BFD3 losing authorization in reboot

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

BFD3 losing authorization in reboot

Post by tavasti »

I got BFD3 from knobcloud, and indeed it is great drum plugin. But downside, every time I reboot my computer, it says 'you are not logged in to your account, run BFD license manager'. And running that manager and login, it says need to authorize all content. And there is like 3 authorizations, then it says 'too many', and need to contact support, and they reset auth count, but it takes few days. And don't know will they stop doing that if this happens very often...

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

GMaq
Established Member

Re: BFD3 losing authorization in reboot

Post by GMaq »

Unfortunately is seems a growing number of Windows Plugins licensing mechanisms don't work with Wine even when the Plugins themselves do, in my own experiments Ozone Plugins don't keep their registration and neither does Boz Digital's Sasquatch Kick Machine 2.. We basically put ourselves in a bad spot for support and the Plugin company has no obligation to support their stuff for out-of-platform use.. Between iLok, subscriptions and all the other BS I've basically put a complete stop to new Windows Plugins, luckily at least some top-grade stuff like Fabfilter doesn't have these stupid licensing schemes, but most of them do..

tavasti
Established Member

Re: BFD3 losing authorization in reboot

Post by tavasti »

GMaq wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:21 pm

Unfortunately is seems a growing number of Windows Plugins licensing mechanisms don't work with Wine even when the Plugins themselves do,

Here it kind of works, but trouble is that it is needing renew too often, and running out of registrations. 'Something' changes in wine when rebooting my computer, and there might be some fox for it, but don't know what to start looking for.

With this particular plugin there is one problem using it with audiogridder from windows: audiogridder does not have working drag'n'drop, so dragging drum patterns from plugin to DAW does not work with it. It would be possible to to drag patterns to network disk in windows, and then drag them from disk to DAW in linux. Bit annoying work flow, but reality, would need to do only dozen or so such operations for one song, so not impossible. But need to run also that windows, boot that box every time before opening project.

GMaq wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:21 pm

We basically put ourselves in a bad spot for support and the Plugin company has no obligation to support their stuff for out-of-platform use.. Between iLok, subscriptions and all the other BS I've basically put a complete stop to new Windows Plugins, luckily at least some top-grade stuff like Fabfilter doesn't have these stupid licensing schemes, but most of them do..

Yeah, trying to avoid such plugins, but this particular one was intriguing for me. But will see if I end up abandoning (or selling away) it still with all the hoops that I need to jump with it.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM