[SOLVED] - Mackie ProFX10v3 problems

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thedoctor
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] - Mackie ProFX10v3 problems

Post by thedoctor »

I confirm that with the kernel 6.6.20 the mixer works like a charm without any particular setup.

Thanks

Federico

There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.
The Doctor

My SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/the4thdoctor

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

thedoctor wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:55 pm

I confirm that with the kernel 6.6.20 the mixer works like a charm without any particular setup.

Hello, I am trying to solve the same problem with this device, can you tell me which Linux distribution you use?
The truth is that I have no experience in changing the default kernel in the distribution, but I think it won't be difficult to find the solution.
Thanks in advance.

thedoctor
Established Member

Post by thedoctor »

Hi,
I'm a Linux Slackware user.
I'm still with lilo as boot loader as I'm ditching modern stuff like GRUB, UEFI or systemd as much as possible.

Unless you use a particular setup (e.g. luks ) compiling and running a new kernel shouldn't be problematic.
The most complex part could be building the initrd image and telling the friendly grub to add it to the boot menu.

What distro do you use?
There should be plenty of instructions on line anyway.
Cheers,
Federico

The Doctor

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

thedoctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:44 pm

Hi,
I'm a Linux Slackware user.
I'm still with lilo as boot loader as I'm ditching modern stuff like GRUB, UEFI or systemd as much as possible.

Unless you use a particular setup (e.g. luks ) compiling and running a new kernel shouldn't be problematic.
The most complex part could be building the initrd image and telling the friendly grub to add it to the boot menu.

What distro do you use?
There should be plenty of instructions on line anyway.
Cheers,
Federico

Hello Federico, thanks for answering, lately I have been using Ubuntu Studio, I had no problems with it until now, but it seems that I am going to have to change it, after seeing what you write I suppose that the whole problem is the kernel. Ubuntu in its repositories currently only reaches 6.5.0-21, and I have not been able to get it to work well. However, I have tried AVLinux, another of these distros created for musicians that has the 6.6.9 kernel and after making the corrections that Puleglot indicated, it works perfectly.

thedoctor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:44 pm

Is this for some technical reason or is it simply a matter of taste?

Grazie mille ancora.
Ti auguro il meglio.
Juan.

thedoctor
Established Member

Post by thedoctor »

On slackware the default kernel is even older 5.15.145 currently :mrgreen:

You may find useful information about the kernel compile on ubuntu here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile.

Regarding the modern stuff, I'm a DBA and not exactly young. I like to stick on tools that I know very well (and dedicate my energies to learning how to play decently the guitar) :wink: .
I also see that the patch for RT is now available for the kernel 6.6.20 https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/lin ... ts/rt/6.6/.

Please let me know if you need any help.
Many thanks,
ciao!
Federico

The Doctor

jcgm60
Established Member

Post by jcgm60 »

Well, it seems like we have some things in common, you say you're not exactly young, I'm not totally old, (I don't know if the kids in my neighborhood would agree with that) :wink: , it seems like we like the same music, I've been looking at your SounCloud, and I think I've played almost all the themes you play (I love Cantaloupe Island, but I've always found it difficult to play it decently).
Mine is the piano, and I also prefer to spend my time on music than configuring the computer, I also prefer to continue using the same OS as long as it doesn't give me problems, now with the purchase of the ProFs10v3 I have to do something to make it work , I will try to compile the new kernel and if I don't succeed I will have to install another distro.
Thank you very much for offering me your help, I don't rule out having to ask you for it. :)

Ciao
Juan