Ubuntu Studio vs LinuxMint 21.3

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Skalman
Established Member

Ubuntu Studio vs LinuxMint 21.3

Post by Skalman »

Hi Folks.
I create-write music in classical style, from Barock to Mozart, polyphony mostly.
I use the MuseScore or similar edit-programs and the computer jut to be able to play the music and save the note-sheet.
Need an external USB sound-card to get the music out from the computer, only a headphone output.

But my question is-- do I get benefit from using the Ubuntu Studio or stay with the LinuxMint 21.3 ?
In my case I have no "lack" of latency and other things, not playing live and no connected instruments other then sampled synths.

What do you think about this? Thanks.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu Studio vs LinuxMint 21.3

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

My 2 cents: if it ain't broken don't try to fix it.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

Skalman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:56 am

What do you think about this? Thanks.

I think Ubuntu Studio is useless if you already have Mint installed and configured for audio work. Performance-wise there's no benefit in switching.

noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

Like others and yourself said, since you've already set up Linux Mint for audio and have no problems with it, you probably won't gain anything from switching.

Other things to consider:
Ubuntu Studio uses KDE as desktop environment. So if you prefer that above Cinnamon/XFCE/Mate, then that may be a reason to switch.
Linux Mint provides a unique update manager which is in my opinion a much better experience than the Ubuntus.

I think these two points will have a greater effect on whether you like Ubuntu Studio than the audio setup, since you already have that sorted out.

nadir
Established Member

Post by nadir »

To me the audio or multimedia distributions like Ubuntustudio, Librazik, AV Linux, Jam Fedora and perhaps more are more interesting to look what kind of software is out there.Librazik has software not to be found in the debian repos itself, so usually i have it added as a repository for a very few apps i don't find in the debian repos (i really only use a very few anyway, i don't do that much audio stuff).
Those are the two things i use multimedia distros for (a) look what is out there b) add what is not in the default repos).The general setup for audio can be done in any distro (for some it might be hard, sure).
So i do agree with what others said. Any distro will do (besides really obscure ones, i guess). And Mint sure does too.

Edit: to make this really clear, i am more of a beginner and very much of an amateur. Just 2 Cents.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

nadir wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:35 pm

Those are the two things i use multimedia distros for (a) look what is out there b) add what is not in the default repos).

Yeah, one advantage of a specialized distro for music could be software availability in its repo. They could pack more, and more up-to-date stuff.

That said, the only pro-audio applications on my pc from Mint's own repo are actually just the Jack audio server and jack-mixer. All the rest is from github, kx, and elsewhere anyway.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Impostor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:01 pm

Those are the two things i use multimedia distros for (a) look what is out there b) add what is not in the default repos).

Yeah, one advantage of a specialized distro for music could be software availability in its repo. They could pack more, and more up-to-date stuff.

That said, the only pro-audio applications on my pc from Mint's own repo are actually just the Jack audio server and jack-mixer. All the rest is from github, kx, and elsewhere anyway.

Yes, that. But then again, that's what I thought about KXStudio. Then the the (single) maintainer had a little thing called "life" that got in the way and it got less and less. I try to get used to use stuff that's in the stadard repo's that come with my mainstream distro. Might not be "sexy" but it can save you a lot of hassle in the future. Just my 2 cents to the TS. :)

nadir
Established Member

Post by nadir »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:26 am
Impostor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:01 pm

Yes, that. But then again, that's what I thought about KXStudio. Then the the (single) maintainer had a little thing called "life" that got in the way and it got less and less. I try to get used to use stuff that's in the stadard repo's that come with my mainstream distro. Might not be "sexy" but it can save you a lot of hassle in the future. Just my 2 cents to the TS. :)

I didn't mention KX, because to me it was not clear what exactly it is. Thanks for mentioning it clear.
I think one could still use it though, no?

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

nadir wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:43 am

I didn't mention KX, because to me it was not clear what exactly it is. Thanks for mentioning it clear.
I think one could still use it though, no?

Yes. You can definitely still use the KXStudio repositories. As a matter of fact most Linux musicians do. I recently switched from the latest Carla version (from the KXStudio repo's) to the one that comes w/ my distro. So I just now noticed that I myself don't use the KXStudio reop's at all anymore. Removed 'm from Synaptic (my package manager).

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

For current Carla packages I just use only the KX apps repo and remove all others. Most of the plugins in the plugins section are not being updated for several years, except for a few specific ones which falktx has a hand in development which I source individually if I want them.

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-debian/apps/ubuntu focal main
Skalman
Established Member

Post by Skalman »

Thank You All!
My conclusion is, stay with the Focusrite extarnal sound-card and the XP computer and use the MuseScore/Rosegarden and similer software and soft synts with sampled akustic instruments and start new sessions on the linux Mint.
I noticed it is comming more and more "thing" to the Linux World.
Thanks .
By the Way...Happy Easter.

bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

Linux Mint is a good choice.
I have all set with Mint too... + aside my music journey, I do all other computer/admin stuff with that computer, as it is very versatile.

You can set the kernel to low latency if you would have delay someday:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=302345

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^