin-ports distrho-plugin-ports-lv2
Standalone
argotlunar -> Launches and works and restores session (if I use the quit menu from the plugin not if I stop the plugin from Claudia)
-> doesn't appear in Klaudia effect tab
bitmangler -> Launches and works but values of the sliders do not restore
juce_pitcher -> Launchers but don't know what to expect
sDelay -> Launches and works but values of the knobs are not applied even if displayed values are correct
vex
-> Launches but don't how to get sounds out of that one

LV2
not tried
| DoosC |
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

I have a problem with all juced plugins : when I set the audio properties to "jack", I can't see any inputS/outputs in the setup window, and nothing appears in Claudia.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

falkTX wrote:
stanlea wrote:I have a problem with all juced plugins : when I set the audio properties to "jack", I can't see any inputS/outputs in the setup window, and nothing appears in Claudia.
I've seen this happening on certain conditions, but was never able to figure out what exactly causes this... :?
Does other Standalone plugins also have this issue, or it's just the 'juced' ones? (Capsaicain, DrumSynth and EQinox)

can you describe me your current system please? (jack version, audio interface/card used, etc).
Hum... it works now, maybe an update solved this issue. Capsaicin, Drumsynth, Vex, ... works.
In fact, Vex crashes, but it's not your part. This synth is not finished.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Hi falk,

Probably not on point but: I compile the distrho git repo almost every day, and I've been testing the results on three different systems. The boxes are running AVLinux 5.0, Ubuntu 10.04, and an Arch 64 system. Most of the ports and plugins have been working except for a continuing segfault with the drowaudio-flanger. Alas, this morning's checkout is completely borked. The switch from programs.h to lv2_programs.h was not fixed for a primary Juce file (JucePlugMain.cpp, IIRC), but everything built cleanly after fixing the problem. Unfortunately, all plugins/ports now fail with a segfault (except for the Vex synth) at startup. No other error is reported. Btw, I haven't tested today's build on the other machines, only the AVLinux box.

I realize the errors are only temporary, and I want to encourage you to continue this development. The things you've chosen to update/upgrade are some very fine things, I look forward to being able to use them in my normal workflow (which usually includes Ardour3).

Best,

dp
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

falkTX wrote:Yeah, sorry about the last git push, I had to upload changes to show the new 'jackass' plugin, but in git one needs to push the whole repo at once...
I was not sure if the changes had broke the build or not, so thanks for the heads up, now I know
No problem. I live to test. :)
I'll fix this ASAP (lv2 time-pos support coming!)
Thanks, I'll keep checking the repo. No hurry here.

Best,

dp
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

falkTX wrote:Should be fixed now, and time-pos is in!
You'll need to re-run premake-update again, because I've changed where the binaries are put (now separated by plugin type).
Thanks ! The standalones are back, I haven't tested the plugins yet.
No host implements time-pos at the moment, but I'm already talking to Rui about this (and my own Carla host will support it too, soon).
Will this extension permit loading a plugin at a specific point on a track's timeline ?

Best,

dp
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

falkTX wrote:In "time-pos" support I mean the host's being able to transmit where the master transport is currently at (say bar,beat,tick of 2:04:01 and 120 BPM). In qtractor's case, it will just pass the jack transport info into the plugins.
This is useful for example for delays, which use the BPM to do time calculations so it matches the song rhythm.
Got it, thanks. More cool stuff. :)

Best,

dp
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

A quick question: Is the Zynaddsubfx LV2 (or other) plugin supposed to be included in the full build ? I can compile and install the standalone from its directory in the distrho tree, but I can't find how to build a ttl file for the LV2 plugin. Suggestions ?
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Greetings,

I'm testing the latest revisions of Ardour3, it seems that it's not getting along completely with some of the distrho plugins. The plugs will open, but if I close the plugin GUI or delete the plugin from the channel strip then A3 crashes. AFAICT other LV2 plugins are behaving all right. Let me know if you'd like me to test anything during these builds, it'd be nice to have your collection run reliably on A3.

Btw, I'm going to upgrade one of my machines from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04 and install KXStudio. Won't happen right away, but it's on the schedule. I keep reading good things about it. :)

Best,

dp
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

falkTX wrote:From what I know, it is an issue with the suil library when closing UIs. It has been fixed in the latest SVN but there's no new release yet. Can you please re-try the latest suil from SVN? I had the same issue before, but now they work fine (even Qt4 UIs in Ardour, which is Gtk2). On KXStudio 12.04 PPAs I'm using exactly that and Ardour3 seems to work fine.
Done and done, thank you. The problem seems to be gone now.

Best,

dp
mwinthrop
Established Member

Post by mwinthrop »

Hello FalkTX - I very recently installed Ubuntu Studio 12.04 on my computer and installed KXStudio, running XFCE (now triple booting Windows 7, Ubuntu 11.04, and Ubuntu 12.04). I did a nearly complete installation of KXStudio (none of the non-free plugins installed). I also ran the KXStudio welcome with the force reset of all settings, but unchecked the Update Theme box. I installed all of the plugins identified in this thread.

I have tried a few of the Juced plugins and regret to report I cannot seem to get them to work, though I have tried only a limited amount of trouble shooting. This seems to be the same problem I had with these plugins on Ubuntu Studion 11.04 with KXStudio (reported on the Ubuntu Studio forum a few months back). Specifically, there is no output option available in the plugin audio options when selecting Jack and I do not see the plugin appear at all in programs such as Catia. If I select one of the active midi inputs, the plugin will appear in Catia, but it will only show inputs for midi. There is no audio output. I have verified I can run successfully programs such as Pianoteq and Aeolus. Have only gotten to a certain point in this new install since I had to learn alot about triple booting recently. I noticed another person on this thread apparently had the same problem with Juced plugins I am having, but it fixed itself somehow. So far, I have not seen this happen.

I did find one exception for the Juced plugins not working which is Nekobee. Nekobee does not appear to have the ability to change the audio settings. I was able to run this from Terminal and play it using the Jack Keyboard, so this one does work. Another odd thing is I can't seem to start this program using Klaudia. I could not start Highlife or Peggy2000 from Klaudia, either. When I double click, nothing happens. It seems other programs start, though I did not test everything.

Happy to try to help troubleshoot . . . I won't be available Monday-Tuesday this week, but should be around other days. Thanks.
mwinthrop
Established Member

Post by mwinthrop »

I'm aware of this issue, but I can't reproduce it here, nor do I know how to fix it.
Simply ignore the Standalones (they are mostly for testing plugin features, not very useful alone), and use the plugin LV2|VST versions instead. Those should work ok depending on the host.
O.K. I am thinking this might be something related to my hardware since it is repeatable on my system, but does not seem to happen with other people. Anyway, I have and continue to enjoy KXStudio - it is a nice system.
Try using 'claudia-launcher' in 12.04 systems instead (no desktop/menu file for it yet)
claudia-launcher works much better. I'll use that for now on. Thanks!
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Using Ardour 3.0 beta4a, TAL Noisemaker produces no sound, and crashes Ardour when I try to open the GUI.