resampling from 441 to 48k

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

resampling from 441 to 48k

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey anyone got a quick command for resampling from 441 to 48k? I've got a folder full and Mixbus is taking a lifetime converting.

sunrat
Established Member

Re: resampling from 441 to 48k

Post by sunrat »

First make a new directory for the resampled files

Code: Select all

mkdir 48k

Then:

for file in *.wav; do sox -SG "$file" -r 48000 48k/"$file".wav ; done

You need sox installed, of course.

That said, Mixbus shouldn't be slow resampling files.

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sunrat wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:52 pm

First make a new directory for the resampled files

mkdir 48k

Then:

for file in *.wav; do sox -SG "$file" -r 48000 48k/"$file".wav ; done

You need sox installed, of course.

That said, Mixbus shouldn't be slow resampling files.

Thank you. Been trying to find the sox command but all this complicated BS full of scripts and all different things. I just wanted a simple command and I spent hours looking for it.

I've got sox install but it's been years since I last used it so I was given a batch of tracks that were all in the need of resampling so I said oh yeah I remember the last time I did that I just looked up the command. Well I'm getting scripts I'm getting basically things that is showing me how to recreate another planet that looks like Earth it felt like. I will give what you mentioned to me a shot tomorrow. I'll keep you posted and thank you again!.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A re-sampling article: https://kevinboone.me/sample48.html

Vintage may 2022, but an interesting read for me, as I'm like Sergeant Schulz in such thing, and a little knowledge
increases my capacity to scare the neighbor's cat :wink:

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:04 am

Vintage may 2022, but an interesting read for me, as I'm like Sergeant Schulz in such thing, and a little knowledge

Dude, you're showing that we are old dudes with the Sergeant Schultz!!
I know nothing, I see nothing! Classic and thanks for the information! :D

Now I'm going to have to go to a third party APK that streams classic TV shows. Now I'm feeling a little bit nostalgic! Thanks!

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:04 am

Very interesting article.

In conclusion: it's probably worth avoiding the resampling of 44.1 to 48 kHz audio if it's practical. Although this conversion can be done in such a way as to produce no audible errors, it's hard to be sure it actually is... Nevertheless, you're unlikely to hear the results of sub-optimal resampling, unless you're listening very carefully, using top-quality equipment; and even then it won't be very evident.

So you shouldn't, but it doesn't really matter. :mrgreen:
I very rarely do 44.1 > 48kHz resampling. Regularly 96 to 48kHz but then every second 96k sample lines up exactly to a 48k sample, although I'm not sure whether SoX just drops every second sample or does some magic interpolation.
When recording I almost always use 48kHz, work with that through mixing, and usually export at 48kHz. Most players will play 48kHz files and the only reason I could imagine 44.1kHz being useful is for CDs.
There's an interesting comparator at http://src.infinitewave.ca/ where you can select and compare many sample rate converters (although only 96kHz to 44.1kHz). SoX VHQ shows as free of artifacts and is one of the best. Compare it to something like Ocenaudio resampler which is frighteningly awful.