Ugritone has linux-native drum plugin!

Subforum for advertisements. Anything that might be interesting to the LinuxMusicians community is fair game here: hardware or software, Free or proprietary, go wild!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Hedon
Established Member

Re: Ugritone has linux-native drum plugin!

Post by Hedon »

Although kind of dated, I just found this thread, so hope I'm not violating any forum terms with necro-bumping.

I just wanted to say that this thread is EXCELLENT, and I only wish I'd found it sooner. I've been frustrated with the drum situation on Linux DAWs for a long time now. I've been looking for a viable Linux-native workflow for a LONG time, but without success, until now!

I've tried DrumGizmo, AVL Drumkits, and even Hydrogen, but found all to be lacking in some respect. Due to the lack of linux options, I decided to setup a Windows laptop as a dedicated "drum station"....either tracking Live MIDI, or importing MIDI, and processing the MIDI into audio tracks. I've looked into Windows offerings such as MT PowerDrumKit, PerfectDrums, StevenSlateDrums, and EZDrummer, before deciding that EZD3 was the best fit for ME and MY tastes. But that workflow is a PITA and sucks some of the joy from making music. I've seen folks mention that they have gotten MTPDK and EZD to work with Wine and yabridge or carla. I've run Windows programs in Wine on Linux before and haven't been impressed. Honestly, it seems like some things work, others don't, and it's just a matter of time before a software update of something causes the whole fragile stack to fall. So I've never bothered.

And then I see this thread on Ugritone with native Linux solution. I had never even HEARD of Ugritone before, so it was never on my radar. I was ALL OVER their website, but couldn't find ANY mention of Linux as a system requirement; no instructions; no "secret downloads page"; .....hell, no MENTION of the word Linux. But folks on here sweared and declared that, upon purchase, a Linux download option would be presented. Took a leap of faith and, sure enough, there was!

Currently building a new OS as an audio station, with KX Repos, Ardour and Reaper DAWS. So I loaded up the Ugritone plugin based on the instructions in THIS thread (cuz there's NOTHING on the Ugritone website) and it works, as represented! I can't wait to get my new OS up and running, with linux-native Ugritone Drums vsti plugins, and learn how to tweak the drums the way I want. I used to look at drum tracks as a chore to get to the fun stuff, but now I'm actually looking forward to some Ugritone drum tracks! AWESOME info in this thread!

Now that Ugritone is on my radar, I'm checking out ALL their offerings on their webpage and see a lot of things I'd like to purchase, if I only knew it was linux-compatible. I was eyeing up the Ampenstein guitar plugin, and saw the Retkifier plugin just this week. Anyone know if these have a linux version?

Or are Ugritone linux offerings limited to drum vsti? I contacted Ugritone, but it's been over a week and still no response (just as others have indicated in this thread....slow to respond). Considering the slow response of Ugritone, I'd like to avoid the process of ordering to find out, then immediately asking for a refund because a linux link wasn't an option.

Does anyone have a list of linux versions of Ugritone products? Or maybe we could start a list in this thread? I saw Riot Drums and KVLT Drums listed in this thread. I purchased Total Studio Drums, which apparently includes Tight Studio Drums, according to the Ugritone YouTube demo. What else does Ugritone have for Linux? And I'd specifically like to know about their guitar plugins for Ampenstein & Retkifier.

fruen
Established Member

Post by fruen »

All theirs drums have linux installers. I'm afraid that Ampenstein & Retkifier are unfortunately only for Windows and Mac. The same applies to their reverb plugin.

Hedon
Established Member

Post by Hedon »

Bummer, but exactly the information I'm looking for. Thanks Fru!

At one point in time, their drum plugins were Windows and Mac only. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll eventually offer a Linux version of their other software. I see LOTS of stuff I'd happily pay for, in a linux-native format. If that happens, I hope whomever figures it out first will post it here and let the rest of us know about it!