AV Linux and RAM usage?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

SunParasite
Established Member

AV Linux and RAM usage?

Post by SunParasite »

I was reading some Wine documentations and had to ask here about Ram usage in modern linux os with atleast one good DAW running. So, how much would this take memory to keep running something like AVLINUX and the applications?

erlkönig
Established Member

Re: AV Linux and RAM usage?

Post by erlkönig »

You can find out with programs like top or htop.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

alex stone
Established Member

Post by alex stone »

erlkönig wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:52 am

You can find out with programs like top or htop.

Don't forget btop...

erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

alex stone wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:38 pm

Don't forget btop...

That's great! I've never heard of it before.

By looking for btop, i found by accident https://github.com/aguinet/usbtop - maybe it's known here, i've never heard of it before either, but it will be useful to find bottlenecks.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

nadir
Established Member

Post by nadir »

SunParasite wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:25 am

I was reading some Wine documentations and had to ask here about Ram usage in modern linux os with atleast one good DAW running. So, how much would this take memory to keep running something like AVLINUX and the applications?

If you are worried about RAM usage, because your hardware is kind of low-ressources, then a huge difference in RAM usage is between a DE (Desktop Environment) like KDE, gnome, mate, xfce and so on and a WM (Window Manager) there are like hundreds. fluxbox, icewm, i3, dwm, so on.
A DE might use up to a Gigabyte of RAM while still idle (no apps used), perhaps even more. A WM itself usually only uses a few Megabytes, between 5 and 15.

AV LInux now uses Enlightenment which is kind of a WM and kind of a DE. I am not sure. Doesn't really matter, Enlightenment itself doesn't use a lot of RAM, from that point of view it is more like a WM.

The DAW ardour, when still idle, empty session, uses around the lines of 300 MB of RAM, but that will quickly go up (if i load a very small session with only two tracks, both only a couple of beats long, it goes up to 500).

If all you want is to run a DAW, i for one see no point in using a DE, but would go for a WM. If you want to go down with RAM usage. If the provided tools show that Enlightenment on AV Linux and your exprience with your workflow are fine, you might just as well to stick to enlightenment (or install a different DE too to look if you might prefer it. Not everyone likes Enlightenment. xfce is very small if you install it, RAM usage once was small, but it isn't that small anymore).
You might also fiddle a bit with the Enlightenment settings to make it use a littel bit less.

-
If all your question was about is interest, not a worry to get more down with RAM usage, i'd assume AV LInux with an empty ardour session running uses something between 1 and 1.5 Gigs of RAM usage.

nadir
Established Member

Post by nadir »

I got curios, so i booted AV Linux in qemu.
After boot, still idle it uses ~ 350 MB of RAM.
With an empty ardour session running, it uses ~ 450 MB.
In other words: my guess in the previous comment was wrong.
both Ubuntustudio and librazik are more close to what i guessed. Yesterday i lookeda at Jam Fedora, and it is also round those lines
(Ubuntustudio and Jam Fedora use KDE per default, iirc, librazik uses Mate per default).