Continuing the jack/pipewire debate...

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

wtay
Established Member

Re: Continuing the jack/pipewire debate...

Post by wtay »

folderol wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:29 pm

Does anyone know if pipewire supports jack_session?

This is now marked as deprecated, yet I know of several people who use it precisely because it is very simple and lightweight.

It's not supported.

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Thanks for letting me know. It doesn't affect me (my setup doesn't need any session management) but I know a few people who will be very disappointed :(

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Audiojunkie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:47 pm

Mon, Oct 9, 2023, 09:14:41 - sercanbrack: Is it still beneficial to use the /preempt=full and /threadirqs kernel parameters with a generic kernel to make the kernel run as a realtime kernel?
Mon, Oct 9, 2023, 09:15:05 - wtay: probably, I don't know
Mon, Oct 9, 2023, 09:15:24 - wtay: whatever works for jack will probably still work

I had a problem where my live audio monitoring through my firewire device was having an : annoying latency delay. Adding threadirqs to the kernel parameter has fixed this. So I would say it can still be beneficial. :) I haven't used prempt=full though

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

wtay wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:20 am

This is now marked as deprecated, yet I know of several people who use it precisely because it is very simple and lightweight.

It's not supported.

if I am not mistaken, jack_session is a prerogative of jack clients that adopt and support it.

although it would be plain simple to add support to pipewire(-lib)jack (aka pw-jack API replacement) it's (probably) a choice of the pw upstream devs (quite literally they have read the "deprecated" writing-on-the-wall and chose to just not bother with it, go figure...; any thoughts @wtay?)

but still

in my thinking, if you, after all those years of bashing, still rely on jack_session, you may still have a friend on qjackctl as a jack_session manager, maybe forever... that said, it is going to stay always there, as long I keep the maintainer's helm ;)

cheers

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Thanks for this, very reassuring, and I'll pass the info on.
Just to add, I don't use this myself. In fact I don't use any session manager, but there are a number of Yoshimi users that do, and if some of our small band use it, then there are likely to be a lot of others that do!

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
wtay
Established Member

Post by wtay »

rncbc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:11 pm
wtay wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:20 am

It's not supported.

if I am not mistaken, jack_session is a prerogative of jack clients that adopt and support it.

although it would be plain simple to add support to pipewire(-lib)jack (aka pw-jack API replacement) it's (probably) a choice of the pw upstream devs (quite literally they have read the "deprecated" writing-on-the-wall and chose to just not bother with it, go figure...; any thoughts @wtay?)

Supporting deprecated API was not really a top priority.. but now that there is not much else to do, I guess I can give it a try.

Wim

runiq
Established Member

Post by runiq »

@wtay Is there any way to put MIDI ports on separate nodes? I currently have a single big block with Midi Through & friends.

wtay
Established Member

Post by wtay »

runiq wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:27 pm

@wtay Is there any way to put MIDI ports on separate nodes? I currently have a single big block with Midi Through & friends.

I don't think so.. I'll check it out..