PD (Pure Data) crashes when unplugging USB MIDI device

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ZestieBumwhig
Established Member

PD (Pure Data) crashes when unplugging USB MIDI device

Post by ZestieBumwhig »

I asked about this in the PD forums as well, so hello to any regular readers of both sites...

I only yesterday noticed that unplugging a USB MIDI device that PD (Pure Data) is currently using as an input/output device will kill PD with a segmentation fault. I don't think this used to happen (and someone on the PD forum said it doesn't happen to them), but I don't really know how to track down this problem.

So basically, if I have "MIDI Devices" using any USB MIDI device (tested with Korg nanoKontrol2, Korg nanoPad2, and Novation Zero SL mk2), then unplug that device, PD crashes. I don't need to open MIDI Settings, or any patch, for this to happen - if a USB MIDI device is in my saved list, and is present when I open PD, it will crash when the device gets unplugged.

Any thoughts? Is it just me, something I did? (I didn't do anything I'm aware of, and I've been using PD & Linux for years now) Any better forum to ask in?

I'm running up-to-date Arch (kernel 6.7.2) and PD 0.54.1. I've re-installed PD (pacman -S pd) but nothing changes.

Screenshot_2024-01-28_10-51-57.png
Screenshot_2024-01-28_10-51-57.png (18.7 KiB) Viewed 588 times