Sitar sound for keyboards?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aicram
Established Member

Sitar sound for keyboards?

Post by aicram »

Dear All,

I am looking for an authentic sitar sound for keyboards or software synthesizers . Does anyone know if lmms, yoshimi, etc., has a nice sitar sound included or that could be added on?

I use ubuntustudio lucid.

Thank you.

Marcia
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: Sitar sound for keyboards?

Post by Capoeira »

yea....we got girl :D

this instrument is far to complex to emulate it, sorry...depending on what you want achieve you could try st like realguitar and put some effects on it
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Thank you for your reply. I imagine the sitar is difficult to emulate. I found this youtube video http://youtu.be/Uf1YAiIp_k4, a keyboard playing a good sitar sound, I thought.

After I posted I found some info on this site that lead me to the general midi wiki. There is a sitar sound that is no. 104 I believe,if that makes any sense. I am a bit of a newbie about all of this. I also found a free sitar vst that I downloaded. I do not know how to do these things yet, but I am making a study of it.

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Thank you very much.

Marcia
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

you think it sound like a the real thing? it doesn't. it sounds like a synth. But if you are satisfied with the sound....go ahead.
this one sounds better (listen to the overtones), but still sounds synthetic (thats why they cover it with other sounds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7A1PXx14s
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

You can load your Sitar VST instrument by means of festige, which you can install via synaptic once you add the KXstudio Team PPA to your software sources. Then, you can connect a keyboard (software keyboard like vmpk or hardware midi keyboard) to the virtual instrument, and its audio ports to the system (and/or to a jack-aware audio recorder).

Or you can try with qsynth. Load the soundfont file FluidR3_GM.sf2. Probably, you already have it installed in /usr/share/sounds/sf2/. If not, it is packaged and available from ubuntu's official repos. Yes, instrument number 104 is a sitar.

I hope this helps,

Cheers, Pablo
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, Capoeira, you found a better sitar sound. I agree that they are not as good as the real thing. I am not going to be getting and playing a real one anytime soon, so I will just play with the synth sitar emulations and pretend. :)

Thank you Pablo for your soundfont instructions. I will work on this, soon.

Thank you both very much for your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Marcia
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

come back more often :D
sachin
Established Member

Post by sachin »

If you want to you may run a VST called DSK Indian Dreams in LMMS
DOwnload it from link below
http://dskmusic.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Dear All,

Thank you all for your help. Thank you for the dreamz vst site. I just downloaded the package. I will look forward to using it. Looks like an interesting vst site.

I finally put together vmpk , jackctl, qsynth with the sitar soundfont and for about 5 minutes I was able to get some acceptable sitar sound then I had no sound with vmpk. I tried again after a reboot since my system ended up freezing.I have not been able to get it to work since. It appears that qsynth is the culprit and freezes after a few minutes of use. I have used the quickscan perl script and got my system totally tuned, so everything should be optimal.

I opened up yoshimi and jack without qysnth and it works fine.

If anyone has any solutions I will appreciate it greatly.

Thank you,

Marcia
sachin
Established Member

Post by sachin »

check setup of Qsynth
In the 'audio' tab set "audio driver" to jack then it works fine

Before you start any application that runs with jack audio driver
start qjackctl first.
aicram
Established Member

Post by aicram »

Thanks again. Now my qsynth works great with my humble radio shack midi keyboard. I have updated many packages and maybe that was what did the trick.

Now I am working on getting aeolus to work. Actually getting help from the aeolus site.

Everything else I have tried seems to work well. I forgot about lmms. It works but has an annoying error message pop up: could not write file recover.mmp.You probably are not permitted to write to the file.Please make sure you have write access to the file and try again. I made sure everything has write access and no change. I am actually working with lmms irc channel but no resolution yet.

I am sure everything will be working well soon.

Thanks for the help and great site here.

Marcia
sachin
Established Member

Post by sachin »

I forgot about lmms. It works but has an annoying error message pop up: could not write file recover.mmp.You probably are not permitted to write to the file.Please make sure you have write access to the file and try again.
This used to happen with me when I opened my projects directly rather than starting LMMS first
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

aicram wrote:Dear All,

Thank you all for your help. Thank you for the dreamz vst site. I just downloaded the package. I will look forward to using it. Looks like an interesting vst site.

I finally put together vmpk , jackctl, qsynth with the sitar soundfont and for about 5 minutes I was able to get some acceptable sitar sound then I had no sound with vmpk. I tried again after a reboot since my system ended up freezing.I have not been able to get it to work since. It appears that qsynth is the culprit and freezes after a few minutes of use. I have used the quickscan perl script and got my system totally tuned, so everything should be optimal.

I opened up yoshimi and jack without qysnth and it works fine.

If anyone has any solutions I will appreciate it greatly.

Thank you,

Marcia
Reaper

http://www.reaper.fm

works better with linux/wine/wineasio than anything else, for hosting vst plugins, like Syntar or
dsk plugins. Some dsk instruments are made with synthmaker, so possibly not every one will work.
Other authors with synthmaker plugins share the same results. OK in windows, not so much in wine.

A good soundfont player for use in Reaper, is SaFfron, by Fretted Synth, comes with excellent fx/interface.
Found here in a download link:

http://www.soundzone.info/content/free-soundfont-player

Lots of youtube videos about using reaper, and they have a helpful forum.
fourfour
Established Member

Post by fourfour »

LinuxSampler can do it, but you must also find a sitar sample bank. If you can't buy one in gig format, you can also do bank format conversions.