AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 (AVL-MXe) Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

AlkuK
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 (AVL-MXe) Released!

Post by AlkuK »

Pipewire or no, I will gíve this a whirl once spring settles in, here. Good luck, GMaq, and thanks.

anahata
Established Member

AV Linux MX Edition 23.1 - Zoom sound problem

Post by anahata »

Anyone tried using Zoom on AVL-MXe?
Most software is playing sound back fine (YouTube on Firefox, Ardour, KDEnlive) but when I tried setting up a Zoom test meeting and hit the "test speaker" button the sound was a horrid rasping noise that was barely recognizable as the test tone chopped up so it played at something like 1/4 speed.
Sound H/W in use is an RME Multiface II. As stated above, it works with everything else.

I think I have a video player that also chops the sound up, but I installed a different one which was was fine, and didn't think any more about it.

It's not urgent as I can run Zoom on another PC.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Sounds like a general PipeWire issue for sure, is there any way to get an error log from Zoom? Or a terminal output?

There is a PipeWire troubleshooting doc here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire ... leshooting

Also you might get more visibility and help for Zoom questions on the MX Linux forum, AVL-MXe is using the same default PipeWire packages as MX Linux and there might be more business minded Users there with insight into using Zoom.

MrZed
Established Member

Post by MrZed »

Sorry to say, but the so-called pipewire-Zoom-issue doesn't occur in my MX23 installation. I have installed all the necessary apps I need to do ANY audio/multimedia work without any glitches. QkackCtl, QSynth, Zoom, Skype, Reaper (Wine_Staging, my preffered DAW), etc., etc., works perfectly, However, on a test installation of the latest AV Linux MX (your latest iteration), I have encountered ALL the problems discussed here and in the MX Forums. What's even more frustrating is the fact that when you upgrade the "pimp-wire" from MX's Test repos the dialogue box tells you that Pulseaudio will be uninstalled ... Hell! Pulseaudio is NOT installed in MX 23!

I can only say that I consider your AV Linux MX bloatware and garbage insofar that it does NOT advance audio/mutimedia production on Linux ... I will therefore create an in-depth tutorial on how to create a audio/multimedia power-house using MX23 ...

Better time spent collecting the sap from your maples Glen!

Sorry for the rain ...

Zeke

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@MrZed

I don't think you're "sorry for the rain" at all, but hopefully you feel better after having your say.

I'm not going to defend my work, it suits people or it doesn't...*shrugs

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

MrZed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:32 pm

Sorry for the rain ...

Smells more like piss.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

pimp-wire, I like the sound of that..

pimpwire.jpg
pimpwire.jpg (151.7 KiB) Viewed 446 times
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

MrZed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:32 pm

I can only say that I consider your AV Linux MX bloatware and garbage insofar that it does NOT advance audio/mutimedia production on Linux ... I will therefore create an in-depth tutorial on how to create a audio/multimedia power-house using MX23 ...

Better time spent collecting the sap from your maples Glen!

Sorry for the rain ...

Zeke

I think your text is quite rude. Of course, it will be interesting to see when the superior tutorial is released. What kind of user support and warranty were you thinking of promising?

MrZed
Established Member

Post by MrZed »

There's no such thing as a warranty when it comes to a Linux Distro. Everything is relative/dependent on the individual's hardware specs. We don't have Linux User Forums for nothing! In the case of GMaq's newest offering, it's simply not ready for prime-time given the ongoing state of Pipewire development, unless of course, one wants to spend their time tinkering instead of creating. Granted, it works for him because he developed it on his own test machine and subsequently uses it for his projects. Others have had similar success ONLY because their hardware is close-to/akin-to what he himself uses. Many others have had quite diverse problems ... It simply boils down to "luck". I agree that he has no reason to defend his work because it's been a hard road putting together what he believes is an OOTB experience. But that's where he's wrong. His older creations, particularly, the MX21 XFCE version is hands down way more efficient than this latest experiment. You don't simply put something out-in-the-wild and expect it to be universal. Testing-beta?, yes ... prime-time?, no. He misses the point by saying

it suits people or it doesn't

It's not a question of liking something or not ... it's whether or not his Distro is compatible with a majority of hardware scenarios. You can be proud of your work without misplacing the obvious.

I should have PM'd him instead being "rude" out-in-the-wild ... my only regret.

sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Well, it has worked perfectly reliably for me on three different machines. On three different hardware. I use it every day for everything. Just completed a complete 8-song album, customer work. No problems. At Easter, I started working on a new song at home. I'll transfer it to the studio computer soon and I suspect it will work just fine there as well.

If you buy a car from a store and it doesn't work properly, is it a good idea to start your own car factory? On the Linux side, you often notice an attitude that it's fun to do your own thing as soon as a project isn't 100% what you want at that particular moment. Although a more constructive way would be to strive for cooperation and improve the existing one, together.

Of course, freedom allows it, but on the other hand, Linux is constantly branching into countless branches and may eventually explode into a super nova and be destroyed in its impossibility.

Who will benefit from it then? Then there is freedom to be without. Remember kindness and cooperation. Helping others and a better world.

Tippe
Established Member

Post by Tippe »

Hi.

Is there any chance to get a link for AVL MXE 21.3 to download?

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Tippe wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:10 pm

Hi.

Is there any chance to get a link for AVL MXE 21.3 to download?

https://downloads.bandshed.net/AVL-MXE-21.3/

Tippe
Established Member

Post by Tippe »

Thanks!

I tried to find this via web search, but could find only a torrent file.
Never used one, don't know how to use also.

Again, thanks for the link.

I will give this a try.
:D