Routing all sound from Ubuntu Studio to audio interface

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

swizzler
Established Member

Routing all sound from Ubuntu Studio to audio interface

Post by swizzler »

I have a Scarlett 2i2 hooked up to Ubuntu Studio 22.04. I'm trying to get all sound to go through the headphone monitor, including Youtube videos. Currently, playback on Ardour and Audacity will go through the headphones, but videos continue to play on the laptop speakers.

I thought maybe I should set "USB device that should be master" in Studio Controls to USB1, the only option besides No USB Master, but then when starting Jack, it says "Failed to Start". If there are logs for Jack that would help, I wasn't sure where to find them.

I'm very new to all this audio software. I saw some information about using something called Carla Patchbay for routing the sound, but I was getting lost trying that.

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Routing all sound from Ubuntu Studio to audio interface

Post by glowrak guy »

In the AVLinux distro, this happens by default by way of a nice script, I think it's called 'pa-jack-connect' so I can record audio from blends of firefox, vlc, audacity and reaper into timemachine or other recording software. Entries are added to qjackctl for dealing with pulse, jack, and alsa in sensible ways. I think a new version of AVLinux is out, including pipewire support, so if you can set up a second linux (always good luck, in my experience) you can have two excellent setups.

This might also be useful in your existing setup: https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/20 ... untu-2204/

Cheers

swizzler
Established Member

Post by swizzler »

Thanks for the info. I'm going through the Ubuntu Studio wiki right now seeing if it answers my questions.

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

swizzler wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:10 am

Thanks for the info. I'm going through the Ubuntu Studio wiki right now seeing if it answers my questions.

It's a bit complicated with Linux since there are different audio and MIDI systems used.

• ALSA MIDI and JACK MIDI
  • ALSA audio, Pulseaudio audio and JACK audio

Recent systems introduce Pipewire that wants to be everything and can emulate these systems.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

It's very easy when using JACK and PA. Just open pavucontrol and make sure your default sink is PulseAudio JACK Sink. After that all the PA applications should output on the JACK device.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

swizzler
Established Member

Post by swizzler »

LAM wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 am

It's very easy when using JACK and PA. Just open pavucontrol and make sure your default sink is PulseAudio JACK Sink. After that all the PA applications should output on the JACK device.

Could you explain this a bit more? I don't see any such option in pavucontrol:

Screenshot_20231221_142220.png
Screenshot_20231221_142220.png (114.86 KiB) Viewed 30731 times
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

It looks like you are using PipeWire, not JACK+PA, latest Ubuntu Studio uses it by default.

You can try setting "Set as fallback" (the right most button) on your preferred soundcard, or manually select the preferred soundcard as your app/client's destination in your Playback tab, it should remember the choice.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

swizzler
Established Member

Post by swizzler »

LAM wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:43 am

It looks like you are using PipeWire, not JACK+PA, latest Ubuntu Studio uses it by default.

You can try setting "Set as fallback" (the right most button) on your preferred soundcard, or manually select the preferred soundcard as your app/client's destination in your Playback tab, it should remember the choice.

Hmm, I'm using the latest LTS, do you mean the latest regular release?

Nice, setting fallback worked, at least initially. Then a couple times, the sound of the Youtube video just stopped playing, but I can still hear the microphone in the headphones. Looking at Pulse Audio, the playback tab showed it was playing and routed to the Scarlett. Switching the output back and forth didn't work, although the sound did go of out the speakers when set to that. What worked was unplugging and replugging the USB.

And two minutes later, it just happened again. No idea what's going on.

mk1967
Established Member

Post by mk1967 »

If you like to run JACK under UbuntuStudio you might try Cadence https://kx.studio/Applications:Cadence.
This is the only way to make it work on my machines which did not wreck my nerves completely. :wink:
I have no idea why but it has been my experience.
Cadence has been available in UbuntuStudio's sources from 22.04 on. By the way, to install it, I have used Apt or Synaptic. (Discover could not find Cadence, I don't know why.)

bueycansao
Established Member

Post by bueycansao »

I just wanted to let you know I struggle in a same way. I got Ubuntu Studio 22.04 with the external sound-card Scarlett 2i2. When I connect my digital piano with an M-audio midi interface to my laptop and I open up Yoshimi, it works in a magical way 8). I'm trying to find a 'The Doors'-like sound.

When I start combining multiple applications (like Ardour and QjackCtl, or Ardour and Cadence and Catia), I get lost. Sometimes I got monotonous humming when pressing a piano-key. YouTube videos seemed to load only when I shut down all other applications...

I'm going to dig into some manuals and when I find out what these issues are, I'll try to make an overview.

Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

swizzler wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:23 pm
LAM wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 am

Could you explain this a bit more? I don't see any such option in pavucontrol:

When you click the drop down menu for your laptop speakers + headphones, what are the options?

swizzler
Established Member

Post by swizzler »

Largos wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:37 pm

When you click the drop down menu for your laptop speakers + headphones, what are the options?

Hmm, well now I can't even start Ubuntu Studio. I tried twice to boot into the partition containing that distro. The first time, it sort of loaded but was glitchy and the taskbar/app bar was missing. The second time, it froze when I entered two letters into the login password box.

So I might try installing the latest regular release version 23 versus the 22 LTS I have. If that doesn't work I might experiment with other distros or possibly even Windows (shudder).

mk1967
Established Member

Post by mk1967 »

swizzler wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 5:05 pm

If that doesn't work I might experiment with other distros.

I've been working with LibraZiK Studio Audio https://librazik.tuxfamily.org/base-sit ... nglish.php for several years - it is based on Debian 11 (at the moment), the fastest and most reliable multimedia distribution that I have seen so far.