MOTU 828 (2024)

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

francoisromain
Established Member

Re: MOTU 828 (2024)

Post by francoisromain »

Hello,

I just found this discoussion about the motu 828 (2024).

Thank you very much @mixingmanatee for cuemix. I downloaded and it launchs here on fedora.

I am really intersted by this device to replace my rme fireface 802 (which is not really stable on fedora)

Before I buy the interface, I'd like to know

Do every i/o of the 828 work on linux (10 analog + 16 adats)?

Thank you

mixingmanatee
Established Member

Post by mixingmanatee »

francoisromain wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Hello,

I just found this discoussion about the motu 828 (2024).

Thank you very much @mixingmanatee for cuemix. I downloaded and it launchs here on fedora.

I am really intersted by this device to replace my rme fireface 802 (which is not really stable on fedora)

Before I buy the interface, I'd like to know

Do every i/o of the 828 work on linux (10 analog + 16 adats)?

Thank you

Speaking from my personal experience (since we don't officially support Linux, there has been no formal testing), the I/O works fine for me with my setup (Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS). I do know that there can be some variations depending on the specific version of the Linux kernel that you are running, as there were a handful of important fixes to class-compliant audio which went into the kernel within the past few years, but if you're on a fairly recent version of the kernel I would expect it to function correctly.

julien__m

Post by julien__m »

Linux compatibility is a buying argument for me. Especially when It is possible to use the device fully featured without using another OS.
The 828ES was solving that gracefully by providing a web interface. So far I don't understand why that way hasn't persisted especially with the ease of maintenance -> One way which works for everyone.

Unfortunately, 828ES has become difficult to find.

mixingmanatee wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:07 pm

Jared from MOTU here in a totally unofficial capacity - I was really happy to see the level of excitement about the new 828 in Linux circles! To try to help you guys out, I put together this unofficial build of CueMix 5 for Linux in my spare time that should allow you to control your 828 while it's plugged into a Linux computer. To use it, just go into the build folder and run com.motu.CueMix5.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WFhmTM ... sp=sharing MD5 Sum: 9479774d594ca9f5e80c876fd62eacb3

This should work for local control of both UltraLite-mk5 and 828 devices - For UltraLite-mk5, it should show up on the discovery page; for the 828, you'll need to click the gear icon and choose "Enable WebMIDI".

Would love to hear how it goes if it's helpful for anyone!

VennStone
Established Member

Post by VennStone »

Having easy access to the DSP in the 828 and UltraLite-mk5 on Linux is really slick. Thanks for taking the time to package that up.

No issues launching the application on Debian 12.

I'll keep my eyes out for a used UltraLite-mk5 and give it a proper shake-down / make a setup guide for InterfacingLinux.

Cheers

francoisromain
Established Member

Post by francoisromain »

Hello

I finally bought the 828 a few days ago because it works on linux.

I plugged two adat A/D in the 828 so I use 26 inputs and a few outputs for monitoirng and external effects.
It works really well.

I downloaded cue mix here. The application starts but I don't see the 828 under Available Devices.

Any Idea on what I can do to fix that?

I am on Fedora 40.

Thank you

Last edited by francoisromain on Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

francoisromain wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:02 pm

Hello

I finally bought the 828 a few days ago because it works on linux.

I plugged to adat A/D in the 828 so I use 26 inputs and a few outputs for monitoirng and external effects.
It works really well.

I downloaded cue mix here. The application starts but I don't see the 828 under Available Devices.

Any Idea on what I can do to fix that?

I am on Fedora 40.

Thank you

Did you enable WebMIDI in the application?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

francoisromain
Established Member

Post by francoisromain »

that's it. Thank you very much @bluebell

buonamorte.records
Established Member

Post by buonamorte.records »

@mixingmanatee @AudioNarwhal
Do you have news about the problems with the ultralite avb es and other avb interfaces and linux? I was waiting for a solution but probably i've to wait for the next-gen of motu avb...