Rebuilding an Ubuntu Studio system

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Fedora
Established Member

Rebuilding an Ubuntu Studio system

Post by Fedora »

I want to rebuild a system (using current applications) that I had running 2 years ago. The original was built on Ubuntu Studio with the KXstudio repositories.I could continue using Ubuntu Studio but want to explore using Fedora Jam if possible because all my other random boxes are running Fedora. An added bonus would be that using Fedora Jam should allow this box to use my "dnf_local" cache for updates.

SOFTWARE USED

• Ubuntu Studio - low latency kernel

• Claudia - manage the "studio" & applications, start/stop everything

• QJackControl - patchbay JACK etc.

• Calf Jack Host - Vocal Effects (8-band EQ to Compressor to Reverb)

• Jack MIxer - mix voice and music

• VLC - play audio/video files (Karaoke tracks)

• B.U.T.T. - send audio stream to server for distribution

Other Non-Audio apps used

• Dolphin File Manager - several tabs for folders of media files and song lyrics - drag/dropped into VLC playlist

• Kate text editor - display song lyrics if the media file didn't include them

• GKrellM - system monitoring

HARDWARE

• Dell Optiplex 3020 (CPU: i5-4590, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD + 500GB HDD, NVIDIA GFX card maybe a GT218?) If the Dell isn't up to the task anymore, I'll dig up something better, but it worked well for this purpose 2 years ago.

• Shure SM58 microphone

• Generic wired earbuds

The system was used for what I call "Virtual Karaoke." :-D (Some of you might be familiar with "Second Life," I was a performer there for several years, but stopped 2 years ago) The mic is plugged into the Mic jack and voice is routed through Calf Effects The media tracks are played with VLC, then Jack Mixer mixes voice and music and sends to the earbuds and B.U.T.T.which then sends the audio stream to an audio stream server (and saves a copy of the stream locally.)

My main question is…. which applications should I check out as replacements for any of the above that are no longer actively supported? E.g., I think Jack Mixer wasn't in the Ubuntu repo. I vaguely recall that something important was deprecated, I think that was LADISH, but I could be wrong.

A bonus question is…. Which application could I use to add a video stream to the above setup? I would need the video and audio to be synced for the video stream even if it's not synced with the audio-only stream. I somewhat doubt that the current hardware could handle the addition of video, but I want to at least give it a try if possible.

Thanks for any/all suggestions!! :D :D :D

Attachments
Main Desktop
Main Desktop
Desktop 1a.png (158.53 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
2nd Desktop
2nd Desktop
Desktop 2a.png (243.16 KiB) Viewed 1285 times
Kott
Established Member

Re: Rebuilding an Ubuntu Studio system

Post by Kott »

@ycollette is a maintainer of https://audinux.github.io/
I think he can help you here.

ycollette
Established Member

Post by ycollette »

Yes, you can try to enable the audinux repository:

$ dnf copr enable ycollet/audinux

On Fedora ladish has been removed (I will check again). But now, there are some interesting new things to manage jack session like "ray session" which can records launched applications and connections.
I will try to check wednesday or thursday for equivalent application for the list you gave.

Fedora
Established Member

Post by Fedora »

Awesome, thank you! I'll whip up a Fedora Jam installation, add the Audinix repo, and start tinkering. :D

Fedora
Established Member

Post by Fedora »

OK, this is embarrassing. I actually tinkered with this about 6-8 months ago and totally forgot about it. LOL [facepalm]

These applications seem to be still available, but I'm open to suggestions for better alternatives...

• QJackControl

• Calf Jack Host

• Jack MIxer

• VLC

• B.U.T.T.

I need to come up with a replacement for Claudia and I've found 2 options:

• RaySession

• Agordejo

I played with Agordejo a bit because the drama surrounding Raysession and NSM made me think that Raysession might not be around for long. But since it's still here, I'll check into it more.

Now my questions now are...
1) Should I use the RT kernel? The current Fedora kernel is v6.8.5 but the RT kernel is 6.6.25, or 5.10.21 for stable.
2) Might it be possible to add video to this setup? If the hardware can't handle it, I'll upgrade the hardware.

Fedora
Established Member

Post by Fedora »

Sooooo.... updates:

I upgraded the hardware a bit. I bought the best CPU that fits in my old Gigabyte motherboard (GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK)

• i7-4790K @ 4.0 GHz (Passmark score is 8068, compared to 4698 for the previous CPU, also has 8 threads vs. the previous 4)

• 32GB RAM

• Currently on a 250GB SSD, but will be cloning that to an NVME drive (MB only supports "Gen3 x2"? or basically 750GB/s vs. 450GB/s for the SSD)

• GTX 960 (also have a GTX 980 if needed but that's doubtful)

• will be adding a Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 CPU Cooler and shove it all into a be quiet Pure Base 600 case in the next week (happy birthday to me!)

I tinkered with Fedora 39 & 40 and was having some random issues that I don't remember at the moment. The main issue I can recall was that in RaySession, the JACK display window wasn't working. It wasn't a huge deal and I may try Fedora 40 again later once it's been updated a bit.

I ended up setting up Ubuntu Studio 24.04 and nearly everything seems to be working. The only issue at this point is that I can't get the audio mixer settings to save between reboots. I'm making changes with Alsamixer, but they're over-written after booting. I thought I had black-listed Pipewire, but maybe something else is changing the settings? Suggestions on where to look?

Thanks 'n stuff!

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Fedora wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:53 am

[...] The only issue at this point is that I can't get the audio mixer settings to save between reboots. I'm making changes with Alsamixer, but they're over-written after booting.[...]

Code: Select all

sudo alsactl store
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Fedora wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:20 am

These applications seem to be still available, but I'm open to suggestions for better alternatives...

• Jack MIxer

I recommend non-mixer-xt as a replacement for jack-mixer. It can load all kinds of plugins.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Fedora
Established Member

Post by Fedora »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:04 am

sudo alsactl store

Yep, I've tried that. The changes are saving but get over-written when I reboot.

Fedora
Established Member

Post by Fedora »

bluebell wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:36 pm

I recommend non-mixer-xt as a replacement for jack-mixer. It can load all kinds of plugins.

I'm not having any issues with Jack-mixer (that I know of) and I'm not using any plugins. But I'll check out non-mixer-xt when I get a chance. Thanks!

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Fedora wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:37 pm
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:04 am

sudo alsactl store

Yep, I've tried that. The changes are saving but get over-written when I reboot.

In every distro you can run commands on start. Try to auto-start (may be difficult because of the 'sudo')

sudo alsactl restore

Maybe via the file /etc/rc.local. Good luck!

Fedora
Established Member

Post by Fedora »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:09 pm

In every distro you can run commands on start. Try to auto-start (may be difficult because of the 'sudo')

sudo alsactl restore

I may end up resorting to a method like that. But it seems like "work-arounds" shouldn't be necessary for something like this. I feel like I would be better off learning what is over-writing the settings and then controlling that process.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Fedora wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:45 am
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:09 pm

sudo alsactl restore

I may end up resorting to a method like that. But it seems like "work-arounds" shouldn't be necessary for something like this. I feel like I would be better off learning what is over-writing the settings and then controlling that process.

I agree. It's a workaround to what I consider to be a quirk of Alsa. How it works for you. :)

Fedora
Established Member

Post by Fedora »

I MAY have finally found a method that will work. "RaySession," has the ability to run user-editable scripts. There is 1 script each for when the session is loaded, saved, or closed.
Added in load.sh – alsactl restore -f /home/fedora/Audio_Settings/asound.state
Added in close.sh – alsactl store -f /home/fedora/Audio_Settings/asound.state

Saving to a file in my home directory avoids potential sudo issues if dealing with the file in /var/lib/alsa. The file is only named "asound.state" due to some previous attempts to copy/save the file. I may or may not change the file name some day.

So that's the last "major" audio-related issue. Now I just need to use this system for a while to make sure it's not still flaky in some way. :D And I might tinker with the RaySession scripts to make sure the applications are loading in my preferred order.

Speaking of RaySession... is anyone affiliated with RaySession active on this forum? I have one minor suggestion, and if I can get the JACK patchbay to work in RaySession on Fedora... I might go through all this madness again on Fedora. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions, and I hope this documentation of my journey is helpful to someone else!

Fedora
Established Member

Post by Fedora »

I've refined the RaySession script usage a bit and this seems to be working well so far. The procedure goes something like this:

First, save the mixer settings to files in my user directory so they can be used without needing sudo.
For the settings when the system is booted:

$alsactl store -f /home/fedora/Audio_Settings/asound.state.default

Start a session, tweak levels and save a separate file:

$alsactl store -f /home/fedora/Audio_Settings/asound.state.raysession

When the RaySession session is loaded - save default mixer settings and load preferred settings for the session
Added in load.sh –

$alsactl store -f /home/fedora/Audio_Settings/asound.state.default  (this might not be necessary)
$alsactl restore -f /home/fedora/Audio_Settings/asound.state.raysession

When RaySession is closed -- store the session mixer settings then load the default settings again.
Added in close.sh –

$alsactl store -f /home/fedora/Audio_Settings/asound.state.raysession  (before the session is closed, i.e. at the top of the file)
$alsactl restore -f /home/fedora/Audio_Settings/asound.state.default  (after the session is closed, i.e. at the bottom of the file)

This is pretty basic stuff for anyone active on this site. I include it here in case someone might find it via google, etc. and find it useful. :D