AVLinux 23.1 Reaper window placement

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

FrettedSynth
Established Member

AVLinux 23.1 Reaper window placement

Post by FrettedSynth »

All windows (plugins, mixer etc.) in Reaper open center screen. Have checked all setting in Reaper to no avail. Looked in the setting menu for a fix again to no avail. Can someone possibly help a Linux newbie.

It seems as if the OS is overriding Reapers remember window position.

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AVLinux 23.1 Reaper window placement

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

You can set a Window to 'remember' it's position in the Window menu:

shot-2024-02-17_12-13-46.jpg
shot-2024-02-17_12-13-46.jpg (117.4 KiB) Viewed 478 times

You can also make some settings regarding placement of new Windows in the Settings Panel-->Windows

shot-2024-02-17_12-15-33.jpg
shot-2024-02-17_12-15-33.jpg (85.8 KiB) Viewed 478 times
FrettedSynth
Established Member

Post by FrettedSynth »

Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into AVL.
Was using Windows until I dl'ed AVL 21.1, after running on a very old machine for a couple months I installed on my main computer.
V21.1 is still on my main machine running great, hoping this year I might be able to upgrade to a new computer.
Which is why I would like to get 23.1 running, I'm not sure if 21.1 will handle e-cores?
So back on my old machine here I am installing again 23.1, Thank you again.

For the window placement in Reaper I have already tried both suggestions you mention.
The remember window placement in the window causes all plugins to open with the same placement and size of the mixer.
None of the settings in Settings\Windows\Window Display help? Who knows I could still be missing something.
Went through Reapers settings and no joy, Kind of figured as the Reaper.ini is from the AVL21.1 install.
Also tried with a clean Reaper.ini and get the same window placement. Something in the OS is overriding Reapers save window placemant.

Not a huge issue! Thanks again for the reply and the work you put into this to help an old musician who just wants to keep playing.
As soon as I can get some extra funds I will donate.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

FrettedSynth wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:12 pm

Thank you so much for the time and effort you put into AVL.
Was using Windows until I dl'ed AVL 21.1, after running on a very old machine for a couple months I installed on my main computer.
V21.1 is still on my main machine running great, hoping this year I might be able to upgrade to a new computer.
Which is why I would like to get 23.1 running, I'm not sure if 21.1 will handle e-cores?
So back on my old machine here I am installing again 23.1, Thank you again.

For the window placement in Reaper I have already tried both suggestions you mention.
The remember window placement in the window causes all plugins to open with the same placement and size of the mixer.
None of the settings in Settings\Windows\Window Display help? Who knows I could still be missing something.
Went through Reapers settings and no joy, Kind of figured as the Reaper.ini is from the AVL21.1 install.
Also tried with a clean Reaper.ini and get the same window placement. Something in the OS is overriding Reapers save window placemant.

Not a huge issue! Thanks again for the reply and the work you put into this to help an old musician who just wants to keep playing.
As soon as I can get some extra funds I will donate.

Hi and thanks..

Unfortunately I don't have any other advice to offer, to be honest I basically wrap up Reaper with a pretty bow and check that it launches and runs a couple of Plugins so I haven't used it in depth enough to have noticed this problem, I will look into it further and ask the developer of the Enlightenment Desktop Environment if there is anything else to be done..

By the way Liquorix kernels are kept updated for both AV Linux 21 and 23 so to my knowledge an e-core should be supported even with AV Linux 21 if recent Liquorix kernels support it..

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

FrettedSynth wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:06 am

All windows (plugins, mixer etc.) in Reaper open center screen. Have checked all setting in Reaper to no avail. Looked in the setting menu for a fix again to no avail. Can someone possibly help a Linux newbie.

It seems as if the OS is overriding Reapers remember window position.

If you go in reaper preferences, in the general section, there is a button called "Advanced UI/System Tweaks". At the bottom of that dialog there is a drop down menu called "Modal Window Positioning" Have you tried altering that setting?

FrettedSynth
Established Member

Post by FrettedSynth »

@GMaq - Don't beat yourself up over it, pretty small issue. Thanks for the mention of the kernel, new to Linux but will give it a try on 21.1

@Largos - Thanks, yeah tried the Reaper settings in Advanced UI/System Tweaks the OS still overrides Reapers settings for placement.

If I find a solution I will post it here.