Using pulse-jack

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Using pulse-jack

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Like many folks I'm pretty curious about Ubuntu 12.04 so I did an install in a VM and of course my first stop was the KXStudio PPA. As always hats off to you falktx, do you EVER sleep? So far I'm using jack2 with qjackctl, I read and noticed I have to call the pulse-jack script every time I launch JACK in order to prevent the plague of Pulseaudio from spoiling the fun, can the pulse-jack command just be appended to the command in Qjackctl or does it need to be a separate process?

I did actually remove Pulseaudio for a while because that's what I'm used to but then I ran into problems with building libflashsupport-jack for seamless Youtube JACK support, I really didn't take the time to bother figuring the problem out and since I'm just visiting Ubuntu-land I suppose I'd better learn to do it their way...lol

So I suppose in addition to the pulse-jack question I might suggest packaging libflashsupport-jack in case any other weirdos like me want to run without Pulseaudio.

Oh yeah one more thing. I'm using stock Ubuntu with Unity (not as horrid as I thought) and the calfjackhost (your GIT package) window doesn't seem to display the 'File' and 'Add Plugin' selections when you launch it, maybe it's a Unity/Ambience thing?

You rock falktx! I'm not converted to Ubuntu yet but I'll be keeping this VM alive for a while to spy on you! JK :D
Last edited by GMaq on Tue May 01, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Using jack-pulse

Post by GMaq »

Great!

I'll have a look at your script later tonight and give it a try. Thanks for sharing that!
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Using pulse-jack

Post by GMaq »

OK,

I get an error in the terminal here, probably just from the forum formatting or a copy and paste error.

Here it is:

Code: Select all

glen@glen-VirtualBox:~$ cadence-aloop-daemon
/usr/bin/cadence-aloop-daemon: line 14: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/bin/cadence-aloop-daemon: line 14: `    if (version_info >= (3,0)):'
glen@glen-VirtualBox:~$ 
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

OK Cool,

Works fine here now, I'm geting noise artifacts from Youtube but that may be because I'm running JACK at 2048fpp in Virtualbox. Otherwise the script runs without errors and the alsa2jack and jack2alsa clients all are showing up in my connections. Nice work dude!!

I might try it on my AV development box just to see if it works outside of Ubuntu...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,

I have ALSA 1.0.25 here but not python 3.0 (2.6) but I'm having an issue, might be because of my soundcard, this machine has 2 M-Audio 1010LTs. Might be interesting to know about though since a lot of KXStudio users probably also have 1010LT's. I'll grab my laptop and try it there with the onboard craptel soundcard and post back...

**EDIT**

Nope laptop doesn't work either and gives the same error, oh well works on 'buntu was worth a try here I guess...I don't expect you to fix it, just passing along the info.

Here's what I'm getting now:

tester@av503desk:~$ cadence-aloop-daemon
alsa_in: no process found
alsa_out: no process found
zita-a2j: no process found
zita-j2a: no process found
pulseaudio: no process found
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1505:(_snd_pcm_direct_get_slave_ipc_offset) Invalid value for card
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Bingo!

The module was the issue. Well isn't that pretty... you are a genius falktx!

I'll continue testing it with various apps running. With your blessing I may roll it in to AV Linux 6.0 development (not released until June so you should have KXStudio 12.04 out for quite a while by then hopefully) If you'd rather I didn't that's totally cool too :wink:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Cool,

Well I know it's open but I always like to ask anyway especially when I am speaking directly to the developer, Open source is no excuse for bad manners... :D

As far as python 3.0 it's in Debian Testing and Sid along with python3-pyqt4 but not in Stable (Squeeze) and I am sticking with Squeeze for AV 6.0. The nice thing about lilv and all that drobilla stuff is it is very self-contained so it's easy to grab it from Testing without dependency problems however python 3.0 will screw things up majorly for me right now so I realize I will have to sit out from some of your latest greatest stuff for a while but if the older Carla behaves herself with your DISTRHO ports things will be fine. I enjoy and celebrate your work but nobody does KXStudio better than you so there's no need for me to clone it although I'm very excited about incorporating the stuff we've already discussed.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

The festige binary works perfectly here, that is pretty slick and easy! Thanks so much for packaging the DISTRHO plugins that's awesome! I have some packages with the existing ones already but I'll just substitute yours.

I think I'll build a package for cadence-aloop-daemon with a launcher that just opens an xterm to show you it's running, not really necessary but I've done the same thing for WineASIO. Obviously the user will need to preload the module and edit or create their own asoundrc. Of course on a LiveDVD it can be made ready to run OOTB.
odonnell
Established Member

cadence-aloop-daemon fails on Jack restart

Post by odonnell »

I was running the scheme with falkTX's proposed ~/.asoundrc and /usr/bin/cadence-aloop-daemon quite successsfully. Then, I decided to see what happens when I restart Jack from Cadence. Alas, failure. No alsa2jack items appear in the Catia canvas. When I restart cadence-aloop-daemon, I get the complaints:

alsa_in: no process found
alsa_out: no process found
zita-a2j: no process found
zita-j2a: no process found
pulseaudio: no process found
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cloop
ALSA lib pcm.c:2217:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM ploop
The "no process found" complaints appear to be harmless: cadence-aloop-daemon tries to kill the processes and the kill command reports that they weren't there. But the two ALSA lib pcm.c complaints are probably the killers, though I don't understand them.
odonnell
Established Member

cadence-aloop-failure leads to different useful behavior

Post by odonnell »

As mentioned in the previous post, I restarted Jack from Cadence, and the behavior of cadence-aloop-daemon failed. In particular, the alsa2jack connections disappeared from Catia.

Before restarting, I fired up Totem and Banshee again. To my surprise, they formed independent connections to jack, with names such as "alsa-jack.jackP.4816.2". The connectors had names "out_000" and "out_001" instead of the ones provided for alsa2jack before. Rhythmbox, which seems to connect to Jack directly without using Alsa, gets connectors named "out_autoaudiosink1-actual-sink-jackaudio_1" and "..._2".

I have no idea what's going on. By accident and partial failure I've received some of the behavior that I would like: separate Jack connections for different Alsa clients, separately targettable in Catia. I'd like them to have the names of the apps, rather than the cryptic "alsa-jack ...", but that's a small issue. Alas, the persistent connection to my choice of output is lost, and at each restart of the application stream I get a new connection to the Jack system default.
odonnell
Established Member

cadence-aloop-daemon failure due to non-custom Alsa Audio Br

Post by odonnell »

I figured out the failure mentioned in the previous post.

When I restarted Jack in Cadence, I thoughtlessly reset the Alsa Audio Bridge button from "Custom" to "Jack" This rewrote my ~/.asoundrc file back to the original kxstudio system version, and of course eliminated "Custom" as a choice in future restarts.

Having restored everything, I think I'm OK, but it's late and I'm punchy, so I won't try to verify everything.

I think that rewriting ~/.asoundrc for a restart of Jack from Cadence is a very bad idea, and I hope that it will change as Cadence matures. At least, it should back up the old version (which I'm pretty sure it did not). I had some confusion about this when I first installed KXStudio, and falkTX mentioned my custom .asoundrc, but I didn't grok the whole point.

I am puzzled and intrigued by the different behaviors of Alsa clients with {standard .asoundrc | aloop .asoundrd} * {cadence-aloop-daemon running | cadence-aloop-daemon not running}, and will try to figure it out somewhat better tomorrow when I'm mostly awake :D

Cheers,
odonnell
Established Member

Re: cadence-aloop-daemon failure due to non-custom Alsa Audi

Post by odonnell »

falkTX wrote: (Are you sure you didn't changed the 'custom' option to 'jack' ?)
That's exactly what I did, and I see that it caused the problem.
darrel_jw
Established Member

Post by darrel_jw »

Hello!
I have been following this dialog, and was wondering if further advances have been completed in the last 2 years? I am running Linux Mint 17 with KXStudio and have a lot of the same issues covered here. I have been trying to use Cadence and Claudia to handle configuring and starting Jack, and then configuring Ardour and a synth. I had things working for awhile, then they stopped! I run my guitar and mic through a Peavey PV6 into my HP laptop. I was able to record both vocal and guitar and life was good. For the last month I have been doing other things, and when I went to use it now I get horrendous feedback in the mike, AND no sound when connecting a synth to Ardour to hardware playback in Claudia. Does that make any sense? Sadly, I am a relative newbie to Linux.

Darrel
darrel_jw
Established Member

Post by darrel_jw »

falkTX wrote:Make sure you got all the updates and try again.
If it still happens report an issue or start a new thread.
According to the Update Manager I have all updates and my system is current. I run an HP quad-core dv7 laptop with 8 GB ram and 2 TBs of hard disk. In Cadence I have ALSA-PulseAudio-JACK (Plugin) bridge always on.

Now an interesting thing (at least I think so!), I installed gnome-alsa-mixer, went to the USB Mixer tab, and rasied the PCM volume to max, and now I have I have audio! So my question - why would PCM have gotten turned off (particularly when the only way I seem to be able to affect it was by installing gnome-alsa-mixer)? I really appreciate the help you folks give to us!

Darrel
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

GMaq wrote: So I suppose in addition to the pulse-jack question I might suggest packaging libflashsupport-jack in case any other weirdos like me want to run without Pulseaudio.
I've had no need for libflashsupport-jack since I dumped qjackctl for Cadence - primarily because it features the ALSA bridge. The ALSA bridge works fine without PA, in fact it seems PA takes pref. over the ALSA bridge if you have them both running but I've not had any real probs in either config unless I use J1, in which case the Cadence ALSA bridge is temperamental.
F wrote: I was planning to get this default for 12.04, but it was (again) one of the things that I couldn't do in time.
???

Doesn't the ALSA bridge do exacty the same thing as alsa_in/out?
F wrote: When we use this method, we will **never** need pulseaudio again (unless some app depends on it).
I intend to update the KX manual in time for the next KXS release and I have been forced into promoting PA's status from an also-ran thing to avoid into something quite important now that Skype has gone PA only. This, PA vs ALSA etc will be covered by the updates.

I wish Mumble had video support and more users or there was a full and working alternative to Skype for Linux but sadly that isn't the case so lots of people still want to use Skype. Sad but true so until this is fixed, PA has become a must for many.