How do I record separate tracks from Qtractor or Hydrogen into Ardour using Jack?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

MCJosiah
Established Member

How do I record separate tracks from Qtractor or Hydrogen into Ardour using Jack?

Post by MCJosiah »

So after a few years, I decided to get back into producing music on Linux, for many reasons of course. I originally came from FL Studio & Reaper on Windows.

During the last 2 days I've been setting up my desktop computer with MX Linux & a different kernel & desktop environment.

I've finally figured out how to install VSTs, & get JACK running with everything syncing. Like I managed to get Ardour to sync with Hydrogen & Qtractor perfectly on JACK & I can even record a single track from either program into Ardour.

But here's the next issue & question I have, how do I record separate tracks from Qtractor or Hydrogen into Ardour? Like if I have multiple instruments loaded into Qtractor & a drum sequence with multiple layers of drums in Hydrogen, how do I record the individual tracks from these programs into Ardour?

I'm using Ardour 8.2.5, Qtractor 0.9.39, & Hydrogen 1.2.0. Any advice is welcomed, thanks!

Impostor
Established Member

Re: How do I record separate tracks from Qtractor or Hydrogen into Ardour using Jack?

Post by Impostor »

In Hydrogen Audio System settings, you can select "create per-instrument Jack output ports". That's part one of the solution. You just have to create a couple of extra audio input channels in Ardour for part two. Part three consists of connecting them. Either from within Ardour, or with Qjackctl or equivalent.

I imagine you can create multiple audio output channels in Qtractor to connect them to Ardour input channels too.

rncbc
Established Member

Re: How do I record separate tracks from Qtractor or Hydrogen into Ardour using Jack?

Post by rncbc »

Impostor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:05 pm

I imagine you can create multiple audio output channels in Qtractor to connect them to Ardour input channels too.

in qtractor you create different audio output buses and assign each one as audio output to each track/channel.

Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

rncbc wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:33 pm
Impostor wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:05 pm

in qtractor you create different audio output buses and assign each one as audio output to each track/channel.

Indeed. Just took me a while to find out that assigning a track to an output bus must be done in the track's plugin right-click menu, instead of in the track's properties window.

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Maybe this is a trivial question, but why use 2 DAW's at the same time instead of one?