Adding a drop to my 90s dance mix on piano

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

squidKid-deluxe
Established Member

Adding a drop to my 90s dance mix on piano

Post by squidKid-deluxe »

I have a 5+ minute 90s dance mix that I will be playing live next weekend. However, I feel it lacks pizazz. The songs and the mix are not bad, but I think it needs a crescendo or drop of some sort. Unfortunately, at the moment my skillset consists of playing and mixing cover songs and arpeggios. I would like to learn some general tips on adding a drop to a given song, as well as some examples to build off of. Because I will be playing live on my piano, not in a produced song, I would prefer piano-only solutions.

I have been advised in the past that a drop is

SpotlightKid wrote:

... where you slow down and take out instruments and then build up again by adding more instruments again every bar or two, getting louder and/or faster until you hit the first beat of the last bar of the drop, then stop. And then play the chorus / main motive again on the next bar.

But I am having trouble implementing anything like that with the dueling constraints of piano only and my limited knowledge in the field.

If you are interested, the mix is here, and the midi here.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Adding a drop to my 90s dance mix on piano

Post by Impostor »

I'd put some more variation into the 8th bass notes. Not so much in tone, but in timing. And yeah, some variation in tempo would also be welcome.

squidKid-deluxe
Established Member

Post by squidKid-deluxe »

So like a more syncopated alternating rhythm or not alternating at all but something else?

I do vary the tempo between roughly 120-140 when I play it, but that's a bit difficult to record to midi, so this is metronomed to 135.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

squidKid-deluxe wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 1:33 pm

So like a more syncopated alternating rhythm or not alternating at all but something else?

I'm just reporting in my capacity as listener: it's too monotonous as it is, imo. If, or how, it could be changed is up to you. You'll be the one to play it, after all! I'm not a musician (see username) so can't give you any advice on that.

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

I personally wouldn't go from Faithless to Haddaway, at 53" there is a weird transition that doesn't go fluent.
I would go from Faithless to Alice Deejay (better off alone), as these are songs that built up to highlights where you can add a drop more easily.
A drop can be put in Eiffel 65's song too, but then it should really boom after the drop, with a beefed up beat.
Bear and in mind that you have to be dressed in Blue when performing!

Btw, I love the songs you've chosen. :)