Q 3 of ∞ (Focusrite 2i2 1st Generation)

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Funkybassman
Established Member

Q 3 of ∞ (Focusrite 2i2 1st Generation)

Post by Funkybassman »

I've been following a few tutorials about setting up audio interfaces and when trying to enable new functionality at load time the instructions only go as far back as 2i2 2nd Gen

As i'm using a 1st gen 2i2 am I stuck here ??

tseaver
Established Member

Re: Q 3 of ∞ (Focusrite 2i2 1st Generation)

Post by tseaver »

@Funkybassman

The Scarlett 2i2 gen 1 interface is well-supported: it doesn't have any features which are not exposed to the ALSA driver on any halfway recent Linux kernel. I run mine with a 10+ year old laptop (my "field recording" setup), running AVLinux 21.3 or Debian Bookworm: both handle record and playback in Ardour perfectly.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Funkybassman
Established Member

Post by Funkybassman »

Wow thanks that's excellent news.

Any Ideas How i can get it installed on AV linux ?

'MX Select Sound' does not see it by default

Holding in the 'Phantom Power' button whilst powering up the device takes the 2i2 out of MSD mode and then AV Linux shows the interface in 'MX Select Sound' ...

However once the interface is selected as the default sound card a sound test is still sending audio to the laptop speakers ?

This is also happening with audio from Ardour

Have I missed a step here.

Can you recall what you had to do to get yours to work

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Funkybassman wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 9:11 am

I've been following a few tutorials about setting up audio interfaces and when trying to enable new functionality at load time the instructions only go as far back as 2i2 2nd Gen

No. The 1st Gen 2i2 runs fine even on older kernels. But there are no features like a mixer or an "air" setting that can be controlled by software. It's simple, good interface.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Funkybassman

However once the interface is selected as the default sound card a sound test is still sending audio to the laptop speakers ?

This is also happening with audio from Ardour

Have I missed a step here.

Can you recall what you had to do to get yours to work

I'm not sure how you did your "sound test": the "MX Sound Select" option is mostly about "desktop" audio ("PulseAudio"), used for playing local media, audio from your browser, etc. There is an "audio mixer" option behind the speaker icon in my AVL 21.3 setup that lets you see which apps are playing back or recording through the different interfaces.

When you start Ardour, what audio backend engine is selected?

The simplest option is to choose "ALSA" and then select your Scarlett interface.

If you plan to share the Scarlett (e.g., to allow playing videos through it while also running Ardour), you need to choose "JACK" (I'm assuming you are running the newer AVL 23.1, where the JACK protocol is actually pipewire). If Ardour thinks JACK is already running (which should be tru in the pipewire case), it just allows you to connect to the JACK server, rather than select an interface and start JACK.

Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz