Re: Poor Usability - Why virtual Potentiometers (knobs) in Computer Audio Software, why?

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

Re: Poor Usability - Why virtual Potentiometers (knobs) in Computer Audio Software, why?

Post by tramp »

Revan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:50 am

The rotary knob is difficult to adjust with the mouse, it's unnatural and it doesn't show exact values like numbers do. That's why a rotary knob is not a good control for a GUI. It is bad GUI design.

I disagree here.

The rotary knob is difficult to adjust with the mouse

I usually use the mouse wheel to control the values, that feel natural and works great. I don't mind if it is a slider, a value display or a konb, they all work the same. Only for larger changes I may use the click and drag option.

it's unnatural and it doesn't show exact values like numbers do

Usually knobs shows the values as well, just only some times values may be meaningless, then, a developer may tend to don't show them.

On the road again.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

In a good gui, the spacing, size, and contrast are more important than the choices of knobs vs sliders etc. Guitarix isn't 'crowded', and the visuals are easy on the eyes. The commercial Amplitube 5, is an example of a decent engine wedged into a 1982 Fiat sedan. Most of their gui is worse than it was 5 years ago :roll: ...while guitarix gui gets better.
Cheers