Linux ISOs downloaded. What's next?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kott
Established Member

Re: Linux ISOs downloaded. What's next?

Post by Kott »

Tippe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:59 pm

Sadly OpenSuse Tumbleweed seems not to be able to run in Live mode.

did you try "Live" image?

Attachments
Screenshot_20240330_165404.jpg
Screenshot_20240330_165404.jpg (143.47 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Tippe
Established Member

Post by Tippe »

@Kott
No, I didn't. I did not see that there's different version for Live and Install.

However, my current OS is from 2018, based on Ubuntu Bionic beaver 18.04.

I wasn't aware that Linux developers are able to completely develop
GNU/Linux into train wrecks within a few years only! :lol:

That's the ISO files I downloaded and tested during the past two days:

AVL_MXE-23.1-20240120_x64.iso
Fedora-Jam_KDE-Live-x86_64-39-1.5.iso
librazik3-20201104-en-amd64.iso
librazik4-20240101-en-amd64.iso
openSUSE-Leap-15.5-DVD-x86_64-Build491.1-Media.iso
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20240329-Media.iso
ubuntustudio-22.04.4-dvd-amd64.iso

AVL MXE

As I mentioned AVL MXE could not find/enable the computer's wlan. I tried it again trying to follow "advice" of @GMaq. However, there is NO WIFI README file on the desktop.

If the developer recommends to read a file WIFI README on the desktop, then there should be a file WIFI README on the desktop. Talking about a WIFI README file on the desktop when there's only a file connman is really annoying and frustrating. It makes the user feel stupid or at least thinking of being blind.

Only the file named connman (a PDF document) is existing. So I read it.

When entering the first SUDO command to restart connman service it returns a message that said:
Connman service not existing or damon not running. I don't know how to run this damon. I think such stuff should be executed automated at boot process. The same is happening after trying to run the installed version of AVL MXE.

A strict naming seems to be a problem everywhere and in general.
Some are e.g. talking of password when network code is used in documents.

Ubuntu Studio

Ubuntu Studio freezes very quickly already at first boot steps, so no chance to make further testings.

OpenSuse

Since I could not run OpenSuse in Live mode, I decided first to try them to install.
Installing OpenSuse is just not possible.
No matter, what options I choose. Installation could not be continued due to a message, that there is nothing mounted under /. I choose to format and mount the drive, I tried to use a pre-formatted drive. Makes no difference on the drive and on the version (Leap, Tumbleweed). So I gave up on OpenSuse.

Librazik

Since Librazik 4 booted fine in Live mode and connecting to the web was really easy after I found the list of surrounding wlan devices, I chose to try installing Librazik 4 first.

Install routine stopped when it comes to install the system / files.
The same happened when trying to install Librazik 3.
Trying to install from within the running live system crashes immediately.

Fedora Jam

Fedora Jam installed fine and I could also boot into the installed version.
But then it freezes when booting/running as user before the graphical desktop appeared.
Reboot and running as root gave me the graphical desktop and the system was usable.
But then it did not find any of my sound cards (onboard and hdmi - I can use both in my current OS).
But then, after starting QJackCtl I could listen to Music by Elise (?).
Using the volume slider in Elise doesn't change the volume.

Conclusion:

I wasted around 40 hours in a row and 29 GB of download traffic to have now 7 Train Wrecks on my small HD space.
When I started using GNU/Linux the most thing I heard, it would be good on older hardware and supports a wide variety of hardware.

This has changed?
They are now on the Windows path?

PC Manufacturer: LENOVO
Product Name: 90B60051GE

Motherboard Vendor: LENOVO
Product Name: SHARKBAY

BIOS Vendor: LENOVO
Version: IEKT26AUS
Release Date: 07/22/2014

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Min/Max Speed: 800/3400 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:3341 MHz, 1:3246 MHz, 2:3260 MHz, 3:3341 MHz
Core Count: 4
Thread Count: 4

Frequency governor : performance
Freq. scaling driver : intel_pstate

Perhaps I should try to find a newer base system that I used in 2018 to create my own GNU/Linux system.
But then, since they are all based on the same stuff I fear I will fail to create my own OS again in a newer version.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tippe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:56 pm

[..]

Just an idea, but, instead of distro-binging and giving up at the first sign of trouble, maybe just pick one to put your efforts into making it work?

Tippe
Established Member

Post by Tippe »

I have several different GNU/Linux systems running on several different computers.
But all of them are from 2016 to 2020.
All of them are running fine.
All of them worked out of the box.
All of them are heavily modified by myself.
Still they are running fine, even though my very specialized modifications.
They can't be found anywhere else. Only on my systems.

I'm not able:

• to make a system work, that refuses to install
  • to make a system work, that refuses to recognize my computer's wlan
  • to make a system work, that freezes immediately
  • to make a system work, that freezes in user mode before graphical desktop is ready
  • to make a system work, that is unable to mount any existing HD to install

So, thanks for the hint. :?

Where would you begin to start? :lol:

I want to continue making Music, just by another, newer OS, as I can't use newer versions of programs like e.g. Qtractor beyond 0.9.30. The newest Qt that I have is 5.9.5. My C compiler and cmake etc.pp. also is too old, to compile e.g. Qtractor for myself.

I'm not interested in developing GNU/Linux except for my own loved modifications.

So, what else to do besides giving up?

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Tippe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:39 pm

So, what else to do besides giving up?

Well, first of all, your pc is from 2014. I don't think that qualifies as "older hardware" necessitating any special customizations? Up until last year I used a pc built in that very same year 2014, and I ran the (then) latest Mint on it. Given that Ubuntu 18 worked, why not just try (plain) Ubuntu 22?

Anyway, good luck in your endeavours!

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

To clarify..

For 90% of people WifI on AVL-MXE is not a problem, for those rare cases it is an issue a single document is provided on the Desktop, since I was answering your post from a different machine without that exact file on the Desktop I referred to it as a "Wifi Readme" as a generalized term figuring that since there is only an installer Icon and a PDF file on the Desktop you would probably be able to deduce which is which.

I think since you are having problem with every Linux Distro you try maybe there are other places (ie a mirror) to look for what may be at least part of the problem. Every one of these projects are created with countless hours of volunteer time and the effort required simply to create a Live ISO that boots at all let alone boots with hundreds of details all in their proper place and supporting literally thousands of hardware combinations is not a trivial thing.

Maybe install Windows from an ISO and see how ready it is for Audio production... :wink:

Tippe
Established Member

Post by Tippe »

@GMaq

I can recall the amount of work done, when I was modifying my different Linux systems,
so, I know -or at least I can imagine- how much work it needs to create a complete Linux system.
I'm not intended to degrade all of this.

It's just disappointing trying that much without any success.
If I had a Song that goes that way, I would remove it immediately (after burning to CD). :lol: :wink:

I already thought about downloading e.g. Linux Mint and setting it up for my needs.

But I was recommended by another musician to try another OS that comes with real time kernel and shall be pretty setup for the use of doing Music. It's only around 750 MB in size, so perhaps I have to install some stuff.

I will return for a short info after testing. Currently downloading the ISO.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Tippe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:55 pm

@GMaq

I can recall the amount of work done, when I was modifying my different Linux systems,
so, I know -or at least I can imagine- how much work it needs to create a complete Linux system.
I'm not intended to degrade all of this.

It's just disappointing trying that much without any success.
If I had a Song that goes that way, I would remove it immediately (after burning to CD). :lol: :wink:

I already thought about downloading e.g. Linux Mint and setting it up for my needs.

But I was recommended by another musician to try another OS that comes with real time kernel and shall be pretty setup for the use of doing Music. It's only around 750 MB in size, so perhaps I have to install some stuff.

I will return for a short info after testing. Currently downloading the ISO.

I am working on an updated AV Linux ISO that addresses some User bug feedback from the most recent release, it should be out by next weekend. While I haven't done anything specifically geared to your particular internet connection situation if your internet worked with Librazik there is no reason we shouldn't be able to get it working on AV Linux since they are Debian-based brethren. If you can be patient with a bit of back and forth specifics I am willing to help get it working because I think you would see that once Qtractor is installed that it is probably the most comprehensive Audio Distro OOTB currently available without out taking anything away from the fine work of the other Distro providers.

Tippe
Established Member

Post by Tippe »

Ok, thanks.
I think it's worth some try...
Returning next weekend or a few days later...

The recommended OS I didn't even get to boot yet. :lol:
Kernel Panic. :?