A Linux or FLOSS music label ?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bulevardi
Established Member

A Linux or FLOSS music label ?

Post by bulevardi »

I was wondering if it already exists, a label specifically for LinuxMusicians?

Could it be a good idea? Why or why not?
What would the criteria be?
Would this be an advantage?

I have no experience in the business, not on a label yet, but maybe there are people around here with cool ideas about this matter?

Imagine CD's or Vinyl on worldwide sale with various artists from this forum?

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
sunrat
Established Member

Re: A Linux or FLOSS music label ?

Post by sunrat »

Good intentions but you're dreaming. Linux is just a tool like many others for making music. You don't have labels for Fender Guitars, Nord synths, Focusrite, Neumann etc.
Music is about good songwriting, performance, production etc., not so much the tools used to make it.

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

sunrat wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:39 pm

Good intentions but you're dreaming. Linux is just a tool like many others for making music. You don't have labels for Fender Guitars, Nord synths, Focusrite, Neumann etc.
Music is about good songwriting, performance, production etc., not so much the tools used to make it.

The fact that it's a tool or brand doesn't matter to me.

A lot of other labels, small or big, exist without tool ...
It's just grouping people together from the same "community", interest or mindset.

There are a lot of labels that have seen the light by grouping together a couple of bands from the same genre, or mindset, or way of working, ...

Get In Touch^^
2ndattn
Established Member

Post by 2ndattn »

Maybe a playlist make more sense.
Someone on here had created one a while back but I am not sure if it is still maintained.

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

2ndattn wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:59 pm

Maybe a playlist make more sense.
Someone on here had created one a while back but I am not sure if it is still maintained.

Yes, I once made such a playlist, but I haven't maintained it further after a while.
There was only a handful of people who were enthousiast about it, and then afterwards it seemed no one played the list.
Perhaps I should update it again, and it's on multiple platforms (SoundCloud, Spotify,... didn't start with YouTube yet).

viewtopic.php?t=21737

Get In Touch^^
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

I wonder if an LM-centered FunkWhale pod would be the right fit here?

https://www.funkwhale.audio/

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

bulevardi wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:45 am

It's just grouping people together from the same "community", interest or mindset.

There are a lot of labels that have seen the light by grouping together a couple of bands from the same genre, or mindset, or way of working, ...
Yes, I once made such a playlist, but I haven't maintained it further after a while.
There was only a handful of people who were enthousiast about it, and then afterwards it seemed no one played the list.

That common intrest to use Linux does not result anything related in music. And that results people not listening such playlist, and IMHO also makes idea of label not working. It is pretty much like having label for people living in places where 3rd letter is E.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

tseaver wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 3:23 am

I wonder if an LM-centered FunkWhale pod would be the right fit here?

https://www.funkwhale.audio/

Looks like a cool idea indeed.
But then you need to run a server to be able to host that pod, if I'm right?

Get In Touch^^
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

tavasti wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:39 am

That common intrest to use Linux does not result anything related in music. And that results people not listening such playlist, and IMHO also makes idea of label not working. It is pretty much like having label for people living in places where 3rd letter is E.

If it would be on a non-music related forum, I would agree.
But here on LinuxMusicians, chances are high that it's music related.

I understand what you mean that everyone has a total different genre, perhaps not fitting together in one common group. And I also understand that listeners on e.g. Spotify use their search button for things like "80"s music", "grunge", "ambient chill pop", .... and not to search for "Linux".
However, people mostly don't search in Spotify to hear artists from specific record labels in Spotify: "Geffen Records", "PIAS", ... Those record labels don't exist to be searched for, but they exist for other purposes like creating more publicity for their bands or genres. To grow an audience around it. They try to get attention to the bands via the marketing of their label. And so, a label can be nice to get so much undervalued artists on this board in the spotlights.

Within my friendzone, the existence of Linux is totally unknown. Let alone that people know that music can be made with FLOSS. For me the purpose is to spread the word, broaden the idea to more people, so they know they have possibilities too to create music, without having to use proprietary software. It can open eyes to more people or nudge other artists or the industry.

If there are a couple of musicians on this board with a larger audience of fans, or getting a bit more famous, the fans will read about the label they're on and see: "Hmm Linux, what's that? Interesting...", etc... it works in both directions.
I stumbled upon much new music just by taking a look to what niche-label a band is, and then discover what other bands are with that label. Bands that I otherwise wouldn't have discovered.

Get In Touch^^
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I'm not a big consumer of music. I've never wondered about the label, producer, studio, engineer, or even band members identity, beyond an album title.
No interest, and no spare time. Conversely, the great Rick Beato seems to have encyclopedic knowledge of such details, and their relevance in the industry, of which he is a part. I suspect my state of being oblivious to the details of the music I choose to listen to, is pretty common. To the extent that is accurate, the gear and computer systems used to create music are far removed from the daily thoughts wafting between the ears of those happily enjoying their favorite songs. And linux is far removed from the mac/win users that are commercially successful, as are hobbyists with money to spend.

I try to convince people that being a musician is rewarding and healthy, and that their skills with phones and office equipment have given them an ability to master the small western scale. When I ask them how many buttons/keys and combos are part of their job, and they compare their number to the 12 note scale, a few of them do admit they may have potential. :wink:

I think that the fundamental freedom in the linux collective, leads to so much division, that there is not enough forward inertia to make an impact in the commercial world of computers and music. We have a handful of major players who by their very nature, recreate the wheel, without agreeing on how round, wide, or tall it should be, with dozens of distros sorting through hundreds/thousands of softwares trying to fit ever-changing tires on ever-changing wheels...meanwhile apple and microsoft drill ever deeper into data hoarding and privacy invasions... :shock: Being generous, friendly, and smart, in the face of adversity and apathy, may be the best label we can come up with.
Mi dos centavos