Simple OBS recording startup

Still new to all of this? Feel free to post in any of the subforums on this site, but in this subforum newbie questions are especially encouraged!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

annoying-newbie
Established Member

Simple OBS recording startup

Post by annoying-newbie »

I am running Debian bookworm with latest OBS. I only want to record, no streaming.

I am able to record video to MP4 which works fine. Microphone not recorded but OBS displays appropriate volume levels. Microphone goes into Behringer UB802 with invisible microphone preamp and then into computer Line-In. I am using a webcam for video but I guess it also has a microphone and goes into USB port. Microphone works great with Sound Recorder app. The OBS audio source labels are confusing. Is there a good tutorial that covers using a microphone with line-in and how to select correct audio source? I would rather not install any other packages if OBS can handle this. If I wanted to get complicated I would try using my "new(used)" M-Audio FirewireSolo interface. Not happening. At least not now. Again, this setup works with SoundRecorder. Thanks.

d.healey
Established Member

Re: Simple OBS recording startup

Post by d.healey »

annoying-newbie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:41 pm

I am running Debian bookworm with latest OBS. I only want to record, no streaming.

I am able to record video to MP4 which works fine. Microphone not recorded but OBS displays appropriate volume levels. Microphone goes into Behringer UB802 with invisible microphone preamp and then into computer Line-In. I am using a webcam for video but I guess it also has a microphone and goes into USB port. Microphone works great with Sound Recorder app. The OBS audio source labels are confusing. Is there a good tutorial that covers using a microphone with line-in and how to select correct audio source? I would rather not install any other packages if OBS can handle this. If I wanted to get complicated I would try using my "new(used)" M-Audio FirewireSolo interface. Not happening. At least not now. Again, this setup works with SoundRecorder. Thanks.

Unless you need OBS specifically I recommend you try simple screen recorder - https://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
annoying-newbie
Established Member

YES. I plan to use OBS greenscreen if I can get it working.

Please no recommendations on other software or packages, just audio source selection, etc. If you need further information like screenshots then glad to supply.

d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

Start by opening the advanced audio properties

[Untitled].jpg
[Untitled].jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

And check which tracks your audio inputs are assigned to. I like to have the desktop audio on one track and the mic on another so I can edit them independently. But note when playing back the video in a regular video playing app it will only play back one of the tracks. If this is how you have things setup and you are not hearing one of the channels in your video player app it could just be you need to change the app's configuration.

Screenshot from 2023-09-26 15-43-18.png
Screenshot from 2023-09-26 15-43-18.png (25.5 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

Under the output settings make sure you are recording as Matroska Video .mkv. And if you don't already have multiple audio tracks enabled you can enable additional ones here.

output.jpg
output.jpg (34.4 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

If OBS volume meters are registering the signal from your mic correctly then there is no problem with getting audio into OBS.

David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
annoying-newbie
Established Member

Thanks for info... part of problem was linux sound output not OBS

trawglodyte
Established Member

Post by trawglodyte »

I saw your post, even though it's a few months old I thought this was a good place to put my quick and dirty OBS setup video. I answer your question at the beginning. https://odysee.com/@trawg:3/OBS-settings:0

Also, there is an "obs background removal" plugin you can get. You don't even need a green screen. Not gonna lie, it's not great. For blurring background it's okay, but for background removal it doesn't trim around the subject very well. Nonetheless, the best way to get it to work right now is with the flatpak OBS version and flatpak obs-backgroud-removal. And I don't even like flatpak, it's just hard to get that plugin working with repository package or .deb's and so forth.