FFADO Mixer not Loading RME FIREFACE 800 INFO on Linux Mint 21.3

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

basstrombone
Established Member

FFADO Mixer not Loading RME FIREFACE 800 INFO on Linux Mint 21.3

Post by basstrombone »

Hi there,

I was using Linux Mint 21.3 but its repos contain an FFADO Mixer version (2.4.5) and every time I try to OPEN FFADO Mixer I get this message the following message:
"Bus reconfiguration in process, please wait…" and the Mixer never loads the RME parameters.

Without the FFADO mixer, I can't switch the phantom power and select one set of ADATS or all of them.
Here comes the question:

Has someone had this experience before ? Could this be fixed ? Or is it a bug ?

I tried other distros such as Ubuntu Studio 23.10 and the FFADO version is 2.4.7, it worked just fine

Is it possible to install the newer FFADO mixer version on LM 21.3 ? If yes please let me know ok? any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Alexandre

asbak
Established Member

Re: FFADO Mixer not Loading RME FIREFACE 800 INFO on Linux Mint 21.3

Post by asbak »

I haven't got a FF800 to test it but sure, there could be a bug with that older version of FFADO that affects the FF800.
You could also test it with a different firewire interface to confirm that the mixer loads for it (to prove whether it's only the FF800 that is affected)

Yes it's possible to install a newer version of FFADO. Uninstall the current one, then get the tarballs from their website and compile them and install them.

Alternatively you could take a chance and download the FFADO debian packages from the Ubuntu studio PC (or from an Ubuntu repo) and install them manually on LM 21.3.

You will also need to block further FFADO updates so the OS doesn't try to install the original distro version during system updates.

It's obviously not good advice and practice to install packages intended for other OS versions but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It may or may not work or break something so obviously perform actions at your own risk.

This was a "for your information only" kind of post if you are willing to take some risks and use up a lot of time, not instructions telling you that you have to go do something. (Before the usual armchair critics start attacking again)

basstrombone
Established Member

Re: FFADO Mixer not Loading RME FIREFACE 800 INFO on Linux Mint 21.3

Post by basstrombone »

asbak wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:31 pm

I haven't got a FF800 to test it but sure, there could be a bug with that older version of FFADO that affects the FF800.
You could also test it with a different firewire interface to confirm that the mixer loads for it (to prove whether it's only the FF800 that is affected)

Yes it's possible to install a newer version of FFADO. Uninstall the current one, then get the tarballs from their website and compile them and install them.

Alternatively, you could take a chance and download the FFADO debian packages from the Ubuntu studio PC (or from an Ubuntu repo) and install them manually on LM 21.3.

Ok thanks for the help. Yes, I tried a Focusrite Pro 40 and it worked. Aparanteley it is affecting only the FF800.

Alternatively, you could take a chance and download the FFADO debian packages from the Ubuntu studio PC (or from an Ubuntu repo) and install them manually on LM 21.3.
You will also need to block further FFADO updates so the OS doesn't try to install the original distro version during system updates.
It's obviously not good advice and practice to install packages intended for other OS versions but sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It may or may not work or break something so obviously perform actions at your own risk.

Will do, and I agree, but I tried to get in touch and asked for help and got no assistance. They busy, I understand. I normally use and "testing machine" for these experimentations. If works fine

This was a "for your information only" kind of post if you are willing to take some risks and use up a lot of time, not instructions telling you that you have to go do something. (Before the usual armchair critics start attacking again)

Gotcha and thanks

I will keep everyone posted

Alexandre