Can I program a flam in Hydrogen?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jmhardin
Established Member

Can I program a flam in Hydrogen?

Post by jmhardin »

I'm working on the drum part for a song in Hydrogen, and the bridge calls for multiple flams, except I can't see how to do a flam in Hydrogen. Am I missing something or am I simply using the wrong tool for the job? The rest of the song will be laid down in Rosegarden, but I hoped to get the drum track laid down in Hydrogen and just pull it all into Rosegarden to start laying down the rest of the tracks. It's my first time recording tracks in Linux but I've spent quite a bit of time engineering real instruments so I may be missing part of the usual learning curve.

Impostor
Established Member

Re: Can I program a flam in Hydrogen?

Post by Impostor »

jmhardin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:39 am

I'm working on the drum part for a song in Hydrogen, and the bridge calls for multiple flams, except I can't see how to do a flam in Hydrogen. Am I missing something or am I simply using the wrong tool for the job? The rest of the song will be laid down in Rosegarden, but I hoped to get the drum track laid down in Hydrogen and just pull it all into Rosegarden to start laying down the rest of the tracks. It's my first time recording tracks in Linux but I've spent quite a bit of time engineering real instruments so I may be missing part of the usual learning curve.

Place two hits as close together as you want them. Lower the velocity of the 2nd hit w.r.t. the 1st or vice versa. That's all I guess? By adjusting velocity or instrument's velocity layers you can make the grace note play a different sample than the primary.

Or load a kit with dedicated flam samples.

RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

I never quite mastered this, but, as @Impostor said, there is at least one kit with a flam sample (although I don't remember which one/s). Or, if putting two snare hits close together doesn't sound quite right (like, for example, if the second hit abruptly stops the ringing out of the first), you might try a kit that has two snare options and use one of each for the flam in the way that he mentions.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

RyanH wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:13 am

(like, for example, if the second hit abruptly stops the ringing out of the first)

Doesn't that only happen if "auto stop note" is selected? Coupled with a short release time?

Attachments
autostop.png
autostop.png (13.49 KiB) Viewed 263 times
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Impostor wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:59 pm

Doesn't that only happen if "auto stop note" is selected? Coupled with a short release time?

Oh, maybe. Good point. The song I used flams for was when I first started using Hydrogen, so it's likely that I didn't know that option was there.