Synth controller UI question

Bring your custom casings, arduinos, raspberry pi's, axoloti's and other creative hardware projects

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

zare_st

Synth controller UI question

Post by zare_st »

Hello guys, this is my first post so excuse me if it's in the wrong place.

I have Nektar 88 keys controller, RPi4, Pisound and touchscreen display/case for it. I was looking into connecting everything together to make a whole synth package. My initial idea was just to load soundfonts or plugins and run through them. But now I'm also looking into loading a sequencer that can be used to multitrack MIDI recording so the system turns into a light "workstation".

In my initial idea I would boot into a preconfigured tiling window manager that would run kxStudio JACK configurator and plugin host/SF2 renderer in separate tabs. They'd start with a default session that's ready to go. If I ever need to mess around on a small screen, I have two fullscreen apps that are light on UI details under two tabs.

Now my question is whether anyone realized a project like this, and what would be the recommendation for sequencer software that can be configured to look good on a small screen.

Thanks in advance

mrz80
Established Member

Re: Synth controller UI question

Post by mrz80 »

You ought to look into Zynthian https://zynthian.org/. It's a complete hardware/software package, but you can just download the software and adapt it to your Pi4 and touchscreen controller. There's a very active developer/user community where you could seek help.

Network geek with a strong predilection for turning every scrap of wood into Telecasters and Les Pauls