Nico from Italy says Hi

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pH3ra
Established Member

Nico from Italy says Hi

Post by pH3ra »

Hey there, I'm Nico from Pavia (Italy).
I just started to play music again after a long time and I wanted to start recording some stuff I do alone and with friends. At the same time I run almost exclusively Free and Open Source Software and I'm really glad I've found this place :D
I play mostly guitar and drums, and lately I'm enjoying chiptune music so the software I'm using the most are Guitarix, Hydrogen and Famistudio, while in the meanwhile I'm getting the gist of Ardour.
I've been a long time Linux user (10+ yrs) but I never dug deep into it or set up a proper system focused on music production, so I'm kinda new in this field. As for now I'm running Debian 12 (I've seen a lot of those around here) and I'm still trying to figure out if I want a PipeWire or a Jack+Pulseaudio System, so if you have any suggestion I'm open.

I'm glad to be here and looking forward to be part of this community.
Cheers
Nico

folderol
Established Member

Re: Nico from Italy says Hi

Post by folderol »

Welcome.
I'm inclined to think that for a new Linux music user pipewire would be the easier option, although some of us old-timers will probably stick with Jack - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Nico from Italy says Hi

Post by Basslint »

Benvenuto Nico il pavese :D If you want a distro with good diffusion amongst Italians, try openSUSE. I, along with a few friends (like @Kott who's a frequent poster here), help manage a repository containing music software called multimedia:proaudio, and the community for it called GeekosDAW. We are on Telegram at https://t.me/geekosdaw (English-speaking, but I see you speak it well! We're also on Matrix.org) and there is a related non-music openSUSE Italian community at https://t.me/opensuseitalia . Sorry for the self-plug, I rarely do it but as a former Debian user, long-time Linux user and Italian myself, I think you would like our project :D

As for Pipewire, many in our community are using it. There have been some minor issues in the past but it's perfectly workable, especially if you do electronic music "in the box" (no external peripherals).

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!