Focusrite Scarlett Gen 4 mixer driver

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

palchomidas
Established Member

Re: Focusrite Scarlett Gen 4 mixer driver

Post by palchomidas »

Now I have done the required press down the 48V turn on and off interface stunt.

Now in alsamixer "this sound device does not have any controls".

Last time in the 3rd gen I fixed that by changing a config file, following an UNFA video.

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

palchomidas wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:40 am

Now I have done the required press down the 48V turn on and off interface stunt.

Now in alsamixer "this sound device does not have any controls".

Last time in the 3rd gen I fixed that by changing a config file, following an UNFA video.

Hi @palchomidas,

You don't need alsamixer or the 48V button press thing anymore, but for the controls to appear anywhere you will need to do a firmware upgrade.

Recommended: install alsa-scarlett-gui and scarlett2-firmware then run alsa-scarlett-gui to do the firmware update. Then all the controls will be available.

Regards,
Geoffrey.

palchomidas
Established Member

Post by palchomidas »

So far I have replaced the Linux kernel module. I do not know to what end that changed anything. I followed the readme.md instructions.

I always run my focusrite from the physical buttons because it's next to my computer. I'm not someone who has it in a different room. Might still be nice to have a gui though.

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

palchomidas wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:59 pm

So far I have replaced the Linux kernel module. I do not know to what end that changed anything.

Loading the kernel module by itself does nothing, it just adds the ALSA controls which the GUI uses, and the ability to do firmware updates (which is required to get the controls). If you don't want the controls or the GUI, you don't need the kernel module because the interface is USB audio class compliant. There is more info on this at the alsa-scarlett-gui FAQ.

The GUI has some nice features for the 4th Gen Solo though (unlike the 3th Gen Solo, which didn't have custom mix/routing features). See the 4th Gen info here.