Samson C01U

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

script

Samson C01U

Post by script »

Hi,

Im swiching from XP to Ubuntu studio and want to know if my microphone is working on linux and how I get it to work. It has a direct usb connection and want to record voice in Ardour.

qjackctl is already running...

EDIT: ok found a solution: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=449974

But when I select the mic in qjackctl I cant select a soundcard, so I cant here my recorded voice... is it possible to select the mic AND soundcard?
raboof
Established Member

Re: Samson C01U

Post by raboof »

script wrote:Im swiching from XP to Ubuntu studio and want to know if my microphone is working on linux and how I get it to work. It has a direct usb connection and want to record voice in Ardour.

qjackctl is already running, but when I select the mic in qjackctl I cant select a soundcard, so I cant here my recorded voice... is it possible to select the mic AND soundcard?
What do you mean by 'select'? The 'Interface' under setup->settings? That's for the output device.

I *think* your microphone should show up under 'Connect->Audio' as a 'readable client /output port', and you should be able to connect it to your soundcard at the 'writable client / input port' side.
TraumFlug
Established Member

Re: Samson C01U

Post by TraumFlug »

Hi there, I've got that mic, too - it was a gift by someone dear, now knowing more whereabouts I'd rather go for a "analog mic -> preamp -> soundcard" sollution, but well, I've got no spare money and that beast sitting here...

it is indeed a problem to get this thing running somehow while being able to monitor oneself while recording, like it's strange to have backing tracks on the headphones (probably ones that dampen external noise...) and not hearing what you sing/rap/play to the mic!!

my first bet was trying to set up jack straigt with the mic as capture device and the soundcard as playback device - it worked only with latencies above 20 ms for me, or I would get constant xruns and even jack freezing the system if running in rt mode. 20 ms (x2 for mic->pc->soundcard) is definately no good thing for natural performance!!

then I tried Jack2 with the audioadapter and got way better results! on the forums there's a post regarding netjack that describes how to install Jack2 on debian based (I use plain ubuntu) systems: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1010. make sure you use (as of today) the svn version as it got a bug fixed that prevented capture-only mode from working!

once installed, set the c01u up to 64 frames/period, 2 periods & 48k sampling rate - that's the lowest I could get, it's stable - for lower frames/period values jack refuses to start up!

then you load your soundcard with the audioadapter: it was designed for netjack, and for having a network slave output from its soundcard, but it is also very fine for sync'ing multiple soundcards/devices in a single box!!

start with

Code: Select all

jack_load soundcard audioadapter -i "-p64"
for achieving the same settings as for the mic. 2 inputs and 2 outputs should appear in jack, that use your "soundcard" (it will be named so).

now connect the mic to the output, or even better, to some equalizer and a reverb, and then to the output and you can monitor yourself! I found it is still lagging more than it should, but it is now bareley possible to work with that thing. don't know if it's the audioadapter or the mic itself introducing the latency, maybe the adapter could be tuned for better latency, it's still not very featureristic...

in order to unload the soundcard before stopping the jack server do "jack_unload soundcard" before terminating jack, or it will nag at you...

of course you could also run jack with your soundcard as interface and "jack_load audioadapter..." the mic into the system, but then the mic'd be resampled, thus loosing quality, and you'd definately want to record the mic at best possible quality while the soundcard output is just for monitoring and not recorded.

I hope this helps some people to being able to use that bulby thing for something good...I'll definately try to :wink: