FocusRite software

Discuss running non-Linux applications and plugins on Linux, for example via wine

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Will Faculty
Established Member

FocusRite software

Post by Will Faculty »

FocusRite likes to control their audio interfaces with software.

I managed just fine without it for my initial Scarlet Solo. With it, I found that ALSA was sufficient for my Pop_OS to interface with it. The Solo, after all, was a minimal preamp with a minimum of i/o, electronic hardware not to be controlled by nor attempting to control the OS, just requiring its signal to be accepted from the USB port and correctly interpreted as audio.

Now I wish to increase the numbers of inputs and outputs of my audio interface and implement send-and-receives, loopbacks, inserts, too (I don't yet know what to properly term them, I'm very new in audio engineering). I'm considering FocusRite's Claret. Its software is much more intrusive, shall I say? Do you have some familiarity with this audio interface and its software? Can I run it under Linux -- without its software -- as I did my rather more simple Solo Gen 2?

I'll add that FocusRite supports Windows and Mac and not Linux, as do the great majority of manufacturers in audio. I called them and they told me so, of course, but that was all they wished to say to me. The people I spoke with could or would say nothing at all about Linux other than they don't support it, nothing more at all, to my frustration. Needless to say, they would not provide or even entertain licensing to me the hardware specs necessary to write a driver with which to control their device. TIA

jmhardin
Established Member

Re: FocusRite software

Post by jmhardin »

I'm running Scarlett Solo 3rd Generation out of the box on SolydK Linux (KDE Plasma 5 on Debian Bookworm) without major problems. @geoffrey has created Linux drivers for 4th generation Scarlett devices, and it seems to work beautifully for fans of the penguin OS(es).

Will Faculty
Established Member

Post by Will Faculty »

Thanks very much for the link. Maybe he has something for the Claret. Almost certainly he'll be able to guide me further.

geoffrey
Established Member

Post by geoffrey »

Will Faculty wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:39 am

Thanks very much for the link. Maybe he has something for the Claret. Almost certainly he'll be able to guide me further.

Hi @Will Faculty,

Everything you should want is already available under Linux. Please see https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa-scarlett-gui/ — many people prefer it over the official software.

Although Focusrite do not directly support Linux for end-users, that doesn't stop their interfaces from working fine under Linux, and they have recently sent me hardware so that I can add Linux support. The audio part of all their USB interfaces is class-compliant, and I have reverse engineered the proprietary bits for all models after the Scarlett 1st Gen. Clarett support (all models) is in the Linux kernel since 6.7.

Please check out my software, read through the documentation, and let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Geoffrey.

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

Clarett 8 USB runs absolutely fine, and i really prefer the mixer/routing/configuration software over that for MS, thanks to @geoffrey

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.